• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Disaster please help!

Are you still intending to take them back to the bonder? Not too long now, if so.

I feel your despondency. Anyway, good vibes coming your way, and I'm still thinking of you and rooting for the two of them :)

Definitely. They are booked in Tuesday next week.

We had some sitting and laying near each other today so I’m taking that as good but not trying to get too excited yet.

Thank you I really appreciate it :)
I’ll post another update as I’m getting so stressed knowing what’s right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So after chasing people down and being a moany butt (which I hate being!), I finally got a call about the slide that was sent off from Truffle’s eye last week or so ago.
They were negative for anything....zip!

So now they want to do another swab but try and grow cultures to see what bacteria or infection or whatever they should be targeting. Working in a vets previously I know these take at least 7 days to grow and get results. Plus they can’t get him in to swab until Sunday!

The vet seemed to think that we can carry on as we are and when we are ready do the swab etc and keep doing the drops on doing now twice a day.

My panics (for this week!) are;
1) the bonder can’t or probably won’t do eye drops during the days they are there bonding
2) there’s no way we can get results and treat now before they go away to bond so treatment has to be after
3) if they do bond again I’m scared to medicate Truffle and start this all off again during the vital bonding stages at home

So I’m having a bit of a flap about it all and have no one to talk to because the vet and nurse we are friends with are on holiday still.

I feel so bad for Truffle because it’s been two months of different meds, treatments and eye poking now :-(

I’m wondering if doing the swab asap is good so we know what we are dealing with, i.e. is it something that’s ok to leave for now.....
Timing is just naff!

f59458ff450945c5491ccd3c48c6b1e4.jpg

3722c3ca7fada0e5ad539df78cca8d54.jpg

1db92df913b35d3426d825b5846f2428.jpg

I would be inclined to get his eye sorted before trying to re-bond them. Sorry, must turn in, I'm tired.

I would be inclined to get his eye sorted before trying to re-bond them. Sorry, must turn in, I'm tired.

I’m having that option keep floating around my head too.

Maybe I could ask “if” they don’t go next week when’s the next available is.

Thank you :)
Nighty night x

Just to post an update to probably end this thread now.

So I drove them to the bonder yesterday. He put them in together while I was still there which didn’t happen last time (but traffic on the M6 made me 40 mins late yesterday) and there was chasing and meanness, I said am I ok to leave because I make them worse and he said yes.

Anyway this morning I just got the dreaded phone call that I know was far too soon. In the night they are always left more on their own after bonders being there all day. In the night or this morning Truffle got his ears torn, which we are kind of used to and understand because long ago the first time round this happened when we tried at home.

He’s going to get the most experienced bonder to assess and see if they can continue with this now happened or let Truffle heal, or just not bother again.

I’m so upset and in tears this morning. I don’t know why it’s Luther being aggressive like last time because it was Truffle who broke the bond.

It’s not what I wanted. I can’t bare the thought of giving Luther away [emoji24][emoji24]

Just to post an update to probably end this thread now.

So I drove them to the bonder yesterday. He put them in together while I was still there which didn’t happen last time (but traffic on the M6 made me 40 mins late yesterday) and there was chasing and meanness, I said am I ok to leave because I make them worse and he said yes.

Anyway this morning I just got the dreaded phone call that I know was far too soon. In the night they are always left more on their own after bonders being there all day. In the night or this morning Truffle got his ears torn, which we are kind of used to and understand because long ago the first time round this happened when we tried at home.

He’s going to get the most experienced bonder to assess and see if they can continue with this now happened or let Truffle heal, or just not bother again.

I’m so upset and in tears this morning. I don’t know why it’s Luther being aggressive like last time because it was Truffle who broke the bond.

It’s not what I wanted. I can’t bare the thought of giving Luther away [emoji24][emoji24]

Oh gosh this is completely devastating :(

I'm so very sorry. I know how much you love those two and you've given your heart and soul to get them together.

Let us know what happens. Contact me privately if there's anything at all I can do to help xx

:( Oh boys ! I'm gutted for you. Some aspects of bunny ownership are so stressful & sometimes we're powerless to do anything about them. I guess if both bunnies are fighting fit now ? you've tried everything possible . Hugs xx

Oh gosh this is completely devastating :(

I'm so very sorry. I know how much you love those two and you've given your heart and soul to get them together.

