• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jazzie in a severe state, glucose 18.2, lactate 11.6 - what does this mean? U/D #39

I won't quote you (and happy to remove my earlier quote if you prefer) as you'll probably want to delete ...

I have to be very careful what I say on this public forum, as you know, so I understand.

I am here if you'd like anyone to chat to ... all in confidence :)

Sorry to hear of your other troubles. There are some people far too concerned with other people's business. Glad to hear Jazzie continues to do well x

Just a quick update on Jazz. She's starting to eat a little more - still a long way from normal but in the right direction - and she's quite bright and happy.
The only thing is it was this morning that I first got a good look at all the places she's been pricked with needles and she's absolutely covered in needle ****** poor girl :( It seems to be bruising in some places but I've noticed the skin is looking quite irritated where it's been shaved (her ears, neck, both front legs and abdomen) - is there anything safe I can apply that might soothe it or do you think it'll be okay? It's hard to tell if it's bothering her or not but it's looking quite irritated.
Earlier tonight it was very red on her ears and the veins seemed to be very pronounced but it's gone down a bit since then. I'm not sure if it's a reaction to something like the disinfectanct or if it's like a shaving burn.

On an unrelated note the situation mentioned earlier had nothing to do with RU thankfully, I've managed to find out the information has come from a review I posted a few years back which has attached my full name to it (which I wasn't aware of) on an item I bought for the rabbits. I'm still going to be careful as it's still possible I could be found on here but good to know it doesn't seem to be linked. Still expecting trouble over it but for the moment I'm focusing on Jazzie.

Thank you all again so much for your support :)

Edit: Don't worry about the quotes MM, I can only do my best but I'm not going to worry about things like that. At the end of the day if this person wants information they always get it, one way or another. Not someone you can fight against. My vets have even been approached in the past (regarding my dog - and it was on the day he died too) but thankfully they refused to give any information out.
But thank you so much for the thought :)

Last edited:
Just a quick update on Jazz. She's starting to eat a little more - still a long way from normal but in the right direction - and she's quite bright and happy.
The only thing is it was this morning that I first got a good look at all the places she's been pricked with needles and she's absolutely covered in needle ****** poor girl :( It seems to be bruising in some places but I've noticed the skin is looking quite irritated where it's been shaved (her ears, neck, both front legs and abdomen) - is there anything safe I can apply that might soothe it or do you think it'll be okay? It's hard to tell if it's bothering her or not but it's looking quite irritated.
Earlier tonight it was very red on her ears and the veins seemed to be very pronounced but it's gone down a bit since then. I'm not sure if it's a reaction to something like the disinfectanct or if it's like a shaving burn.

On an unrelated note the situation mentioned earlier had nothing to do with RU thankfully, I've managed to find out the information has come from a review I posted a few years back which has attached my full name to it (which I wasn't aware of) on an item I bought for the rabbits. I'm still going to be careful as it's still possible I could be found on here but good to know it doesn't seem to be linked. Still expecting trouble over it but for the moment I'm focusing on Jazzie.

Thank you all again so much for your support :)

Edit: Don't worry about the quotes MM, I can only do my best but I'm not going to worry about things like that. At the end of the day if this person wants information they always get it, one way or another. Not someone you can fight against. My vets have even been approached in the past (regarding my dog - and it was on the day he died too) but thankfully they refused to give any information out.
But thank you so much for the thought :)

I've been worried about you today, so thank you for posting :)

I wouldn't put anything on the skin unless it looks really angry. I use something that's incredibly healing (but because of you know what I can't post in public) so if you feel you need a little more help then contact me privately :)

I've been worried about you today, so thank you for posting :)

I wouldn't put anything on the skin unless it looks really angry. I use something that's incredibly healing (but because of you know what I can't post in public) so if you feel you need a little more help then contact me privately :)
Thank you MM :) I'm so sorry I haven't replied to your PM yet.
I think the general redness has gone down a little from earlier, at least on her ears. I think it must be bruising more than anything that I'm seeing now, certain areas are ranging from very red to reddish purple. It looks so nasty :(
I feel so sorry for her, poor little thing. She's really gone through it.

