• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sick bunny -big weight lose-help

Dina363

Young Bun
My bunny is 5 years old and I've been having problems with her health since 27.12.17. First she stoped eating and pooping, i took her to the v vet and after it was ok for maybe 14 days. Then she started peeng blood and vet give us antibiotic (they helped with pee but were bad for stomach.) After i stoped giving her antibiotic she stoped eating again. I'v took her to the vet again and it was very bad GI (vet didn't know if she's going to make it). I took her to the vet everyday for 16 day to get her medicine but eating wasn't better i had to force feed her the whole time and i stil have to. So after her stomach supposed to be better vet said she needs teeth trim (that was on 21.2.) and today she still doesn't eat all by her self. I feed her 4 times a day and she eats a little bit of veggies but no hay or pellets. I need advice how to deal with this she already lost 700g (24.6 ounces) in 2 months. I need someone to give me advice how to deal with this, vets in my country are not really bunny experts and I cant ask nobody for advice because bunnys are not really common in here.
Please help me. Did someone have this problem?

I am also sorry for my bad English

Thank you for your help

Dina & Nana (bunny)

My bunny is 5 years old and I've been having problems with her health since 27.12.17. First she stoped eating and pooping, i took her to the v vet and after it was ok for maybe 14 days. Then she started peeng blood and vet give us antibiotic (they helped with pee but were bad for stomach.) After i stoped giving her antibiotic she stoped eating again. I'v took her to the vet again and it was very bad GI (vet didn't know if she's going to make it). I took her to the vet everyday for 16 day to get her medicine but eating wasn't better i had to force feed her the whole time and i stil have to. So after her stomach supposed to be better vet said she needs teeth trim (that was on 21.2.) and today she still doesn't eat all by her self. I feed her 4 times a day and she eats a little bit of veggies but no hay or pellets. I need advice how to deal with this she already lost 700g (24.6 ounces) in 2 months. I need someone to give me advice how to deal with this, vets in my country are not really bunny experts and I cant ask nobody for advice because bunnys are not really common in here.
Please help me. Did someone have this problem?

I am also sorry for my bad English

Thank you for your help

Dina & Nana (bunny)

Has the Vet suggested running some diagnostics to try to identify the primary cause of your Rabbit's illness ? From what you have posted it sounds as though her GI tract problems are a secondary symptom as opposed to a primary problem. Diagnostics may include a full blood profile, abdominal /chest Xray and urinalysis.

Is your Rabbit spayed ?

Is she still passing blood ?

She is spayed (2015) and she is not passing blood anymore. but she also doesn't pee in her toilet anymore, she pees everywhere :( they thought teeth were the primary problem. She only had Abdominal Ultrasound and it showed that her bowel and stomach were empty thats it. She is smelling the food but doesnt eat it. i give her 3 tipes of hay, treats, veggies, i cant get critical care in my country but i did found something similar. I mix her pellets and i give her that every 4-6h. i'm really trying to make her eat something for herself. sorry for bad english! and Thank you

She is spayed (2015) and she is not passing blood anymore. but she also doesn't pee in her toilet anymore, she pees everywhere :( they thought teeth were the primary problem. She only had Abdominal Ultrasound and it showed that her bowel and stomach were empty thats it. She is smelling the food but doesnt eat it. i give her 3 tipes of hay, treats, veggies, i cant get critical care in my country but i did found something similar. I mix her pellets and i give her that every 4-6h. i'm really trying to make her eat something for herself. sorry for bad english! and Thank you

Your English is fine, dont worry about that :)

It would seem that pain from somewhere may be one of the reasons why she will not eat for herself. Has the Vet prescribed any ongoing pain relief and gut motility stimulants ? When you said the Vet 'trimmed' her teeth, was this done under general anaesthetic ? Skull xrays could also be useful as with Dental problems what goes on below the surface can be as significant as what can be seen in the Rabbit's mouth.