Let us know what happens. Contact me privately if there's anything at all I can do to help xx

:( Oh boys ! I'm gutted for you. Some aspects of bunny ownership are so stressful & sometimes we're powerless to do anything about them. I guess if both bunnies are fighting fit now ? you've tried everything possible . Hugs xx

Thank you both.

I’m just so upset and can’t get my head around why they can’t remember being so loving to each other and best friends for months.

You start thinking of all the little things like....ooh maybe it’s because they remember being there before.....or oh maybe Luther is acting up because he’s scared of noises and the wind is terrible now.....bla bla bla. I feel like it would go better if they were monitored through the night too.

I know it’s not the point, but I was so looking forward to us all finally being together for Christmas for the first time.
Thanks for your support guys it really means a lot xx

I’m so sorry:cry: sending lots of hugs xx

Thank you :-(

I’m really trying not to be too sad because I’m always one for hope. Especially when the first time round they hated each other, Truffle was bitten so bad he screamed etc etc.....so I can’t help but hope because despite all that and the 9 months it took they became besties. Xx

I've been thinking of you for a few days.

Did they go back to the bonder?

How are things? xx

Aww that’s so sweet!

So the update for everyone is not great. They went last Tuesday and 9am the next day I got a call.....so it was never going to be good.

They were ok together in the day just chasing and some hair pulling, then at night when unsupervised something set Luther off (he is the victim from the bond break and was hard to get tryst in Truffle the first time because he was bullied). Truffle was then found the next day with his beautiful ears torn and bleeding. They checked him over and cleaned him up, he has a small hole in one, a big graze down the other and a hole where a big vein is so that’s where all the blood was from. Plus a big patch of chicken skin on his but where loads of hairs been ripped out and a bit on a shoulder.

So they are home in bunny jail (their room) until Truffles ears heal then they are happy to try again and they seemed to be fairly positive about it all until that one moment.

So a few weeks and take 2. I have also gone bunny mummy crazy and got a camera installed to spy on them and see how they are when we aren’t there lol!!

So not great, but I still am clinging to hope xx

a088ed64b9da5800c10c484c9df1b230.jpg

81bb4542266d550c0b91f08424ba04c8.jpg

e078e9b20d5346c688a6bed43b7f2cb0.jpg

65dd3fd44aa9dc66f8ab4233d8ee86a3.png

9bfb7df3b6de0d4d661041cb7bb39779.png

Aw I’m sorry about poor Truffle’s ear and that they had another bust up on the first night. [emoji17]

My understanding is that experienced bonders have a good inclination as to whether a bond will work out. So the fact they’re happy to try again should be cause for hope. I’m sure they would be honest and upfront with you if they thought there was little chance of repairing the bond. Also, as I mentioned upthread there is that underlying bond they’ve spent several months building with each other before it all went pear shaped!

I’ll be thinking of you all, I really hope the boys can sort themselves out.

Oh dear, he does look very sorry for himself:cry: being honest, if it were me in your position I don’t think I’d try again, for fear of something worse happening. Could you keep them side by side if needs be, if they get plenty of human interaction, if you can’t get them a friend each?

Aw I’m sorry about poor Truffle’s ear and that they had another bust up on the first night. [emoji17]

My understanding is that experienced bonders have a good inclination as to whether a bond will work out. So the fact they’re happy to try again should be cause for hope. I’m sure they would be honest and upfront with you if they thought there was little chance of repairing the bond. Also, as I mentioned upthread there is that underlying bond they’ve spent several months building with each other before it all went pear shaped!

I’ll be thinking of you all, I really hope the boys can sort themselves out.

Thank you :-( yeah I’m sad to say this time round there’s permanent damage to his worse ear which is a shame because he has lovely ears!

I was wondering if it’s acceptable to vet wrap his ears to protect them next time.....but I think that’s the crazy lady coming out haha!

Yeah you’re totally right, and based on last time they told me “they have been ok together but we aren’t convinced it will likely work out” as in not long after we got home and they just got stronger and stronger.....their positivity this time speaks out to me. I said I know it sounds silly but I hoped we’d all be together for Christmas, and he said “that could still happen”. So I’m holding onto these nuggets of hope. Plus they have been pretty good back up in their room and I have seen good things on my bunny spy cam.

Thank you so much, me too we love them both so much it breaks my heart

da7919025bbbc577a7822682fb5b962c.jpg

88bd811fe7ca2e998043e1cd6aceab9d.png

Aww that’s so sweet!

