• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Those who have chose NOT to vaccinate

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's up to emmiiee to decide what things are most important first. No-one can put their rabbits needs first all the time, things pop up that change priorities, and no-one should pressure emmiiee into getting her rabbits vaccinated, she's already said she'll vaccinate them when she can.

I plan to get them vac'd, but I fear that once their vac'd they may get ill, as some people on here have said, their buns were fine UNTILL vac'd and they they have loads of problems

Can you give examples of these bunnies?

Are you talking side effects or the vaccinations bringing out illnesses that were not previously known or unhealthy bunnies being vaccinated?

It's up to emmiiee to decide what things are most important first. No-one can put their rabbits needs first all the time, things pop up that change priorities, and no-one should pressure emmiiee into getting her rabbits vaccinated, she's already said she'll vaccinate them when she can.

I think that many/most (nearly all???) people on here would put their rabbits before things like Xmas and new bedroom furniture . . and personally I would put vacs before new set ups for the buns.

Rescues also usually make it a condition of adoption that the adopter vaccinates for the rest of the buns life,

I have seen myxi first hand close up several times and would do everything in my power to stop my buns getting it. We are coming up to the very worst time of year for it and NOW is the time to vaccinate.

if it is a question between vaccinating or neutering, the vaccination has to be your top priority.

Especially since there have been reported outbreaks in Bristol this year.
I know a very good vet in Bristol you will give you a discount if you have all 7 done. He will also give you a discount for the neutering if you have several bunnies done.

I only paid 60 for the spay of my 2 girls each. At this vet you also only pay 12.50 per consultation, and he is really bunny savvy and loves all animals.
I can give you his details if you want.

unfortunately even indoor bunnies can get Myxi and Vhd, through Mosquitos, fleas, any blood sucking insect.

I always have mine vaccinated.

Is there something you could do to earn some extra pocket money?

i must admit, my previous buns never had vaccs in the 8-9 yrs i had them and they were fine.however i just think i was extremely fortunate with them. their parents had the vaccs though. I was going to get them done but their brother died from his and it put me off. Now i understand rabbits better i would always have them done though.

Cool.

The only example I can see where you might construe it as the vaccinations making them ill might be

bluelop said:
Also I never had them vaccinated as it was not discussed much then and had no problems. Now I have them vaccinated every 6 months and 2 of my buns over the last couple of years have caught myxi in spite of being up to date. Luckily they survived after treatment but still upsetting.

But I think something to take into account is that that is the only part identified (i.e. they have been vaccinated). It doesn't take into account whether or not there are more wild bunnies around, or more standing water, or living in a different area or if myxo is more prevalent in that area or whether there are more flies and fleas around, or more animals around (like cats) who belong to owners who have not been treating their animals for fleas so are spreading them around more, or if there are more rodents around in the area or more hedghogs, etc.

Do you see what I mean? The only thing mentioned there was vaccinations, but the rest of the factors that could have an effect on whether or not a rabbit is more likely to get myxo had not been mentioned. The most important thing to focus on in that whole paragraph was the bit that says

bluelop said:
Luckily they survived after treatment

Had those bunnies not been vaccinated, that would almost certainly not have been the case.

that thread did NOT say that vaccines make buns ill - it said that, sadly, however loved an animal is, sometimes it becomes ill, whereas others that are not loved do not always become ill.

So for example:

I am a well loved person (aren't I lucky!!) and (co-incidentally) I also had a polio injection when I was 3 years old, and yet for the last three months I have had a slipped disc -

other people (sadly) do not have someone who loves them, and did not (co-incidentaly) have polio injections when they were little , and yet have not had slipped discs.

none of these are in any way related - and my slipped disc cannot be blamed either on a polio injection or being loved!!!

if it is a question between vaccinating or neutering, the vaccination has to be your top priority.

Especially since there have been reported outbreaks in Bristol this year.
I know a very good vet in Bristol you will give you a discount if you have all 7 done. He will also give you a discount for the neutering if you have several bunnies done.

I only paid 60 for the spay of my 2 girls each. At this vet you also only pay 12.50 per consultation, and he is really bunny savvy and loves all animals.
I can give you his details if you want.

unfortunately even indoor bunnies can get Myxi and Vhd, through Mosquitos, fleas, any blood sucking insect.