This article could be helpful to take a look at :

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Differential/Rabbit_dentistry.pdf

My Vet has posted some information about Rabbit Dental disease on her Blog :

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/rabbit-dental-problems-part-1-malocclusion-cheek-teeth/

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/rabbit-dental-problems-part-2-malocclusion-incisors/

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/rabbit-dental-problems-part-3-abscesses-fractures/

THANK YOU FOR THE ARTICLES!! AND HELP!!

i got pain relief, vitamins and something for stomach and she gets it on time. Her trimming was done under general anesthesia - gas i think. She is moving around and smelling food. i am worried because of her weight los, thank god she was a bit fat before so now she has her ideal weight (the vet said so) but 700g in 2 months its still too much :/

Hi Dina, your English is great :wave:

I'm sorry to hear about your rabbit. It sounds like she is in pain somewhere along the line.

How confident are you in your vet? You may not have a choice, I understand.

I would syringe feed her a little more often, to keep the guts moving. I have recently had a rabbit who's guts were completely empty on every vet visit despite syringe feeding. I was feeding him every 2 hours or so throughout the day and a little less often throughout the night.

It could also be that in addition to/ instead of dental issues she has a lingering urinary infection. These are very painful and sometimes the first antibiotic given doesn't hit the spot and clear it up.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...urinary-infection&highlight=urinary+infection

https://www.petmd.com/rabbit/conditions/urinary/c_rb_lower_urinary_tract_infection

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/Mech_diseases/Urolithiasis.htm

I hope you get some help for her soon. I know what this is like and it's so awful when a rabbit is like this.

Hugs x

hi and thank you for links!
i take her to the best vet i could get, they really tryed everything. I force feed her with mix of Science Selective pallets + goVet® Gastroplex (i got that by the vet) +Power Flake Parsley-Mix and Rice flakes & vegetables those are only good thing i can buy here and she use to like it, i cant get Critical care in my country. Feeding her is like a battle :( she hates it and im always scared that im going to hurt her. I feeded her every 4-6h with 9-12ml of mix(last 3 days)(she never eats more than 12ml no matter how much i try) before that more offten, but today i started again on 2-3h with same mix. I have a feeling like im failing her because i dont know whats wrong :(

hi and thank you for links!
i take her to the best vet i could get, they really tryed everything. I force feed her with mix of Science Selective pallets + goVet® Gastroplex (i got that by the vet) +Power Flake Parsley-Mix and Rice flakes & vegetables those are only good thing i can buy here and she use to like it, i cant get Critical care in my country. Feeding her is like a battle :( she hates it and im always scared that im going to hurt her. I feeded her every 4-6h with 9-12ml of mix(last 3 days)(she never eats more than 12ml no matter how much i try) before that more offten, but today i started again on 2-3h with same mix. I have a feeling like im failing her because i dont know whats wrong :(

Hi Dina

You're very welcome :)

It sounds like your giving a broad range of good nutrition there :)

Please don't feel like you're failing her because you don't know what's wrong. We all feel we should be 'all knowing' but even the vets aren't that so why would we expect ourselves to be? Please be kind to yourself ...

I found feeding a bit more often helped, but in your case not if it's a real battle. Just do what you can.

Fluids at the vet may make a difference, if that's at all possible for you?

Hi Dina

You're very welcome :)

It sounds like your giving a broad range of good nutrition there :)

Please don't feel like you're failing her because you don't know what's wrong. We all feel we should be 'all knowing' but even the vets aren't that so why would we expect ourselves to be? Please be kind to yourself ...

I found feeding a bit more often helped, but in your case not if it's a real battle. Just do what you can.

Fluids at the vet may make a difference, if that's at all possible for you?

really thank you!
i will try to feed her as much ass possible and im planning to call her vet on monday to see what more can i do and to get her chech up again. I will do anything for her even if it means taking her to the vet everyday.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!

really thank you!
i will try to feed her as much ass possible and im planning to call her vet on monday to see what more can i do and to get her chech up again. I will do anything for her even if it means taking her to the vet everyday.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!

When my rabbit was poorly (he's only just better) I was at the vet every other day. He was on IV fluids to hydrate the contents of the gut. Does the pain relief not help at all?

