• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My sweet girl has gone | My old girl is winding down

Would your usual Practice, whom you seem to trust, not do a Home PTS ? My Vet has done this all through Lock Downs, in the garden of Client’s Houses if necessary and wearing full PPE . Or indoors by an open front door, so lots of ventilation. The client is asked to wear a mask too and just one person can be close by.It is possible and now all legal Covid restriction are lifted it should really be an option as it can be done safely for all concerned and within RCVS Covid guidelines.

I hope that Illy will have a bit more time, she is obviously a very special Bunny :love:

Pleased that Lily is home with you, and has the comfort of familiar surroundings. I empathise with you having to make that when is the "right" time decision, but your vets sound sympathetic and understanding, so that in itself is a blessing. Big hugs for you and a gentle nose rub for Lily xxx

Would your usual Practice, whom you seem to trust, not do a Home PTS ? My Vet has done this all through Lock Downs, in the garden of Client’s Houses if necessary and wearing full PPE . Or indoors by an open front door, so lots of ventilation. The client is asked to wear a mask too and just one person can be close by.It is possible and now all legal Covid restriction are lifted it should really be an option as it can be done safely for all concerned and within RCVS Covid guidelines.

I hope that Illy will have a bit more time, she is obviously a very special Bunny :love:

I really wish that they did, but they've not done any home visits since covid began. I thought that by now they'd be more open to it too, but sadly not :( Would you mind sharing the details of your vet (if you're still in London JJ) via PM?

Illy seems a little brighter today, she's been pottering about and having lots of snoozes. She was also excited for breakfast and has been grooming (including between her toes of her back feet, so cute!) but definitely seems stiff. I think we're going to have to see how she is day by day.

I really wish that they did, but they've not done any home visits since covid began. I thought that by now they'd be more open to it too, but sadly not :( Would you mind sharing the details of your vet (if you're still in London JJ) via PM?

Illy seems a little brighter today, she's been pottering about and having lots of snoozes. She was also excited for breakfast and has been grooming (including between her toes of her back feet, so cute!) but definitely seems stiff. I think we're going to have to see how she is day by day.

Unfortunately my Vet Practice is not taking on New Clients atm. I am glad that Illy is a bit brighter today x

Thank you JJ, that's a shame but fine!

Illy seems much, much happier now she's home, so I don't regret bringing her back. Which is a relief, as for the first 24 hours I was really questioning myself. Her appetite the last 24 hours has been back to normal, which has been a DELIGHT. Plus, her poos are much better in size now.

I cancelled todays vet appt as I didn't want to stress her when she's finally doing better. We are still seeing our favourite vet on Tuesday, and it might still be the case that we opt for PTS whilst she's still on somewhat of a 'high'.

She's definitely stiff, particularly her left back leg. I don't know if she can reasonably have any more pain meds, which is partly why I'm wondering whether PTS is still the kinder option. She's on Meloxicam x2 a day and Gabapentin x3 a day. Otherwise, she gets herself to the litter box (or near it :lol:), to the water bowl and to her various beds via hopping, just a bit stiffly. She has been having some very deep and long sleeps, which I hope is helping and not a sign of something more sinister.

Sending lots of hugs . I had to say goodbye to my old lady Mouse last month - I'd quite honestly been waiting for some definable moment that would give me clarity in assessing her Q of L but she just battled on in a fally apart v slowly way, the brave soul :love: Someone on here said gradual deterioration is the most difficult & I felt that. When we said goodbye I was comforted that her last days she still ate well & enjoyed some comforts & interaction. i hope illy gives you a few more special moments. I'd actually chose my not as savvy local vet over the brilliant practice I prefer, because they give a sedative & that sleepy relaxed time to say goodbye I really treasured x

This is so helpful Joey&Boo, thank you so much for sharing. I am so sorry to hear of Mouse's passing though :cry: What was the tipping point for you? The "battled on in a fall apart v slowly way" really resonated with me, as that's very much what's happening with poor Illy. The vet did say they can imagine Illy battling on for a while longer still, it's just whether that's best for her.

Do you mind also sharing what the sedative experience was like please? Illy isn't a huge fan of people, so she probably wouldn't appreciate me fussing her for a while :lol: but I'd like her to feel calm whilst everything is happening around her.