She did just give a happy little leap over to her litter tray and she's munching her way through some hay right now. Maybe it isn't bothering her after all - it just looks so nasty to me!
I feel so sorry for her, she's gone through so much. But she looks so happy at the moment :love:
I won't try putting anything on it then and I'll see how she goes tonight. To be honest I wouldn't know what would be safe to use anyway but I'll ask my vet tomorrow if it looks worrying in any way.
I think it's probably bothering me more than it's bothering her! Just can't stand to see her hurt

Thank you MM :) I'm so sorry I haven't replied to your PM yet.
I think the general redness has gone down a little from earlier, at least on her ears. I think it must be bruising more than anything that I'm seeing now, certain areas are ranging from very red to reddish purple. It looks so nasty :(
I feel so sorry for her, poor little thing. She's really gone through it.

She did just give a happy little leap over to her litter tray and she's munching her way through some hay right now. Maybe it isn't bothering her after all - it just looks so nasty to me!
I feel so sorry for her, she's gone through so much. But she looks so happy at the moment :love:
I won't try putting anything on it then and I'll see how she goes tonight. To be honest I wouldn't know what would be safe to use anyway but I'll ask my vet tomorrow if it looks worrying in any way.
I think it's probably bothering me more than it's bothering her! Just can't stand to see her hurt

I think it's me who needs to reply to you :)

How is she today?

Thanks for asking MM :)
She's doing well, a little better than yesterday. Eating isn't normal yet but has increased and she's more herself today. I woke up to see her cleaning herself with her characteristic non-stop happy little grunts which was lovely to hear :love:. She's been very bright and happier today so that's really good to see. I'm a bit concerned at her output as there really isn't much of it and it's still very small and irregularly shaped but other than that I think she's doing as well as can be expected considering what she's been through.
Her little ears are all bruised up though, covered in red and purple patches. Looks so painful, poor girl :( But doesn't seem to be bothering her.
She's being quite picky over what she wants to eat (mostly hay, dried forage and fresh herbs in very small amounts) but personally I've found that typical of buns recovering from stasis anyway.

In all, considering what she's been through, I think she's doing well and I'm so thankful she's still with us. It's a true miracle and I'm very aware of how close we came to losing her.
It's so wonderful to see her getting back to herself.
I do worry about whether or not there's been any permanent damage but that's something I'm hoping her blood test next week might be able to shine some light on. It's my normal vet doing it so I'll see what she thinks of it all.

Thanks for asking MM :)
She's doing well, a little better than yesterday. Eating isn't normal yet but has increased and she's more herself today. I woke up to see her cleaning herself with her characteristic non-stop happy little grunts which was lovely to hear :love:. She's been very bright and happier today so that's really good to see. I'm a bit concerned at her output as there really isn't much of it and it's still very small and irregularly shaped but other than that I think she's doing as well as can be expected considering what she's been through.
Her little ears are all bruised up though, covered in red and purple patches. Looks so painful, poor girl :( But doesn't seem to be bothering her.
She's being quite picky over what she wants to eat (mostly hay, dried forage and fresh herbs in very small amounts) but personally I've found that typical of buns recovering from stasis anyway.

In all, considering what she's been through, I think she's doing well and I'm so thankful she's still with us. It's a true miracle and I'm very aware of how close we came to losing her.
It's so wonderful to see her getting back to herself.
I do worry about whether or not there's been any permanent damage but that's something I'm hoping her blood test next week might be able to shine some light on. It's my normal vet doing it so I'll see what she thinks of it all.

Aawww you're welcome :)

So nice to hear that things are improving, and you seem happier in yourself too :) Sorry about her poor little ears. They bruise up so easily don't they, with their thin skin and small veins.

Overnight vibes for lots of good hay eating, and peace and rest for you xx

Thank you :)
I just had an apple and it immediately got her attention and she stole some off of me - so she's definitely Jazzie again :D (her 'thing' is stealing my fruit. You cannot get past her with fruit - she always knows)
It's just so lovely to see her back to her happy self. She's always such a happy little bun and you'll often hear her making these happy little grunts or honks, especially when eating or cleaning herself. She's the most vocal bunny I've ever known!
It's so wonderful to see her back to herself in that way.

I just had an apple and it immediately got her attention and she stole some off of me - so she's definitely Jazzie again :D (her 'thing' is stealing my fruit. You cannot get past her with fruit - she always knows)
It's just so lovely to see her back to her happy self. She's always such a happy little bun and you'll often hear her making these happy little grunts or honks, especially when eating or cleaning herself. She's the most vocal bunny I've ever known!

I am so pleased to read the latest update and that Jazzie is feeling a lot better :D

:D

Back