• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Through the night

AlexandraLT

Warren Scout
So as some of you know already I rescued a rabbit today. A little girlfriend for Oggy.

Everything has been going well. But the last hour Oggy has literally just followed her round trying to hump her. He makes a buzzing noise whilst doing this.

Earlier I thought it was going well and was planning on leaving them through the night.
But now I'm not sure whether it's a good idea to leave them.

Should I be turning the lights off? At the moment they have the whole bathroom space, should I be condensing this down?

There has been no aggression at all, I'm just starting to feel a bit sorry for her.

I don't really want to split them up. What do you do when bonding through the night?

So as some of you know already I rescued a rabbit today. A little girlfriend for Oggy.

Everything has been going well. But the last hour Oggy has literally just followed her round trying to hump her. He makes a buzzing noise whilst doing this.

Earlier I thought it was going well and was planning on leaving them through the night.
But now I'm not sure whether it's a good idea to leave them.

Should I be turning the lights off? At the moment they have the whole bathroom space, should I be condensing this down?

There has been no aggression at all, I'm just starting to feel a bit sorry for her.

I don't really want to split them up. What do you do when bonding through the night?

Some people do go for smaller spaces, but personally I never have. I don't find it makes a difference.

It all depends on how much the humping is bothering her, and from what you've said, it isn't really? She may be getting fed up, but she can assert herself if she wants to.

I have been known to kip on the floor beside them, just to be sure I'm there should anything happen.

Thank you.

I've turned the lights off and it's gone quiet. She seems to be getting fed up with him doing it. But just runs away when he gets close.

I'm sat in the bath tub in a pitch black room.

I may go for a nap. But set my alarm every hour or something to check on them. Seeming they seem pretty tired.

Og has eaten some hay now aswell so I'm a bit more comfortable.

Thank you.

I've turned the lights off and it's gone quiet. She seems to be getting fed up with him doing it. But just runs away when he gets close.

I'm sat in the bath tub in a pitch black room.

I may go for a nap. But set my alarm every hour or something to check on them. Seeming they seem pretty tired.

Og has eaten some hay now aswell so I'm a bit more comfortable.

Oh that's good, I'm relieved to hear that :D

UPDATE:

So I slept in the bath tub for an hour and decided that because not a lot was going on apart from Oggy making a buzzing noise at her and trying to hump her. But as there was no signs of aggression at all, I decided to go to bed and check on then every hour.

Every hour was ambitious. But I did check on them through the night and everything seemed fine.

I'm now in with them again and all is much the same. He is chasing her making a buzzing noise and trying to hump her.

I have sprinkled food and treats around. And she's eating well. But he is only interested in humping her.

I'm not sure what to do next. So if anyone has any ideas to help me out. Please let me know :)

The humping and buzzing (our boy Darwin did this) is all normal (in my experience anyway) but obviously it is important he eats instead of totally focusing on humping. If it was me (and I'm no expert) I think I would briefly remove him from the situation and try hand feeding him, when he's calmed down a bit x

I can feed him hay. If I give it to him.
He did eat it in his own yesterday but only small amounts.
He has no interest in pellets.

If I took him out of the situation in 90% sure he would eat. But I don't want to do anything to the bonding that may ruin it!!

Everything sounds normal to me. I use a bigger space but if you haven't got a bigger space then you can't do it that way. As long as they aren't fighting then keep on - it should only last for a couple more days, maybe not that long. Bonding vibes being sent your way!

Well others may say different, but my two had a number of supervised dates instead before being put together and my two were absolutely fine. As long as intially there has been no aggression like you say, I personally would take him out for a little bit to make sure he eats and maybe give them both a breather from each other. Xx

Thanks Tonibun.

The space is quite big. They aren't in the actual bath.

I just want him to eat and then he can hump away again.

What am I waiting for with the humping? What will make him stop? Just time. Or will she submit and let him be the humper?

As you've said on your other thread, she has only been spayed very recently so she is probably still very hormonal so that might be why there is a lot of humping. At least they aren't chasing and fighting, humping is normal. Have you seen the bonding sticky, there's an excellent video on there by mischief and tinkers mum of her bonding a trio, and it illustrates what is normal very well :thumb:

Sorry Zoobec but it's just the same if you are bonding spayed/non spayed rabbits. She will keep running away for up to 3 days, it might not be for that long if you are lucky and if you are very lucky there is no chasing, humping etc, they just get on from the start. Have you tried him on something he really likes and have they got a pile of hay to nibble at intermittently :D

I have seen it. We literally only have humping so I'm really not worried any more.

There has been no signs at all of any aggression so I'm very positive.

He's not been so bad the last hour. And has eaten some grass out of his grass patch. So I'm happier about that now too :)

It's hard to not be completely relaxed and just leave them to it. Cause I'm pretty confident.

I've now left the room and got the spy camera on. And Oggy is quite happy kissing her, not as much humping either!!
:)

I will try to upload some pictures!!

Sorry Zoobec but it's just the same if you are bonding spayed/non spayed rabbits. She will keep running away for up to 3 days, it might not be for that long if you are lucky and if you are very lucky there is no chasing, humping etc, they just get on from the start. Have you tried him on something he really likes and have they got a pile of hay to nibble at intermittently :D

Yes, I know there is usually lots of humping, I meant the hormones might explain that there is a lot of incessant humping involved.

I have seen it. We literally only have humping so I'm really not worried any more.

There has been no signs at all of any aggression so I'm very positive.

He's not been so bad the last hour. And has eaten some grass out of his grass patch. So I'm happier about that now too :)

It's hard to not be completely relaxed and just leave them to it. Cause I'm pretty confident.

I've now left the room and got the spy camera on. And Oggy is quite happy kissing her, not as much humping either!!
:)

I will try to upload some pictures!!

It sounds like things are settling down nicely:love:

He's now obsessed again. I know it's completely normal. And I'm trying not to think about it too much. But I just feel so sorry for her.

She doesn't seem too bad but every time she tries to eat, Oggy does his wasp impression and tries to hump her. She just hops off. But he follows.

I know this is normal. And hopefully time will make this better.

Back