• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

FIRST TIME RABBIT OWNERS 3.5 months old boy & girl rabbit now running away from us

Easter&Bolt

New Kit
FIRST TIME RABBIT OWNERS 3.5 months old boy & girl rabbit now running away from us

We adopted 2 young netherland dwarf rabbits (9wks & 10 wks) a month ago.
We have two 10 yrs old children and one 6 yrs old.

After the initial adjustment period the rabbits started bonded with the children and in particular the female. She was the most curious of the two and had no problems being picked up and cuddled.

They live indoor and had the most amazing living accomodation. Their 'cage' is made by 3x4 c&c cage on 2 floor. It is position near a window so that they have natural light all day long. During the day they have the use of the children playroom ( a put a baby gate for them not to go into the kitchen) and they can round around and play. They do lack of stimulation or entretainment as I made sure they got plenty of things to nibble on or hide in.

The children play with them before going to school and after they come back ( and they are very gentle with them and they don't force them if they want to do their things).

During the day they tend to be alone (meaning people do not play with them) but there is always somebody in the house and they can hear me talking or going us and down.

Three week passed and we went away for a week end (we had people checking on them and feedin them). We come back and the female come and sniff us and then run away.

I haven't neutered the boy yet as the vet suggested I waited for a change in behaviour and I cannot feel his balls. I will take the female to the vet for a check up to avoid surprises.

we have started to only give treats when they are being cuddled or being on our laps.

Is there something else we should do?
Are the rabbits offended because we left them for the weekend?

Last edited:
firstly i wouldnt have them together at all. Read my post and see the trouble i have had, and am having now. my new bun has mated with my nethie and he was only 11 weeks old, i now have 5 babies. Nethies can be very skittish and with them being tiny i think they scare a lot easier than bigger buns anyway. None of my buns like to be picked up and i have 11 adult buns not counting the new 5 babies. i have had another 5 of these since birth and handled them too and they still dont like to be picked up. Just try gaining their trust while they are sitting on the floor instead of laps and they will soon forgive you for going away :)

Now they are 14 weeks old I would definitely make sure the other one is a female as if not they might start to fight. It's also time to separate them in order to avoid an unwanted pregnancy. :thumb:

Thnak you,
I will definetly take them to the vet for a check up...fingers cross.

However I don't understand why know they dont want to be picked up anymore while before they never had a problem.

Thnak you,

However I don't understand why know they dont want to be picked up anymore while before they never had a problem.

Do you all approach them and pick them up 'properly'?

Thnak you,

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

I would fully concur with all that W&S has said :D

Added to which, bunnies do not like being picked up, as they are prey animals and this makes them feel very insecure. The reason they didn't mind before is because they were babies, and their 'instincts' for fear often don't kick in for a few weeks. Of course they could also have been put off by others coming in to feed them and perhaps wishing to interact with them?

I find that rabbits are as they are - I only have rescue rabbits myself, and I know then how they are in their personality. I have one who is an absolute darling and can't get enough of human attention, but he's the exception. I only pick my rabbits up (unless they demand attention from me) when I need to. Not just because I want to have a cuddle with them. I hope that makes sense!

Your rabbits sound really well loved and cared for, I hope you will stay and ask more questions if needs be :D

thank you all,
I will certainly use this forum a lot as we have much to learn.

I pick them up properly (hand under their legs and very close to the body)...mayby Mighty Max is right and they have grown out of the cuddles, however when they see us the still approach us and if we are sitting on the floor they come close to us or on us.

It is only when we get close with our hands they go away.

As I said before we are trying with a very patient and gentle '"treats' approach".

I hope the rabbit realise that "treats=human touch"...or is that too much to hope for?

As stated most buns do not like being picked up,my two bridge buns Rio and Cleo didn't.Cleo the girl would not tolerate being touched or petted even,though she would accept being hand fed food and treats.Rio the boy was more laid back he loved head/ear rubs etc,and would nudge you to continue when you stopped .All this though was on the floor,he would lie beside you.I think on their level (literally) is the way.

thank you all,
I will certainly use this forum a lot as we have much to learn.

I pick them up properly (hand under their legs and very close to the body)...mayby Mighty Max is right and they have grown out of the cuddles, however when they see us the still approach us and if we are sitting on the floor they come close to us or on us.

It is only when we get close with our hands they go away.