This is so helpful Joey&Boo, thank you so much for sharing. I am so sorry to hear of Mouse's passing though :cry: What was the tipping point for you? The "battled on in a fall apart v slowly way" really resonated with me, as that's very much what's happening with poor Illy. The vet did say they can imagine Illy battling on for a while longer still, it's just whether that's best for her.

Do you mind also sharing what the sedative experience was like please? Illy isn't a huge fan of people, so she probably wouldn't appreciate me fussing her for a while :lol: but I'd like her to feel calm whilst everything is happening around her.

My Vet gives an intramuscular sedative called Domitor which makes Bunny very sleepy after a few minutes. It is the same drug as is used for a GA. Bunny can then be held as they become fully unconscious. Then the drug used to PTS can be administered via an ear vein. The Rabbit does not feel a thing as they are fully anaesthetised. It takes a few more minutes for the IV drug to stop the heart. IME it is all very peaceful and stress free for Bunny. I wish it were possible for humans to access the same help.

Please think of Illy on Tuesday morning

Illy has had a great final week at home and I am so grateful for this extra time we’ve had together. She’s enjoyed lots of parsley, apple and kale, as well as lots of dried marigolds, plantain, dandelion roots and nettle. I added in another fleecey padded bed and she’s been enjoying that new spot to sploot on.

We’ve made the decision to help Illy pass on tomorrow (Tuesday) morning, with our favourite vet who knows Illy the best. I am beyond heartbroken, but it feels like it’s the right time. She has been doing really well in some regards; a good appetite, lots of grooming, some spunky attitude. But the last two mornings she’s been unable to get up by herself. I don’t know how long she’s been stuck flopped on her side for, but each time she’s had a lot of poo stuck to her back end and she’s wee’d where she’s been laying. As soon as I’ve helped her up she’s been back to normal, but it doesn’t seem fair to keep putting her in those anxious moments, that could even be hours stuck on her side overnight. Her appetite is a bit reduced too, not significantly, but it is noticeable.

My main focus has been “give her all the treats, make sure she’s as comfy as possible” and I know we’ve achieved that.

Please think of us tomorrow morning and send Illy lots of peaceful passing vibes. She’s been a significant part of my life for 12 years and I can’t imagine life without her. I’m so grateful for being able to love her into her old age and I know we’ve been so lucky to have an extra year with her after her sister Chinook passed away.

I hope and pray that Illy, Chinook, Elmo and Crumpet are all reunited at Rainbow Bridge and can snuggle together again at last.

I'm so very sorry to hear this, I will be thinking of you and Lily, and hope that she has a very peaceful passing knowing that she is loved so much. Big hugs, I know it won't be easy xx

aww I'm glad she's had a good last week & been spoilt :love: I hope its a comfort to you that you've timed her passing well as it was to me. Sorry I couldn't answer your question but Jane did perfectly. Illy will be in my thoughts :love:, I wish her a peaceful transition from this world

aww I'm glad she's had a good last week & been spoilt :love: I hope its a comfort to you that you've timed her passing well as it was to me. Sorry I couldn't answer your question but Jane did perfectly. Illy will be in my thoughts :love:, I wish her a peaceful transition from this world

I just re-read your threads about dear Mouseypie and Joey. They were a huge comfort, so thank you for sharing their stories and how you supported them at the end of their journeys. Like Mouseypie, I am going to ensure Illy has had all the delicious foods in the morning ahead of her appointment. I’ll take some with me too in case she gets peckish when we arrive <3 I am dreading her not being here at home. Like you, my entire routine is centred on Illy’s meds, food schedule, laundry and checking she’s still alive (she loves a dead bunny flop), so to lose that routine will also be odd.

Gosh, we’re so lucky to love these marvellous creatures aren’t we? But grief really is the price of love.

Can't help but shed a few tears at your news but you've done so well for her and you're giving her the best gift we can give our oldest friends when they become infirm and are not as happy as we'd like them to be.

((((((Huge hugs)))))) You are both in my thoughts and prayers. I'll be thinking of you. xxxxx

Thinking of you and Illy and sending peaceful passing vibes and hugs. As always, you are doing the best you can for her xx

Back