• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Incontinent rabbit - looking for advice

LarryMolly

Warren Scout
Hello everyone,

Over the last few months we’ve been having lots of test on Poppy to find out why she is incontinent.

Initially she tested positive for a UTI which we treated but didn’t solve the incontinence problem.

She’s since had an X-ray, ultrasound, full blood profile including testing for e.cunicili and full culture test on urine extracted when under GA. Everything has come back negative.

We’ve tried her on 2 types of antibiotics as well as Propalin but nothing has made a difference.

We think she is partially incontinent as she sometimes knowingly hops in the litter box, lifts her tail and does a wee. But most of the time when she’s asleep or relaxing there will be a puddle underneath her when she moves and when she’s running she also trickles wee as she goes.

I’ve noticed sometimes she makes a weird burping/air noise when she urinates and doesn’t lift her. Could this mean she’s in pain?

She’s bonded with Larry, they adore each other and she is very happy, bubbly and seems fine in herself otherwise.

They are currently in 100sq ft pen in our dining room which is lined with puppy pads that I change over twice a day (spending a fortune on puppy pads), plus 2 litter boxes every other day. The puppy pads help keep her clean, plus we clean her whenever she needs. We stopped laying fleece, towels and vet bed as this was harder to keep her clean and the laundry was too much.

I’m really looking for advice on looking after an incontinent rabbit. I’m worried they don’t have enough space as Larry used to be free range, but I think this is the maximum we could give them as otherwise the cleaning becomes extensive.

Are there any other tests we should do? Other medication we can try? Could it actually be behavioural for some reason? Or anyone have advice of housing an incontinent rabbit when their friend isn’t incontinent?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello everyone,

Over the last few months we’ve been having lots of test on Poppy to find out why she is incontinent.

Initially she tested positive for a UTI which we treated but didn’t solve the incontinence problem.

She’s since had an X-ray, ultrasound, full blood profile including testing for e.cunicili and full culture test on urine extracted when under GA. Everything has come back negative.

We’ve tried her on 2 types of antibiotics as well as Propalin but nothing has made a difference.

We think she is partially incontinent as she sometimes knowingly hops in the litter box, lifts her tail and does a wee. But most of the time when she’s asleep or relaxing there will be a puddle underneath her when she moves and when she’s running she also trickles wee as she goes.

I’ve noticed sometimes she makes a weird burping/air noise when she urinates and doesn’t lift her. Could this mean she’s in pain?

She’s bonded with Larry, they adore each other and she is very happy, bubbly and seems fine in herself otherwise.

They are currently in 100sq ft pen in our dining room which is lined with puppy pads that I change over twice a day (spending a fortune on puppy pads), plus 2 litter boxes every other day. The puppy pads help keep her clean, plus we clean her whenever she needs. We stopped laying fleece, towels and vet bed as this was harder to keep her clean and the laundry was too much.

I’m really looking for advice on looking after an incontinent rabbit. I’m worried they don’t have enough space as Larry used to be free range, but I think this is the maximum we could give them as otherwise the cleaning becomes extensive.

Are there any other tests we should do? Other medication we can try? Could it actually be behavioural for some reason? Or anyone have advice of housing an incontinent rabbit when their friend isn’t incontinent?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

How old is Molly and is she spayed ?

Has the Vet suggested that it may be a hormonal problem- ie urethral sphincter mechanism incompetence ? I am guess 'yes' as you mention that Propalin has been tried. Whilst that did not help perhaps the Vet may consider prescribing Incurin instead

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-454853

https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/incurin-1mg-tablets-priced-per-tablet.html

How old is Molly and is she spayed ?

Has the Vet suggested that it may be a hormonal problem- ie urethral sphincter mechanism incompetence ? I am guess 'yes' as you mention that Propalin has been tried. Whilst that did not help perhaps the Vet may consider prescribing Incurin instead

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-454853

https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/incurin-1mg-tablets-priced-per-tablet.html

Hi Jacks-Jane - She is spayed since approx August last year and she will be between 2-3 years old so we were told.

The vet told me Propalin could help with muscle control and did actually mention another drug as well although we haven’t tried it. I’ll read those links as ask about the other drug tomorrow. Is it unusual for incontinence medication to not work? I was optimistic about the propalin when the vet said about it but it did nothing.

