• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Dillon and Cuthbert

Every day since I started this thread the boys have had playdates together. Every other day I have switched the run around so that they are half in their old space and half in the other bunnies space. We have swopped bowl, balls and litter trays and the boys get fresh veg only when on a play date - what they dont finish goes back into their run over night. The run is lifted up so they can come and go as they please even into each others sides, they dont seem to be too bothered by which side they are in and sit with their head in the pellet bowl together - Dillon has junior pellets and Cuthy doesnt so I think that is why they both eat out of Dillons bowl.

Tonight for the first time they are lying not next to one another but on top of each other. That is a good sign I think?

They do some occasional half hearted humping usually with Dillon humping Cuthberts head.

Every day since I started this thread the boys have had playdates together. Every other day I have switched the run around so that they are half in their old space and half in the other bunnies space. We have swopped bowl, balls and litter trays and the boys get fresh veg only when on a play date - what they dont finish goes back into their run over night. The run is lifted up so they can come and go as they please even into each others sides, they dont seem to be too bothered by which side they are in and sit with their head in the pellet bowl together - Dillon has junior pellets and Cuthy doesnt so I think that is why they both eat out of Dillons bowl.

Tonight for the first time they are lying not next to one another but on top of each other. That is a good sign I think?

They do some occasional half hearted humping usually with Dillon humping Cuthberts head.

Boys will be boys! :)

I still havent put the boys together in the run but when they are on playdate time they do both get in the same fleece and snuggle down to sleep. I have to split them up at bed time which results in a lot of foot thumping. I do wonder if they are telling me they are ready to have the barrier removed between them. They use each others litter trays, eat from each others bowls and sleep in each others fleeces.

Forgive the bad photography.
20180101_203908[1] by Ra Greenwood, on Flickr

I still havent put the boys together in the run but when they are on playdate time they do both get in the same fleece and snuggle down to sleep. I have to split them up at bed time which results in a lot of foot thumping. I do wonder if they are telling me they are ready to have the barrier removed between them. They use each others litter trays, eat from each others bowls and sleep in each others fleeces.

awww, they look like already bonded bunnies to me

Thank you for your replies, they look for one another constantly and I am happy to leave them in the room together and just get on with life. I do find it difficult to cook with them out of the run as they come legging it into the kitchen and up my leg if they smell toast / hear a wrapper / etc etc

I agree with other responses. They look very happy with each other. Very cute pic btw.

That's a really lovely photo of two rabbits who want to be together :love:

I do find rabbits get 'angry' when us humans keep trying to tell them how and when to 'get along' together :lol:

That's a really lovely photo of two rabbits who want to be together :love:

I do find rabbits get 'angry' when us humans keep trying to tell them how and when to 'get along' together :lol:

I was definitely being told off :) I am still going to wait until I am off on Friday before removing the partition - l will risk the wrath of wappits until then.

I was definitely being told off :) I am still going to wait until I am off on Friday before removing the partition - l will risk the wrath of wappits until then.

I had a lady bun who taught me this lesson many years ago. I was bonding her and her first husbun, and when I interfered too much she bit me :shock: And I swear she said, "LEAVE HIM TO ME".

Once I did, it all worked out. She knew what she was doing. She lived to 14 and had three husbuns :lol:
She probably knew an awful lot more than I ever will!

I had a lady bun who taught me this lesson many years ago. I was bonding her and her first husbun, and when I interfered too much she bit me :shock: And I swear she said, "LEAVE HIM TO ME".

Once I did, it all worked out. She knew what she was doing. She lived to 14 and had three husbuns :lol:
She probably knew an awful lot more than I ever will!

:lol: Mousey used to tell me of interfering when bonding my trio, the minute she saw me go for my oven glove she'd stomp & glare at me

:lol: Mousey used to tell me of interfering when bonding my trio, the minute she saw me go for my oven glove she'd stomp & glare at me

Oven glove? Mouse may have thought you were going to put her in a pie? :shock:
I think I would do more than stomp and glare :lol:

Thats a lovely photo. I'm pleased that things are going well and you have a lovely lady lined up :) x

Thats a lovely photo. I'm pleased that things are going well and you have a lovely lady lined up :) x

No TheThreadB's the lady bunny fell through :( I really dont know what to do about it now. On one hand I want a lady bunny prior to them becoming in one pen (friday) but on the other I fear I will have to leave it as they will get too established. Two rescues said they would keep me in mind but they do not get giant rabbits in very often. I wish I knew what to do about it.

No TheThreadB's the lady bunny fell through :( I really dont know what to do about it now. On one hand I want a lady bunny prior to them becoming in one pen (friday) but on the other I fear I will have to leave it as they will get too established. Two rescues said they would keep me in mind but they do not get giant rabbits in very often. I wish I knew what to do about it.

Oh gosh, sorry, did I miss that up thread?

On the plus side things sound really positive with the boys. Hopefully someone will be along who can advise about introducing another bun at a later date perhaps. I've bonded a trio, but all at once, so I'm not too sure x

I don't know how far you can travel, and I'm sure you've already thought of this, but there are some rabbits here:

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/search/breed/giant

http://www.rookespetproducts.co.uk/giant-rabbit-rescue/

I also came across another recently whilst searching for a rabbit.

I agree, putting all three together at the same time is my preference when bonding a trio.

Oh MightyMax that is wonderful. I will enquire asap.

:D

I came across a couple of giant sisters too ...

http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/s...fieds/pets/rabbits/all/uk/giant+rabbit+rehome

(I know you only want one!)

An unwanted girl here:
http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/s...k=/search?keyword=giant+rabbit&sectionId=2154

This is the rescue that takes in giant rabbits, it's in Colchester Essex:

http://www.smallanimalsboarding.co.uk
(ask for Tracy on 07815 79 79 36 - it looks like it's only boarding but it isn't - let me know if you need more details)

Back