• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fundraising Section Rules

Damn why cant I find things like this at a car boot sale :roll: would be a long walk home with a 7ft hutch though!!

Who'd have thought one of those would turn up at a car boot sale. Miracles will never cease :)

Would it help if those of us who payed after the thread was reopened stated if we wanted a refund or the money donating to Woodgreen? At least then you could let Maggie know and she won't have an excuse to hang on to the remaining money!

I'd have thought that the best option is for all the money to be sent to woodgreen in full (and it confirmed that the money stays there and doesn't bounce a few days after confirmation...). If it subsequently turns out to have been fraudulent and that the prize does not exist, it's not WoodGreen's problem; they have simply received a generous donation and the only reason people could legitimately demand their money back would be if there is evidence of fraud. The OP would then be responsible for paying everyone back out of his/her own pocket if they obtained money by deception. Wouldn't it be lovely if a fraudster actually ended up having to give the same amount of money back out of their own pocket as they tried to steal in the first place :lol:

Last edited:
Well a week has now passed since the raffle.

I am slightly confused, so could someone please clarify the following for me.

Has all the money been donated to the rescue, or just some of the money collected from RU - of course the true amount may never be known.

Is Maggie still holding some money in case people ask for a refund? if so, have people contacted her, if not surely a week is long enough to have decided whether to claim it back, and therefore all the money should now be passed to the rescue.

Has the lucky person who won the hutch been back on the forum to claim their prize? If not was a timescale set to claim the prize, could the raffle be redrawn if not claimed?

Has the prize been despatched, if so could proof of postage/courier be asked for?

I'm off to work now, so perhaps someone could fill in the missing spaces while I'm gone:D

good questions!

Indeed! I would guess maggie had to get 'thenotnormalone's address to send the hutch to her wouldn't she? Or if 'thenotnormalone' was collecting herself (cos she also was lucky enough to win a pick-up truck in a raffle the week before - honestly you couldn't make it up! :p) - 'thenotnormalone' will have to have procured maggie's address won't she?

I agree she's had long enough to claim her prize though - definitely time for a redraw if she's vanished without claiming it - I hope everyone's hung onto their tickets! :D

I've contacted everyone that sent money directly regarding a refund and I am waiting for a few more replies. If you sent money and haven't received a message from me let me know.

probably a silly question but why cant a trustee for a rescue setup a paypal account for that rescue then any funds being raised for the rescue all go to that one paypal account, surely rescues keep separate bank accounts to thier personal accounts? dont matter who does the fund raising then because there could be an approved list of paypal accounts for each of the rescues and those are the adresses that people send cash to :?

yes and no.

Charities have special discounted rates on paypal accounts which are quite hard to get and you have to go through a massive series of hoops to get them. A non registered charity like honeybunnies might not be able to get a charity paypal so could face big fees. We are trying to get a second account set up for our trading arm and it is a complete nightmare! If a charity already had a paypal account for some purpose it could be difficulty to get a new one opened and again the rescue would have to be the monitor of the paypal account to ensure that everyone one who said they had paid on RU actually had. There is absolutely no way that we would give a non trustee fundraiser access to our paypal accounts to check themselves :) Given that rescues are already stretched for time and like us they could have an already active paypal account, they may not be willing to let the fundraiser donate straight in to paypal unless if is the charity owner/trustee, especially if they are not active RU members.

Many rescues do have separate bank accounts but there is no legal obligation for you to do so, even if you are a registered charity (& you must register if your turnover is >5k a year). The charity commission isn't keen on you sharing bank account but it can be done as long as impecable records are maintained. One paypal can only be linked to one bank account and visa versa so again there could be difficulties for the rescue there.

yes and no.

Charities have special discounted rates on paypal accounts which are quite hard to get and you have to go through a massive series of hoops to get them. A non registered charity like honeybunnies might not be able to get a charity paypal so could face big fees. We are trying to get a second account set up for our trading arm and it is a complete nightmare! If a charity already had a paypal account for some purpose it could be difficulty to get a new one opened and again the rescue would have to be the monitor of the paypal account to ensure that everyone one who said they had paid on RU actually had. There is absolutely no way that we would give a non trustee fundraiser access to our paypal accounts to check themselves :) Given that rescues are already stretched for time and like us they could have an already active paypal account, they may not be willing to let the fundraiser donate straight in to paypal unless if is the charity owner/trustee, especially if they are not active RU members.

Many rescues do have separate bank accounts but there is no legal obligation for you to do so, even if you are a registered charity (& you must register if your turnover is >5k a year). The charity commission isn't keen on you sharing bank account but it can be done as long as impecable records are maintained. One paypal can only be linked to one bank account and visa versa so again there could be difficulties for the rescue there.

:shock::shock::shock: wow that is complicated :shock::shock::shock:

I think if only paypal addresses are used which the rescue has authorised to admin..and/or money can be paid straight to rescue or their vet
pictures of prizes not to be taken off the net but must be taken in situ
If prize to be delivered direct from place of sale..then evidence of this agreement with seller to be given
then problem solved..:D

Well a week has now passed since the raffle.

I am slightly confused, so could someone please clarify the following for me.

Has all the money been donated to the rescue, or just some of the money collected from RU - of course the true amount may never be known.

Is Maggie still holding some money in case people ask for a refund? if so, have people contacted her, if not surely a week is long enough to have decided whether to claim it back, and therefore all the money should now be passed to the rescue.

Has the lucky person who won the hutch been back on the forum to claim their prize? If not was a timescale set to claim the prize, could the raffle be redrawn if not claimed?

Has the prize been despatched, if so could proof of postage/courier be asked for?

I'm off to work now, so perhaps someone could fill in the missing spaces while I'm gone:D

No one seemed to enlighten me:?

I was wondering too, everyone just seems to have forgotten about it

ah it's that big carpet in the ether - comes in really handy for sweeping stuff under ;)

I think we have to accept that 'maggie' has got away with it, due to the nature of online fraud being hard to track down and hard to prove - ALLEGEDLY of course - because well we don't want to be sued by her for defamation of character do we :?

like I said in my thread about fraud in gen chat, it's wood green have been defrauded, so it's up to them to pursue it. I haven't heard back from them in reply to my email so I assume they're not bothered about £50 - which is of course why these people get away with fraud - steal a little from everyone, and you make money and nobody complains loudly enough to worry about :roll:

ah it's that big carpet in the ether - comes in really handy for sweeping stuff under ;)

I think we have to accept that 'maggie' has got away with it, due to the nature of online fraud being hard to track down and hard to prove - ALLEGEDLY of course - because well we don't want to be sued by her for defamation of character do we :?

like I said in my thread about fraud in gen chat, it's wood green have been defrauded, so it's up to them to pursue it. I haven't heard back from them in reply to my email so I assume they're not bothered about £50 - which is of course why these people get away with fraud - steal a little from everyone, and you make money and nobody complains loudly enough to worry about :roll:

I hope not:?

I was looking forward to photos of lovely bunnies in their new hutch:)

Actually, as I posted a week ago, I've been dealing with everyone involved direct... after all they are the ones who should decide what they feel is the correct thing to happen and where they want their money to go - don't you think?

Back