Hi Jacks-Jane - She is spayed since approx August last year and she will be between 2-3 years old so we were told.

The vet told me Propalin could help with muscle control and did actually mention another drug as well although we haven’t tried it. I’ll read those links as ask about the other drug tomorrow. Is it unusual for incontinence medication to not work? I was optimistic about the propalin when the vet said about it but it did nothing.

As with USMI in b1tches sometimes one treatment wont work but another may. It can be a case of trial and error really.

Hi there :wave:

I know we've PM'd about Molly and sorry to hear the propalin didn't work. I had a rabbit on it and it worked (to a degree) ...

I know Jack's-Jane has said that she has had both bucks and does on propalin for incontinence within the last couple of years, and it helped both equally well :) It's a shame it hasn't worked for Molly.

So there was no bladder sludge at all to be seen on X-ray?

Last edited:
Hi there :wave:

I know we've PM'd about Molly and sorry to hear the propalin didn't work. I had a rabbit on it and it worked (to a degree) ...

I know Jack's-Jane has said that she has had both bucks and does on propalin for incontinence within the last couple of years, and it helped both equally well :) It's a shame it hasn't worked for Molly.

So there was no bladder sludge at all to be seen on X-ray?

Hi MightyMax,

The vet said there was a bit of sludge but nothing of concern, they flushed her bladder anyway apparently.

The only odd things she said actually, but again, she said they were not of concern, was that her bladder was an odd shape - almost square and there was a slightly white small area in one of her kidneys, vet said it wasn’t of concern because it wasn’t bright white. Maybe we should get another opinion on that.

They have been thorough but we were hoping for a cure. On the flip side, if nothing can be done then at least we know.

The only odd things she said actually, but again, she said they were not of concern, was that her bladder was an odd shape - almost square and there was a slightly white small area in one of her kidneys, vet said it wasn’t of concern because it wasn’t bright white. Maybe we should get another opinion on that.

Maybe you could flag that up again with the Vet ? He/she sounds to have been very thorough but maybe he/she may want to get a second opinion on the Xray.

Also, if your Rabbit actually has a bladder deformity then it is possible (although not inevitable) that her incontinence will be chronic. Bladder sludge may also be a condition that recurs so personally I'd want to talk with the Vet about that again too. The Vet may think that it is appropriate to make some dietary adjustments to try to minimise Hypercalciuria

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/HypercalciuriaRabbits.htm

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ar...t-for-rabbits-with-urinary-tract-disease/view

It may be that the Vet thinks all of the above does not apply to your Rabbit, but just thought I'd offer some suggestions based on my past experience x

Hi MightyMax,

The vet said there was a bit of sludge but nothing of concern, they flushed her bladder anyway apparently.

They have been thorough but we were hoping for a cure. On the flip side, if nothing can be done then at least we know.

Hiya :)

I really hope something can be done, as it's a hard problem to live with over time, as you're finding out.

I am glad the vet flushed the bladder. Bladders can be quite irritable sometimes and if it is an odd shape, then that may make any problem concerning the bladder chronic and likely to continue.

I know we've talked about this, but remind me, has this just begun over the last few months or has she always been like this?

Just to be on the safe side, it's worth thinking about a low calcium diet if you haven't already, and I found this sheet that Frances Harcourt Brown gave me very useful:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ar...t-for-rabbits-with-urinary-tract-disease/view

Doughnut was wet for about 6 months as couldn't find out what was wrong with her. One of her problems was slow gut mobility. She was pushing down to toilet but nothing was coming out but urine. She sometimes makes like a pop sound and I know she's urinated. She's on ranitidine permanently as also has acid reflux. She was initially on metaclopramide and she then became dry. I guess you could ask your vets just for a week's worth to see if it improves. Doughnut has tried so many different medicine to find out what worked for her. She had propalin at one stage but it didn't work as he's problem wasn't her bladder.
I would say get her shaved as when I got doughnut shaved after a while she had little nicks in her skin where the fur was heavy and pulling her skin down. I felt awful
Good luck

Last edited:
Maybe you could flag that up again with the Vet ? He/she sounds to have been very thorough but maybe he/she may want to get a second opinion on the Xray.

