• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Bike Shed -> Hutch Project

Stator

Warren Veteran
As you may know I purchased one of these a few weeks ago to convert into a rabbit hutch:
http://www.waltons.co.uk/garden-sheds-and-storage/waltons-bike-security-store-shiplap

Didn't realise quite how much work would be involved!
It only came with a 'base-coat' so I also had to paint it and I chose the Seasoned Oak Cuprinol Garden Shades.

Here it is newly erected but empty:
closed.jpg

Then I had to create a frame so that it would have two floors inside it:
frame.jpg

Added the floors:
floors.jpg

Left a specific sized hole in the bottom floor for the litter trays I use:
litterhole.jpg

littertray.jpg

Had to add some panels and doors on the right hand side so the buns can get some light and go in and out:
open.jpg

halfopen.jpg

halfopen2.jpg

Then I put some sticky back plastic over the floors to make them easy to wipe clean and so they don't absorb bunny mess!
stickbackplastic.jpg

I have ordered the new run, so my work isn't finished yet, doh!
Probably going to have 4 small/medium bunnies living in there with a 12ft x 6ft run attached, but if that doesn't work out there will be just two in there with a 6ft x 6ft run.

It looked quite good until I added the stick back plastic didn't it? :lol:

looks like you've put a lot of hard work and thought into it and it's paid off - lovely job and I'm sure any rabbits you get will be proud to call it home :)

Hannah

:wave: I love the way that this has taken priority over the other projects e.g. fence panels :lol:.

Wow!! It looks fantastic!
I wish I could do something like this, but can you imagine the state of mine:shock::lol::lol:

That looks great!

I have one of those that I got for Dave after I pinched his 10 x 8 shed for my giants - I've been eyeing it up ever since as bunny accommodation for foster bunnies:lol::lol:.

I think I might try and relocate the junk stored in mine (sorry, Daves:lol:) and get cracking in the spring.

Are you putting the run on the front or side?

That's great.:D We did a cycle shed conversion ourselves, so know exactly where you're coming from regarding the work. I never realised quite how many floor tiles we'd need either!:lol: Hope your buns enjoy.

That looks great and I'm sure your skills and hard work will be greatly appreciated by your bunnies :D

My OH has just completed our shed conversion today ready for the bonding of 4 rabbits tomorrow:shock:

Vickie and Abi from Fatfluffs are coming over in this freezin' weather to bond the group after weeks (nay months!!!) of hard graft by OH in converting an old shed into a bunny palace. It certainly looks a lot easier than it really is and once you've started there's no turning back!

I will take some pics in the morning and post for you all to see:)

Well done:wave:

Back