• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Do you use Infacol?

Beapig

Mama Doe
I've never used it before and am just wondering if it's worth having in stock for early signs of stasis. Would you guys rate it for catching stasis early on?

One of the all time biggest contentious issues to come up on RU :lol: I used it previously but wouldn't now

I've seen it mentioned on here a few times and a lot of people seem to swear by it as a means of getting rid of painful gas. My own (unqualified!) theory of why it seems to work is that in order to administer it, more often than not you need to chase and then wrestle the bunny into taking a syringe of it. I think it's the moving about itself that ends up dispersing the gas and not the actual infacol.

I've never used it before and am just wondering if it's worth having in stock for early signs of stasis. Would you guys rate it for catching stasis early on?
I have used it, I wouldn't anymore tho!

Also just an FYI as I bought it a lot about 6 months a go for a human, once the bottle is open it's only good for 28 days!

I've seen it mentioned on here a few times and a lot of people seem to swear by it as a means of getting rid of painful gas. My own (unqualified!) theory of why it seems to work is that in order to administer it, more often than not you need to chase and then wrestle the bunny into taking a syringe of it. I think it's the moving about itself that ends up dispersing the gas and not the actual infacol.
I think this has a lot to do with it [emoji38]

Yeah maybe the wrestling helps. Maybe that its liquid helps. So often gassy issues resolve in an hour or so anyway, I can see that you might use use it, bunny might feel better as it would with or without intervention but naturally you're going to believe in the product you had enough faith to buy in the first place

Someone asked FHB at the lectures for rabbit owners - she said she didn't believe it could help (although in itself probably ok)

eta by prob ok I meant probably not harmful

Last edited:
Shall I start a Conscious Dental thread now as this one has not kicked off !!

YqobSBs.png

I used it in the past, yet no longer do. Some say it does not hurt, yet there may be harm if it delays proven treatments. I also wonder if we know how enough about how it interacts with medications.

Allow me to add my thoughts on another issue-the use of pineapple juice for ingested fur is another NO for me. It was many years ago that I used it with disasterous results.

I bought some once, got it ready to give when one of my rabbits was showing signs of stasis, and then got so paranoid that I threw the whole lot away unused! :lol:

Thanks for your responses everyone, I didn't realise it was such a controversial topic :lol: I just read about it last week when Hamilton had stasis, and had never heard of it before.

Thanks for your responses everyone, I didn't realise it was such a controversial topic :lol: I just read about it last week when Hamilton had stasis, and had never heard of it before.

I think the message is that Infacol is unlikely to do any harm but equally it is unlikely to do any good. The problem is if people try to treat gut stasis themselves using OTC remedies rather than consulting a Vet at the earliest opportunity. Not suggesting that you would do so, but I know it does happen.

When I asked my vet a couple years ago, I was told not to use it.

Interesting.

This vet was a silver bunny vet on the RWAF list and had rabbits herself at home.

When Odin was a baby he ate a small piece of lettuce and then proceeded to sit uncomfortably with a belly ache and was real bloated. I texted her and she said give him a couple drops and see how he is in half hour or so. He looked really bad but he recovered in less than an hour and was fine, thank God.

But I know it’s not as simple as what’s right and wrong, some vets may have had good results while others don’t approve home remedies. I guess unless there’s studies to draw from we won’t know it’s true effects.

This vet actually suggested herbal supplements to help my bunny with chronic snuffles. He was on lots of meds and a nebuliser etc. but taking a while to recover this time. She suggested a few drops of echinacea in drinking water daily. Honestly I feel like it helped (I take it myself and hardly ever catch colds, or they last only a day) but obviously we don’t know for sure.

I guess the best thing would be to ask your regular vet.

Very interesting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back