Also, if your Rabbit actually has a bladder deformity then it is possible (although not inevitable) that her incontinence will be chronic. Bladder sludge may also be a condition that recurs so personally I'd want to talk with the Vet about that again too. The Vet may think that it is appropriate to make some dietary adjustments to try to minimise Hypercalciuria

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/HypercalciuriaRabbits.htm

It may be that the Vet thinks all of the above does not apply to your Rabbit, but just thought I'd offer some suggestions based on my past experience x

Thank you Jack’s Jane - I’ll read those links you sent tonight, and will get another opinion on X-rays as well x

Hiya :)

I really hope something can be done, as it's a hard problem to live with over time, as you're finding out.

I am glad the vet flushed the bladder. Bladders can be quite irritable sometimes and if it is an odd shape, then that may make any problem concerning the bladder chronic and likely to continue.

I know we've talked about this, but remind me, has this just begun over the last few months or has she always been like this?

Just to be on the safe side, it's worth thinking about a low calcium diet if you haven't already, and I found this sheet that Frances Harcourt Brown gave me very useful:

Thanks MightyMax - we’re not actually sure if she’s always been incontinent. We rescued her in May and she wasn’t spayed so we thought the urinating everywhere was down to not being spayed. But then it didn’t get better post spay so we thought it was behavioural and did everything we could think of to litter train her but that didn’t work either... so she’s possibly always been this way the poor thing!

Will have a read of that link - thank you x

Doughnut was wet for about 6 months as couldn't find out what was wrong with her. One of her problems was slow gut mobility. She was pushing down to toilet but nothing was coming out but urine. She sometimes makes like a pop sound and I know she's urinated. She's on ranitidine permanently as also has acid reflux. She was initially on metaclopramide and she then became dry. I guess you could ask your vets just for a week's worth to see if it improves. Doughnut has tried so many different medicine to find out what worked for her. She had propalin at one stage but it didn't work as he's problem wasn't her bladder.
I would say get her shaved as when I got doughnut shaved after a while she had little nicks in her skin where the fur was heavy and pulling her skin down. I felt awful
Good luck

Hi cpayne - that’s very interesting! She struggles with the size of her poops sometimes actually and there is sometimes a small pile of poos in the middle of wee. Will give vets a call tomorrow to discuss. Thank you x

Yes doughnut has poo in her urine. That may well be normal as I've only ever had her. The backs of her legs became very stained now they are white again. Let me know what your vet says. May be worth trying as the medicine won't do any harm for a week. If your bunny doesn't became drier you know it's not that. I was so happy when doughnut got up from a place and there wasn't a wet patch!

HI, I have an older bun who has developed urinary problems in the last 12-18 months and have tried a number of things and we have a number of different theories as it is so intermittent.

Dietary thoughts
Kale - we could not get this and the incontinence seems to be better (she did not have bladder sludge or stones so calcium was not the issue)
Leaves outside - not been out as much so she has not been eating these

Physical?
She is slower and maybe some of it is being lazy at times if she can not be bothered getting up (bit of arthritis)
x-rays showed an issue in her spine which my vet thought may be giving her some pain (so we tried metacam)

To be honest we are not sure, it has been over 2 months since she was wet but when she is wet there is a strong smell of infection so we give her antibiotics for 7-10 days. We tried a few but Septrin seemed to work - you can no longer get this so I have asked my vet about Sulfatrim (sp?) which is the same ingredient (thanks Jack's-Jane).

Previously we tried Baytril and Penicillin with no affect at all. We also tried Propalin and Incurin and was not convinced. Incurin made her very hormonal and she went off her food so we took her off it and not sure it was helping.

I would ask your vet to review the x-rays again to see if there is anything that may be causing it other than "bladder" as maybe metacam would help if it was something to do with discomfort/pain and it is also anti-inflammatory.

The other drugs are also worth trying to see if they will work.

We too have started to use puppy pads in the beds when she has periods of incontinence and they are great and think they help keep her dry. If it is an ongoing problem I am sure I saw somewhere about nappies.....

Back