• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

Today we went for a misty forage walk. I have some leafs off a hogweed. It was around 40cm tall and in flower. My hands haven't been stung so i quess i was right.

My understanding is giant hogweed has pointy feathery leafs and its super tall. Common only grows up to 2 meters. This was the hogweed I collected the leafs from.

I also got hazel, hawthorn and brambles
b4d50901bee81678312400143d0d9835.jpg
846cca58e47076bb9b452948e788d907.jpg
f261e5c71a4e9f078a1d6125b536101d.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

It's not that easy to see the leaf shape from your pics, but it looks right. Certainly if you haven't got the dreaded skin reaction, it must be right :)

Do Maple & dennis have a fresh selection & then some goes to drying. I bet you can't wait for Spring.

Mine are having fresh 5 days a week, less than usual & I've started introducing dry to get them used to the changeover - definitely not cos I'm too lazy to go out daily. Their poo is awesome at the moment, golden & getting bigger by the day.

So this morning I've been chopping & blending forage - its all in 5 inch or smaller pieces & mixed so they should get a good variety daily. It smells gorgeous. Probably cos most of my forages ended with raiding the mint from our community garden . This lot now takes up two thirds of a timothy hay sack. I wonder how long it will last

Do Maple & dennis have a fresh selection & then some goes to drying. I bet you can't wait for Spring.

Mine are having fresh 5 days a week, less than usual & I've started introducing dry to get them used to the changeover - definitely not cos I'm too lazy to go out daily. Their poo is awesome at the moment, golden & getting bigger by the day.

So this morning I've been chopping & blending forage - its all in 5 inch or smaller pieces & mixed so they should get a good variety daily. It smells gorgeous. Probably cos most of my forages ended with raiding the mint from our community garden . This lot now takes up two thirds of a timothy hay sack. I wonder how long it will last
I'm actually down to a large salad bowl of forage, all the leafs are dying now so forage is getting tight. I actually had my finger on the trigger last night to do a galens garden forage order but went out to see what I could find today. It's soul destroying when they loved there forage noms so much. They get a few fresh bits but we are back on the fresh supermarket herbs :(

I'm still finding enough for them atm. Perhaps that's the benefit of having unweeded patches of the garden. The main concern is that they are not getting a huge variety (thinking Uncle John's comments here) and it is mostly (still quite large) Dandelion and Red dead-nettle with a small amount of Common Hogweed, Chickweed, Sow-thistle, Cow Parsley, Common Mallow, Lemon Balm and Bristly Ox-tongue (young leaves). We are supplementing also with some Kale from the garden.

I'm managing to get most forage still from my garden, though there's quite a few goodies still around nearby.
Enhanced by the recent rain storms!

Now I'm thinking of pruning geraniums, buddleia, nasturtiums, silverweed, rowan, rose etc there'll be even more :)

I'm WAAAY too scared to try foraging, but if I bought my boys a potted edible, for example a marigold, from a shop, would it be ok for them to eat?
I personally wouldn't because I don't know what chemicals such as pesticides might be on a marigold plant. I grew my own pot marigolds this year and I still have a ton now! I am only really happy to buy herbs and strawberry plants from shops that will be eaten by us. I would be interested in everyone's opinions.

What worries you about foraging?

I don;t feel confident enough in identifying stuff, I know the basics but also don;t know what rabbits can and can;t eat! I live next to a national forest, and we have things like raspberry/blackberry, dandelions etc which I know, but when it comes to leaves...... Like I know what oak, sycamore, poplar etc are, but can rabbits eat them? There's an apple tree on the edge of the forest currently dropping like no-one's business, but can they eat this?

I don;t feel confident enough in identifying stuff, I know the basics but also don;t know what rabbits can and can;t eat! I live next to a national forest, and we have things like raspberry/blackberry, dandelions etc which I know, but when it comes to leaves...... Like I know what oak, sycamore, poplar etc are, but can rabbits eat them? There's an apple tree on the edge of the forest currently dropping like no-one's business, but can they eat this?
The apple tree definitely yes! And very nommy too. I collect leafs and branches and they are a favourite.

I stick to easy forage such as:
Hazel, Willow, Hawthorn, Yarrow and Plantain.

You could always grab a load of stuff, upload it here and everyone can help you.

I am a massive worrier but once you know a plant it's really fun and addictive. Especially when the buns go MAD for it ☺

Can you buddy up with someone and have a go together?

Brambles are great :)

They can also eat apple leaves and twigs - they usually eat the whole branch, bark and all!

I do agree though, you need a fair bit of confidence.
I use Twigs' Book "Foraging for Rabbits" then double check my collection with photos from the Internet.

Gorgeous day so thought I'd see whats out there. Got quite a lot today: geranium, raspberry, plantain, hogweed, bindweed, vetch, willow, dandelion. Also sow thistle which took some finding. I dreamt I found loads of sow thistle so felt I had to get some in case it was a sign :lol:
Its weird how many trees (rowan, hawthorn, ash) just have seeds or fruits dangling & no leaves at all.

Has anyone got (or can get) photos of ash and rowan for comparison please? :wave:

I am not sure I know the difference between them ....

Back