• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spencer again

Thanks, funnily enough as soon as I emailed Vets4Pets they’ve gone quiet.

The father in law knows some solicitors, so he has been given permission to have an unofficial chat with him to see what, if any, legal avenues we have.

If they drag their heels with my request for records etc then I’m more than happy to make an official freedom of information request for all of the medical records for both Frank and Spencer.

I’m also not adverse to going down the bad publicity route. Although I’d preferred to leave that as a final option when all other options have been exhausted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my opinion, the practice manager wanted to determine how they could settle with you for as little as possible; and they are not willing to accept the same level of responsibility they would have if further testing confirmed RHD2.

In my opinion, the practice manager wanted to determine how they could settle with you for as little as possible; and they are not willing to accept the same level of responsibility they would have if further testing confirmed RHD2.

Unfortunately both my wife and I are starting to suspect this as well.

Vets4Pets did eventually get back to me after I threatened to go straight to their CEO, and aim to respond to may requests within 10 days.

I am now looking into gathering as much information as I can about the efficacy of the Nobivac vaccination i.e. the percentage of rabbits who have received the vaccination but still go on to develop RHD1, and to also try and find another laboratory to see if I can get the samples tested for the strain of RHD.

If anyone has any advice on where I can look to find this sort of information I would be very grateful.

Unfortunately both my wife and I are starting to suspect this as well.

Vets4Pets did eventually get back to me after I threatened to go straight to their CEO, and aim to respond to may requests within 10 days.

I am now looking into gathering as much information as I can about the efficacy of the Nobivac vaccination i.e. the percentage of rabbits who have received the vaccination but still go on to develop RHD1, and to also try and find another laboratory to see if I can get the samples tested for the strain of RHD.

If anyone has any advice on where I can look to find this sort of information I would be very grateful.

I would contact the RCVS'

I have found them to be very helpful.

https://www.rcvs.org.uk/concerns/im-an-animal-owner-and-i-want-to-raise-a-concern/

I also have another idea and will contact you privately about that.

Taken from the RHD2 thread, post 235:

Diagnosis of RHD2 and Post Mortem:

Rise in RHD2 according to vet pathologists and another point to access post mortem services, see below;

I was speaking to 3 veterinary pathologists yesterday at an event from the Royal Veterinary College (RVC) at Hatfield, Herts. They commented upon the rising number of RHD2 cases they are seeing. Gross post mortem is not often revealing and histology and PCR are the tools to establish the diagnosis.

For info for some - PCR is a quick diagnosis compared to histology as you can get the results in 24 hours if the lab that has the specimen is efficient and not all labs are!

They said the RVC offer PM services. Ideally they need the body fresh within 48 hours max. You can access the price list on the web page at the bottom of this post. Look at page 20 for their prices which are way more expensive than The Queen’s Veterinary School at Cambridge University I have previously posted on, where a rabbit is £66.53+VAT. Cambridge University has billions in assets so that vet school can afford to be ‘not for profit’.

https://www.rvc.ac.uk/Media/Default...RVC-Labs-Pricelist revised with 2017 2018.pdf

Thanks all.

The vets have sent me over some of the documentation that I have requested, although they have left out the report from Spencer's final stay at the out of hours vets, which I have now asked them to provide.

They are still waiting to hear about whether further tests can be carried out to determine the strain of RHD that Spencer had, and I am pressuring them to pay for the additional tests, I have also asked which RHD2 vaccination the rabbits should have received if they had been vaccinated correctly back in February, which will then allow me to contact the manufacturer of that vaccine to find out the % or rabbits that are vaccinated and still contract RHD2.

This is so that I can work out the odds of the boys contracting RHD2 if they had been vaccinated which will allow me to answer their "no vaccination is 100% effective" line with a firm figure backed up by scientific research that if they had been vaccinated they would have had a xx% chance of surviving an infection rather than the 0% chance they had due to the boys not being vaccinated at all.

Back