I always have mine vaccinated.

Is there something you could do to earn some extra pocket money?

I don't travel, infact barely leave the house, so my mum mainly takes the buns to the vets etc I don't work, and am on DLA

Mine are already register with our local vets(alexandra and hillyfeilds), all my famillies animals are their, there a really good vets!

I don't travel, infact barely leave the house, so my mum mainly takes the buns to the vets etc I don't work, and am on DLA

Mine are already register with our local vets(alexandra and hillyfeilds), all my famillies animals are their, there a really good vets!

A really good vet is one that will stress how very very important vaccinations are. Therefore I think you should discuss this with your vet.

A really good vet is one that will stress how very very important vaccinations are. Therefore I think you should discuss this with your vet.

ofcourse they know how important they are!!

dosn't change the fact i can't get them done untill I am able to!!

its not about not affording them

ive heard that buns who have HAD the jabs getting the actual illness

whereas buns that have never had vax, never getting ill :/

Then why did you post this???

Now you are saying that you know they are important and yet you cant get them done yet - the total opposite of what you said in your earlier post!

Then why did you post this???

Now you are saying that you know they are important and yet you cant get them done yet - the total opposite of what you said in your earlier post!

Well everyone else seems to think their important!! lots of things are important dosn't mean people do them!!

I wanted to know if anyone else didn't see the need to vacs them

Answering personally I would never not vaccinate a rabbit unless it already had a life threatening illness or serious immune deficiency of another kind which made the vaccine dangerous to give.

Even then, having seen myxi close up, I would think very hard which was the worse scenario.

I would never prioritise something else in life over the provision of vaccines for the rabbits.

Well everyone else seems to think their important!! lots of things are important dosn't mean people do them!!

I wanted to know if anyone else didn't see the need to vacs them

You say you "Don't see the need" to vaccinate them.....

Answering personally I would never not vaccinate a rabbit unless it already had a life threatening illness or serious immune deficiency of another kind which made the vaccine dangerous to give.

Even then, having seen myxi close up, I would think very hard which was the worse scenario.

I would never prioritise something else in life over the provision of vaccines for the rabbits.

But how do u no your rabbit have a life threatening illness before you give them it!! how do I no one of my buns has i duno a heart defect or something and they i vacs them and they die!

well you are very lucky you can put your rabbits ahead of everything else in you life good for you:), sadly I cannot!!

But how do u no your rabbit have a life threatening illness before you give them it!! how do I no one of my buns has i duno a heart defect or something and they i vacs them and they die!

well you are very lucky you can put your rabbits ahead of everything else in you life good for you:), sadly I cannot!!

You don't. A good vet and a good owner, together can work out in the huge majority of cases whether or not the rabbit is well. There will always be times when that is not possible, but very, very rarely do you actually hear about those situations.

Normally, if you're going to hear about anything, it is rabbits with existing conditions being vaccinated when they shouldn't and not coping.

It's a percentages game and weighing up the risks and the pros and the cons.

Whatever the owner does they have to be 100% comfortable in themselves with what they have done, and then it won't matter what anyone else says.

Had someone told me I should have vaccinated Wish or Badger it would have been irrelevant to me because I knew that was not the case.

You say you "Don't see the need" to vaccinate them.....

if anyone else thought they didnt need vac's and have never been ill etc!

so far I've have 7 rabbits for up to 18months living along side, guinea pigs, cats, dogs, chickens, hamsters

and none of them have been ill apart from self inflicted injuries!:roll:

My 2 are vaccinated against myxi but not against VHD because at the moment I can't find a vet near to me who doesn't use cylap, and I'm not going to get my rabbits vaccinated with cylap because of the side effects. People may disagree, but that's what I think.
I am looking for a vet that doesn't use cylap, and if I can't I will ask for it to be ordered in. It may not be for a while until they are vaccinated against VHD but the rescue I got them from said that myxi was the priority so they've had that and I'll get them vaccinated against VHD as soon as I can.

I don't know whereabouts in Surrey you are but my vet in Windlesham uses Anivac and/or Lapinject

http://www.windleshamvet.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back