So the update for everyone is not great. They went last Tuesday and 9am the next day I got a call.....so it was never going to be good.

They were ok together in the day just chasing and some hair pulling, then at night when unsupervised something set Luther off (he is the victim from the bond break and was hard to get tryst in Truffle the first time because he was bullied). Truffle was then found the next day with his beautiful ears torn and bleeding. They checked him over and cleaned him up, he has a small hole in one, a big graze down the other and a hole where a big vein is so that’s where all the blood was from. Plus a big patch of chicken skin on his but where loads of hairs been ripped out and a bit on a shoulder.

So they are home in bunny jail (their room) until Truffles ears heal then they are happy to try again and they seemed to be fairly positive about it all until that one moment.

So a few weeks and take 2. I have also gone bunny mummy crazy and got a camera installed to spy on them and see how they are when we aren’t there lol!!

So not great, but I still am clinging to hope xx

a088ed64b9da5800c10c484c9df1b230.jpg

81bb4542266d550c0b91f08424ba04c8.jpg

e078e9b20d5346c688a6bed43b7f2cb0.jpg

65dd3fd44aa9dc66f8ab4233d8ee86a3.png

9bfb7df3b6de0d4d661041cb7bb39779.png

I can only say that if the bonding folk have hope, then I would have hope too.

I know that I would recognise when it wasn't worth putting buns through any more and I am sure they will.

That said, I have all my fingers and toes crossed for a healthy recovery of ear wounds and another try at being friends :)

Oh dear, he does look very sorry for himself:cry: being honest, if it were me in your position I don’t think I’d try again, for fear of something worse happening. Could you keep them side by side if needs be, if they get plenty of human interaction, if you can’t get them a friend each?

He does bounce back very quick fortunately and he’s totally back to his cheeky self which is good, he only had his sulky face a day or two bless him.
Unfortunately we don’t have funds for more bunnies and when Luther lived upstairs in that room as a baby waiting for neuter it was sad because it’s hard to find enough time to go and give him company, I know it sounds silly. So sadly I think if it doesn’t work out we need to think of a way of them living like the above set up but downstairs or we have to give up Luther :-(

I can only say that if the bonding folk have hope, then I would have hope too.

I know that I would recognise when it wasn't worth putting buns through any more and I am sure they will.

That said, I have all my fingers and toes crossed for a healthy recovery of ear wounds and another try at being friends :)

This is it, and really what I’m holding on to.
We had this exact thing happen the first time, we tried at home, Truffle got his ears ripped and even screamed, they went to a bonder and she tried for two seconds, Traumatised Truffle and he bit her......then they went to this place and it worked; this time we had a set back but they were so positive about it I can’t help but feel they deserve another go.

Aww thank you so much [emoji4]

Thank you :-( yeah I’m sad to say this time round there’s permanent damage to his worse ear which is a shame because he has lovely ears!

I was wondering if it’s acceptable to vet wrap his ears to protect them next time.....but I think that’s the crazy lady coming out haha!

Yeah you’re totally right, and based on last time they told me “they have been ok together but we aren’t convinced it will likely work out” as in not long after we got home and they just got stronger and stronger.....their positivity this time speaks out to me. I said I know it sounds silly but I hoped we’d all be together for Christmas, and he said “that could still happen”. So I’m holding onto these nuggets of hope. Plus they have been pretty good back up in their room and I have seen good things on my bunny spy cam.

Thank you so much, me too we love them both so much it breaks my heart

da7919025bbbc577a7822682fb5b962c.jpg

88bd811fe7ca2e998043e1cd6aceab9d.png

I am sorry your bunnies have fallen out so badly. Can they just live side by side for a few months? Then prehaps take them back to a bonder. That's what I did with Millie and Toby although I didn't use a bonder xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I have to agree. Those injuries really are very nasty and personally I would be extremely reluctant to take any more risks. I am sorry this post wont be what you want to read. But I think it is important for others reading this thread to understand that there may be very differing opinions as to how much is too much when it comes to bonding risks.

That said, I am basing my opinion on noting the severity of the wounds inflicted. My rule of thumb has always been if blood is drawn during an obviously 'nasty' bonding fight I wont try again.

Just my personal opinion, which I have no doubt some will dismiss as 'rubbish'.

Best wishes for whatever you decide and I really hope that neither Rabbit suffers any more injuries.

Back