• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch & Run Improvements. Useful weather/ fox proofing ideas?

Fluffers

Wise Old Thumper
Thought this may be useful to others who may be thinking of ways to improve their current accommodation, particularly weather/fox proofing. I also wanted a before and after type record to send to new would-be bunny owners as I find pictures offer more encouragement and clarity :D Many of the alterations can be applied to sheds & wendy houses too :D:wave:

6ft x 2ft x 2ftx Hutch & run combo (Rydale I believe) bought off ebay started out like this:

hutchbefore.jpg

Increased height of run by adding a 4 inch plinth around the bottom (now 24 inches) I later found that the other benefit of this is that it provides a wind break for the buns + more shade in the summer :D Added bolts to doors, lino to hutch floor & painted inside & out:
BouncersnewhutchMay2011002.jpg

Cosy additions were installed ;)
MJ300811001.jpg

Added sides & additional grip strips to the ramp:
Rampsides001.jpg

Winter weather proofing began by adding corrugated plastic to the run lid, making shutters for the meshed hutch doors & an end panel for the run (using exterior ply). The end panel made SUCH a difference, stopped the rain from blowing in & soaking everything & everybun:
Hutchshutters004.jpg

Hutchshutters002.jpg

2nd end panel and 1/2 front panel for the run were made (the back of the run is against the fence but with a 2-3 inch gap so still plenty of air circulating):
Septembergirls171211005.jpg

...and finally, a 4ft x 3ft extension was added (we put a door in the front of the existing run soon after it was first acquired for this reason but also so that the buns could hop in and out for supervised free ranging time)
HutchextensionDec11001.jpg

HutchextensionDec11002.jpg

The paint used is Wilkinsons own 'Willow' from their 'Colour your garden' range. It is water based so dries quickly & very easy to use :)

Please note: This accommodation is used as foster rabbit housing (i.e. temporary) and the MINIMUM size a pair of rabbits should be re-homed to. Larger set ups should be considered wherever possible (even for small breeds of rabbits). Aviarys, sheds or wendy houses with attached runs are ideal and a must for larger breeds such as giants. :thumb:

Last edited:
When I (eventually) revamp the indoor one I'll add that to the outdoor one :thumb:

Its looks great, I love all your little finishing touches to make it snuggly and homely for them! :D

Looks fab! :D Well done and thankyou for sharing :thumb: Your foster buns are very lucky :love:

Just wanted to say these 'improvements' are fabulous, given me loads of ideas to improve my setup, thanks!

Just wanted to say these 'improvements' are fabulous, given me loads of ideas to improve my setup, thanks!

Thank you :D Have to say, I've pinched a lot of ideas from other RU forum members and then adapted them to suit :D

Everytime I look at this I get a little more jealous :lol: I've been working on Finx and Tango's setup today but my DIY skills are limited!

So... you improved your DIY skills with a hutch improvement project... or you had help? :lol: Maybe there's hope for me yet!

This ;):lol: I was not very confident and not very good. Now I'm very confident and very nearly quite good :lol::lol:

Thank you for the lovely comments guys :oops:

Hope this gives like minded folks some inspiration, ideas & a bit of encouragement to have a go :thumb:

fantastic bun house! you have inspired me Fluffers ;) I've been out the garage this morning starting to make some shutters for Joey's upstairs doors ... did you primer the wood before painting? only asking as the wood I'm using is untreated and I want it to be protected ... do you think primer/undercoat will be safe to use? :?
his hutch has been treated with what looks like fence/shed stain which I have, but not sure if that's safe to use either? :?

Back