• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

To rescue or not to rescue?

tabithakat64

Mama Doe
Am planning on getting a couple of rabbits when we move at the end of the month.

I've always had rescue animals previously and have seen some lovely rabbits at rescues but I also know someone who breeds mini lops and the breed seem to make good pets in general.

What should I do?

I'm ideally looking for young rabbits of the small variety that are less than a year old and have owned rabbits previously.

I'd always rescue. There are so many in rescue of every breed that there's just no need for people to be bringing more in to the world.

Well my honest opinion is to find your new furry family via a rescue. There are over 30,000 rabbits in rescues awaiting wonderful new forever homes. All shapes, sizes, ages, temperaments............ and most where possible are fully vaccinated, neutered and health checked. I have adopted from rescues for many years and have never once been disappointed.

Please consider adopting from a rescue. Many re-home nationwide so that is another plus in their favour.

Best of luck.:thumb:

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/

Last edited:
I've seen lots young mini lops in rescues too. There's no reason why wanting a specific breed should exclude you from rescuing :thumb:

I was going to get a mini lop baby from a breeder too, but I started to realise that if I got 2 that would be £60 and then you have to get them neutered or spayed and injections too for 2 rabbits is probably a couple hundred. You'd have to keep them apart when they are being done and you might have to bond them too which would mean keeping them apart to start with.

I ended up looking on the RSPCA website who have a pet search. I found a bonded pair of sisters (not lops although they did have some single lops available) were close by. They are still young only 4.5 months and have been spayed and had their injections for the year. They cost me £70 and that money presumably goes towards looking after the other rabbits that haven't been rehomed yet. The only difference is they haven't been as well handled as a baby from a breeder will likely be but they're getting use to me already (I've had them a week and a bit). It's also good to know they've had a good health check too.

Rescue. Don't get me wrong I adore my Poppy but I wished I'd got a rescue bun/pair now! when I get her a friend in the summer it will definitely be a rescue bun!

Rescue, moat rescues if you look into them you can say you are looking for a specific bunny :) and then they can contact you when suitable buns come in.

itll be cheaper than going to a breeder, and also just fyi mini lops do tend to have teeth problems.
lops in general because of the shape of the face.

so if you do decide to go for that breed then just be prepared to keep vigilant, my cousin got a mini lop from a breeder, and he is at the vet getting his teeth sorted every 3-4 months.
she never even realised he was needing his teeth burred, despite me mentioning it.
only reason wee man is still with us is because when he came to stay with me for when she went on holiday i noticed he wasn't right, took him to my vet and lo and behold his tongue was actually stuck on a spur. (think sharp spike !)

its something to bear in mind.

good luck in whatever you choose to do and pics when you get your furry babies! :love:

I don't think you'll have any/many people telling you to go to a breeder on here when we all know how many bunnies are sitting in rescues waiting for their forever home.

I will rescue rabbits forever, no thinking needed, I'd never go to a breeder for any animal.

There are baby rabbits born in rescues all the time, you just have to search a little and you'll find what you're looking for.

I'm ideally looking for young rabbits of the small variety that are less than a year old and have owned rabbits previously.

Shouldn't have too much trouble with those requirements. Have a look around in rescue and see if you can find a suitable pair. There are a lot of pros to the rescue option so I'd definately try that first.

Rescue :wave:

I have worked for a rescue and there are often babies in and even if no baby babies then a lot of buns come in young. It doesn't take long for people to get bored sadly :(

Plus whilst I have no problems with responsible breeding I cannot see that anyone breeding a breed with well known health issues can be responsible. So I would never buy from them... Moot point though really since I will always rescue. I'd feel guilty to do anything else!

If you go for a rescue bunny you could get one that is a little older which is often easier for a new owner to cope with.

I've had lots of rescued bunnies and they have all been amazing :love: theres plenty of young minilops in rescues, there are rescue centres on here that rehome nationally and people that help with transport 'bunny runs' :wave: they would already be neutered, vaccinated and possibly bonded, huge bonus!

Would be lovely to support a rescue instead of a breeder :)

Had already seen a threesome and a pair of rabbits I like the look of and spoken to the lady at the relevant rescue before posting this thread, am going to see them at the weekend and reserve them if I like them :)

Had already seen a threesome and a pair of rabbits I like the look of and spoken to the lady at the relevant rescue before posting this thread, am going to see them at the weekend and reserve them if I like them :)

Yay, more rescue bunnies going to be getting a new home. Well done you :thumb:

Eeeeeee! If all goes well please post photos :)

Back