• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Those who have chose NOT to vaccinate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didnt have my last two rabbits vaccinated they both had no problems (myxi or vhd related), one died of cancer and the other had to be put to sleep due to dental problems other than this they were healthy for 4 years.

Now I have two new rabbits I have decided to have them vaccinated as I feel after losing my old two I could not bear to lose them from something I could have prevented.

But at the end of the day it is your choice:) xx

Last edited:
I dont vaccinate mine against Myxi as it has been abolished here :) My vet has said he could order some in for me if I really wanted it, but he doesnt even vaccinate his own buns. I also spoke to my rescue about it and she doesnt vaccinate either.

Me and my buns are very lucky where we live :love:

My 2 are vaccinated against myxi but not against VHD because at the moment I can't find a vet near to me who doesn't use cylap, and I'm not going to get my rabbits vaccinated with cylap because of the side effects. People may disagree, but that's what I think.
I am looking for a vet that doesn't use cylap, and if I can't I will ask for it to be ordered in. It may not be for a while until they are vaccinated against VHD but the rescue I got them from said that myxi was the priority so they've had that and I'll get them vaccinated against VHD as soon as I can.

Digs wasn't vaccinated when I got him from his old owner so I've done it.nelly was done at rescue but needs VHD in 2 weeks. They are indoor buns but cos I have cats they gotta be done.

Everyone makes there own choices on if they vaccinate or not nobody has any right right to make that person feel bad if they don't vaccinate

Digs wasn't vaccinated when I got him from his old owner so I've done it.nelly was done at rescue but needs VHD in 2 weeks. They are indoor buns but cos I have cats they gotta be done.

I have 8 cats and atm 3 indoor buns x

Everyone makes there own choices on if they vaccinate or not nobody has any right right to make that person feel bad if they don't vaccinate

I plan to get them vac'd, but I fear that once their vac'd they may get ill, as some people on here have said, their buns were fine UNTILL vac'd and they they have loads of problems

I plan to get them vac'd, but I fear that once their vac'd they may get ill, as some people on here have said, their buns were fine UNTILL vac'd and they they have loads of problems

I understand that and it is your choice when you get them vacc'd being told that it should be your top priority and that your a bad owner if it isn't your top priority is totally wrong everyones priorities are different

My 2 are vaccinated against myxi but not against VHD because at the moment I can't find a vet near to me who doesn't use cylap, and I'm not going to get my rabbits vaccinated with cylap because of the side effects. People may disagree, but that's what I think.
I am looking for a vet that doesn't use cylap, and if I can't I will ask for it to be ordered in. It may not be for a while until they are vaccinated against VHD but the rescue I got them from said that myxi was the priority so they've had that and I'll get them vaccinated against VHD as soon as I can.

My vet in Milford uses Lapinject, if that's any use :)

I understand that and it is your choice when you get them vacc'd being told that it should be your top priority and that your a bad owner if it isn't your top priority is totally wrong everyones priorities are different

I don't see anywhere when any of us told her she was a bad owner :?

If she had said she wasn't vaccinating them full stop, I wouldn't have said anything, have learned to bite my tongue in that instance.

She said she IS vaccinating them though and gave a list of things that came first. I feel that that list is in the wrong order, so I pointed out which order I would do it in.
What she chooses to do is entirely up to her and she doesn't need to listen to our advice.
Just because I showed what I think her priority should be isn't calling her a bad owner.

Ok then so your priorities then rabbits/animals your son you food

or your son food your animals you :wave:

Ok then so your priorities then rabbits/animals your son you food

or your son food your animals you :wave:

Food for my son, animals, food for me, luxuries for my son.
But my rabbits have never gone without and never will. I budget and I save to make sure that I have enough money for everything needed.

Also, even when I was skint and struggling to buy food for myself earlier in the year, I went without so that snowball could be vaccinated.

Exately and emmiiee is doing her very best to make sure that her bunnies have everything as she said in one of her posts the bedroom furinture has to come first as she still lives at home she said she is getting the buns vacc'd but not right this minute she can't really go against her parents can she

I do feel your pain emmiee.. it sucks living at home. My parents want me to learn to drive so I'm currently saving for driving lessons, PB's neuter and vaccs, and I'm pretty sure the others are due their vaccs too (which costs £160 for both myxi and VHD!) because I couldn't get them done in May due to money problems... it's hard.

ETA: Just a quick disclaimer, I DO get the buns vaccinated, this post made it look like I don't:lol: I'm currently taking a tenner out of my bank every week or two and putting it in a jar.. I've found I'm not noticing the missing money too much :D

Last edited:
But vaccinating is a great way to SAVE money at the vets- it's much cheaper to vaccinate than to pay for a consultation and treatment (or euthanasia) if you pet catches myxi... xx

I do feel your pain emmiee.. it sucks living at home. My parents want me to learn to drive so I'm currently saving for driving lessons, PB's neuter and vaccs, and I'm pretty sure the others are due their vaccs too (which costs £160 for both myxi and VHD!) because I couldn't get them done in May due to money problems... it's hard.

ETA: Just a quick disclaimer, I DO get the buns vaccinated, this post made it look like I don't:lol: I'm currently taking a tenner out of my bank every week or two and putting it in a jar.. I've found I'm not noticing the missing money too much :D

yhh its hard living with parents!! if your under their roofs its their rules or theres the door! :roll:

But vaccinating is a great way to SAVE money at the vets- it's much cheaper to vaccinate than to pay for a consultation and treatment (or euthanasia) if you pet catches myxi... xx

I agree.

I also think vaccs are great value for money - you get a vet check and the vaccination at the same time.

If I wanted to pay for a vet check on it's own, it's £22.50
Vaccinations cost less than that.

So I see it as getting a cheap check up rather than paying for vaccinations ;)

Everything that needs to be done will be done but in time!! Ive been waiting almost a year to get mine bonded and into a kennel, if it was my way I would have them done agesss ago, but it's not MY way my family have to be filterd into the plan! I planned to nueter and bond them in june/july time but then my dad's brain tumor grew back, so had to delay it because, I couldn't dedicate all of that time to the buns when I had to keep everything together for my mum(who has back problems) and siblings, At that time neutering, bonding and vacs were the last thing on the list! Aslong as they were fed and waterd and clean that was it!!

I love my rabbits don't get me wrong but some things have to come before them! I'm not one of these people that can put the rabbits before anything else!! As I don't expect many people can!!

I agree.

I also think vaccs are great value for money - you get a vet check and the vaccination at the same time.

If I wanted to pay for a vet check on it's own, it's £22.50
Vaccinations cost less than that.

So I see it as getting a cheap check up rather than paying for vaccinations ;)

my vet charges 26:50 per vac!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back