Hopefully you can get enough food into her for the time being. Is she passing any poo?

When my rabbit was poorly (he's only just better) I was at the vet every other day. He was on IV fluids to hydrate the contents of the gut. Does the pain relief not help at all?

Hopefully you can get enough food into her for the time being. Is she passing any poo?

i think that pain meds help, she is trying some food after, she is also licking walls for some reason. I wil ask vet on monday about IV fluids. Her poop is very small and dry, depending on how much food i can get into her. Is licking walls normal?

THANK YOU!!

MANY LOVES FROM NANA AND ME :)

I'm sorry your little bunny is so poorly, did the vet xray / scan her bladder? It could be a build up of bladder sludge which can be seen on xray and sludge can cause urine spotting If your little bunny is peeing every where it could still be a bladder infection. How long was she on the medicine ? It can take up to 4 weeks on medicine to fully cure the infection.

Last edited:
I'm sorry your little bunny is so poorly, did the vet xray / scan her bladder? It could be a build up of bladder sludge whoch can be seen on xray and sludge xan cause urine spotting If your little bunny is peeing every where it could still be a bladder infection. How long was she on the medicine ? It can take up to 4 weeks on medicine to fully cure the infection.

she didnt have xray but i will ask for one. She was on antibiotics for bladder about 5 day and now she was getting meds at vet for 10 days everyday so all together 15 days on antibiotics. She is feeling very bad after i give her antibiotic, but with IV meds its better. I have to ask for xray and blood test on monday and see what happend. i dont even know if here they do xrays on bunnys...

i think that pain meds help, she is trying some food after, she is also licking walls for some reason. I wil ask vet on monday about IV fluids. Her poop is very small and dry, depending on how much food i can get into her. Is licking walls normal?

THANK YOU!!

MANY LOVES FROM NANA AND ME :)

Licking walls can be a sign of something and nothing. I wouldn't worry about it. You are giving her pain meds and that's what's important at the moment :)

Loves back to you and Nana x

it's been 5 days since her teeth trimming and she is still doesnt eat good bye her self. I still have too force feed her every 3h :cry: she is trying too eat little hay and paletts but not enough :( her poops are also still small :( i called her vet and we are going for a check up tomorow :( how long can this take? Thank you for help!

hello, I remember Nana. I don't have any experience with urinary tract problems in bunnies & it does seem that is worth investigating. Even though Nana had her dental to even her teeth out, some bunnies find eating hay too painful if they have elongated tooth roots. These would show on skull xrays. In cases like this it can help to cut up things small, try grated veg, maybe a little pear. Will she eat moistened pellets from a bowl? My bunnies do but only if flavoured with fenugreek powder which might be worth a try.

hello, I remember Nana. I don't have any experience with urinary tract problems in bunnies & it does seem that is worth investigating. Even though Nana had her dental to even her teeth out, some bunnies find eating hay too painful if they have elongated tooth roots. These would show on skull xrays. In cases like this it can help to cut up things small, try grated veg, maybe a little pear. Will she eat moistened pellets from a bowl? My bunnies do but only if flavoured with fenugreek powder which might be worth a try.

im taking her to the vet and i will ask for xray. i'm loosing my mind on her eating. She hates wet food and force feeding. I give her 2 types of peletts, 3types of hay and veggies to eat. She takes small portion and thats it. I'm worried because i have to go back to work and wont be able to feed her every 3h :(

im taking her to the vet and i will ask for xray. i'm loosing my mind on her eating. She hates wet food and force feeding. I give her 2 types of peletts, 3types of hay and veggies to eat. She takes small portion and thats it. I'm worried because i have to go back to work and wont be able to feed her every 3h :(

I literally have to lock her in her cage so she goes in her toilet and eat hay or at least try. If i let her in my room she goes in her corner and sleep. But now she is in her cage for 40min and she did drink water and is eating hay on her own a little. also today i fed her a bit more then usually (15ml of food + water + metaclopramide 0,1ml and i give her 50min massage and cuddles). She had it all in 2 months, blood in Urine, bad GI and her teeth trimmed. My poor girl

Back