• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dermal/Nodular Myxi

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
Hi
Has anyone had any experience of dermal/nodular myxi? Spudsey looks like she may have it :cry: I've tried looking for info but just keep finding myxi.
Thanks

Last edited:
No experience but I'm so sorry to hear lil Spudsey has another health issue to deal with :( Its just as well she is such a brave fighter. Lots of vibes xx

Hi Jane
No I don't believe so, I haven't seen her yet as she's in boarding. The lady looking after her rang me on Saturday as the area around her eye had flared up, she took her straight to the vets and they couldn't see anything in her eye so prescribed drops. By Sunday it was worse so she saw Simon at the cat and rabbit clinic and he thought it was dermal myxi. So she's now on penicillin injections once a day again, and metacam doubled. I've got another appointment with him on Friday. Collecting Spudsey this evening.

No experience but I'm so sorry to hear lil Spudsey has another health issue to deal with :( Its just as well she is such a brave fighter. Lots of vibes xx

Thank you!!!! Yes despite her age (12!) she has got through two bouts of snuffles this year alone, just hope she can get through this too! i know I'm incredibly lucky to have had her so long, but I would rather she just went peacefully and not through some horrible illness. Guess thats what every pet owner wants isn't it?

Hi Jane
No I don't believe so, I haven't seen her yet as she's in boarding. The lady looking after her rang me on Saturday as the area around her eye had flared up, she took her straight to the vets and they couldn't see anything in her eye so prescribed drops. By Sunday it was worse so she saw Simon at the cat and rabbit clinic and he thought it was dermal myxi. So she's now on penicillin injections once a day again, and metacam doubled. I've got another appointment with him on Friday. Collecting Spudsey this evening.

If she is fully up to date with her vaccinations then she has a fighting chance of making a full recovery. The nodules may take several weeks to resolve and any that appear on the eyelids or around the nose can be a bit problematic. But many, many Rabbits recover from Dermal Myxo as long as they are up to date with their vaccinations. It must be very worrying for you as you cant actually see her for yourself. But she is under the care of a very Rabbit Savvy Vet and hopely she will not get any more nodules appearing. The heavy duty abx cover will give her the best protection against secondary bacterial infection (pneumonia). It is secondary bacterial infection that is the cause of fatalities and this is much less likely to occur in a vaccinated Rabbit x

If she is fully up to date with her vaccinations then she has a fighting chance of making a full recovery. The nodules may take several weeks to resolve and any that appear on the eyelids or around the nose can be a bit problematic. But many, many Rabbits recover from Dermal Myxo as long as they are up to date with their vaccinations. It must be very worrying for you as you cant actually see her for yourself. But she is under the care of a very Rabbit Savvy Vet and hopely she will not get any more nodules appearing. The heavy duty abx cover will give her the best protection against secondary bacterial infection (pneumonia). It is secondary bacterial infection that is the cause of fatalities and this is much less likely to occur in a vaccinated Rabbit x

Hi Jane, yes fully up to date with her vaccinations. Yes under a very rabbit savvy vet, Simon is amazing it has to be said! I've actually registered one of my cats with him now as he's got some underlying issues, possibly digestive. thanks for being positive, ah the joys of owning pets (in particular old ones!)

Hi Jane, yes fully up to date with her vaccinations. Yes under a very rabbit savvy vet, Simon is amazing it has to be said! I've actually registered one of my cats with him now as he's got some underlying issues, possibly digestive. thanks for being positive, ah the joys of owning pets (in particular old ones!)

Quite, and I thought owning Pets was meant to help reduce our stress levels !! :lol:

Hope that Simon can find out what's up with your cat and get him onto some treatment to help him feel better xx

Quite, and I thought owning Pets was meant to help reduce our stress levels !! :lol:

Hope that Simon can find out what's up with your cat and get him onto some treatment to help him feel better xx

Ha Ha! Yes apparently!

Cats are also in boarding but I haven't heard from them so hopefully Alfiecat has been ok, although I'm sure Simon can shed some light or at least come up with some suggestions as to what the issue is.

Thank you!!!! Yes despite her age (12!) she has got through two bouts of snuffles this year alone, just hope she can get through this too! i know I'm incredibly lucky to have had her so long, but I would rather she just went peacefully and not through some horrible illness. Guess thats what every pet owner wants isn't it?

It is what every pet owner wants but that doesn't mean Spudsey can't have that in later years. I hope she copes ok. She's in expert hands xx

Spudsey now home :) Was very concerned when we picked her up, was sitting very quietly in bedroom of hutch although had eaten. Perked up a little in carrier, but then went really quiet again. She's back in the indoor cage again but I've removed the top level and put it on our kitchen table, so she now has a view outside and can see more than the last time we brought her in, so hopefully she won't mind it too much!

Spudsey now home :) Was very concerned when we picked her up, was sitting very quietly in bedroom of hutch although had eaten. Perked up a little in carrier, but then went really quiet again. She's back in the indoor cage again but I've removed the top level and put it on our kitchen table, so she now has a view outside and can see more than the last time we brought her in, so hopefully she won't mind it too much!

Bless her, I hope she will soon be well enough to go back outside as remember you saying how her being a true wildie means she really prefers outdoor life. Sending lots of vibes for her xx

Thanks Jane. I awoke to the sound of her thumping a couple of hours ago and she's eaten all her breakfast already so that's a good sign.

Thanks Jane. I awoke to the sound of her thumping a couple of hours ago and she's eaten all her breakfast already so that's a good sign.

She's a right feisty wee Bunny !! She'll soon be able to get back outdoors I am sure. I bet you'll get 'the look' a lot whilst she is indoors leaving you in no doubt that Lady S is not impressed by having to live indoors :lol: If only we could get them to understand that sometimes doing want they dont want to do is for their own good !

I remember when your were hand rearing Spudsey, she will always hold a special place in my heart. I cant believe she is 12 now, honestly were does time go.................

She's a right feisty wee Bunny !! She'll soon be able to get back outdoors I am sure. I bet you'll get 'the look' a lot whilst she is indoors leaving you in no doubt that Lady S is not impressed by having to live indoors :lol: If only we could get them to understand that sometimes doing want they dont want to do is for their own good !

I remember when your were hand rearing Spudsey, she will always hold a special place in my heart. I cant believe she is 12 now, honestly were does time go.................

Ha Ha! She's been busy rearranging her cage this morning and is now sitting quietly! I would love her to stay inside personally given her age, but definitely think she'd prefer to get back outside! depends how the weather goes. I was lucky when I moved her back outside earlier in the year as we had a lovely warm spell. seems so autumnal now although I have been in France for the past week where they were having a bit of a heat wave!

Awww thanks Jane! :love: I don't know where that time has gone! But I have been incredibly lucky to have had her for 12 years, she is one amazing rabbit!

Back