As I said before we are trying with a very patient and gentle '"treats' approach".

I hope the rabbit realise that "treats=human touch"...or is that too much to hope for?

You know, when I do yoga I get most interaction with my rabbits. They often jump on top of me, knowing they are safe from being picked up! They have no fear when I'm laying on the floor, or in pretzel pose :D

That's the way to go - let them come to you, and resist all temptation to grab them or restrain them in any way. Just a quick stroke on their back, and if they run away, so be it :D

The thing about rabbits is always - On their Terms

Now my question is...what is the point of having rabbit if you cannot play with them?

My kids are very happy either way but I would rather have a cat or a dog.

Now my question is...what is the point of having rabbit if you cannot play with them?

Rabbits aren't like dogs - they don't want to play with humans - or if they do, not for very long and on their terms.

That's the deal when taking on a rabbit - now you understand why so many end up in Rescue :(

I don't mean to sound harsh in any way.. But you don't just get pets for playing with. Pets are meant to become part of the family and live a happy life in their forever home. Like mm says, so many people just don't do any research on rabbits and always think of cute cuddly rabbits that like to be cuddled, unfortunately this is not the case and so many poor bunnies end up being forgotten about and mis cared for.. But thank god for rescues who do an amazing job! Rabbits have such cheeky little personalities though and there is nothing more satisfying than seeing pairs of bunnies being happy, playing and sleeping together. They will interact with you over time but maybe just give them time and let them come to you when their ready

Fair enough. I always had dogs and cats and they have always being considered as part of the family, but I am probabily too familiar with that type of interaction.
As you said as long as they are happy I am happy but I have always spent lots of time with all my pets as I never wanted them to feel lonely or unloved.
I just need to adjust my attitude toowards them with their point of view...I will spend more time lying on the floor 😜:lol:

Oh dear - sounds as though you've perhaps made the wrong choice of pet then. Rabbits aren't playthings. In a way you get out of it what you put in - the more you just sit with rabbits, talk to them and allow them to interact in their own way, the more pleasure you will get out of having them.
Rabbits do not make good pets for children - although they are often sold as such - as they tend to get bored, but it sounds as though you are bored already. Perhaps as you get to know them, you'll come to appreciate them for the enchanting, funny, naughty animals they are.
I can't remember, now, what their accommodation is when they are shut away. The recommended housing size is a hutch (or equivalent) measuring at least 6ft X 2ft with permanent access to an attached run of 8ft X 6ft X 3ft high, so they are never shut in the hutch.

Nethies aren't really known for their sedateness! So they are unlikely to be cuddle bunnies. Most bunnies aren't. Out of the five I've had only one was a cuddle bunny and that was only after he was ill. My Nutmeg who had some nethie in her was not at all a cuddle bunny!
As others have pointed out with bunnies you have to do things on their terms, and gain their trust.

Well its great that you came onto the forum to find out about your new pets. The point of rabbits, in my opinion, is that they are so CUTE. And funny and beautiful....
Today I opened the door of the shed/run, put a fence round and let them out. They came out into the sunshine and ate the grass, lots of binkys, ears up and down, a real pleasure to watch. Actually very distracting when I'm supposed to be working.
I'd give it time, keep interacting with them and they'll get to trust you. My nethie cross Piper doesn't like being picked up at all, but he comes over to me and will climb up me given half a chance. In fact none of mine are keen on being held.

Well its great that you came onto the forum to find out about your new pets. The point of rabbits, in my opinion, is that they are so CUTE. And funny and beautiful....
Today I opened the door of the shed/run, put a fence round and let them out. They came out into the sunshine and ate the grass, lots of binkys, ears up and down, a real pleasure to watch. Actually very distracting when I'm supposed to be working.
I'd give it time, keep interacting with them and they'll get to trust you. My nethie cross Piper doesn't like being picked up at all, but he comes over to me and will climb up me given half a chance. In fact none of mine are keen on being held.

I second them being distracting! :lol:

Well, I have been to the vet and we seem to be safe. The boy is booked in for a little operation and all will be good.

At this stage I believe that the rabbit were offended for leaving them alone.
They are happy to be cuddled within their cage, but when they are out and about they prefer to be left alone.

I agree that they are cute and they are fun to look at, however I still miss the interaction that you have with a dog.

My kids are determined to make partecipate to a jumping competition...lets see if they will be willing to be trained.

Back