• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

a question for Syringe Feeders

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
What position do you use ? Burrito & hold bun semi upright or all paws on the ground / table?

Last edited:
Burrito on a table. So that their mouth is eye level and I can see more closely what is actually going in, rather than anywhere else :roll: :lol:

Last edited:
What position do you use ? Burrito & hold bun semi upright or all paws on the ground / table?
On the floor, no burrito, front paws in my left hand (or resting on left wrist area or arm) raised a few cm off the floor, syringe in right hand. Just works for my lot, it's how I do meds too. And I'm just kinda leaning over them. With the white buns as they're outside now, I do the same thing but on our garden table, I put a towel down so they're standing on a clean towel, but everything else is the same, I find doing it easier on the floor though :)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I have to use different methods for Snoopy and Fudgie.

For Fudgie, I wrap her in a blanket, have her with all four feet on the floor and between my knees. I lean over to feed her.

Snoopy refuses to take the syringe that way so I have him wrapped in a blanket and held upright. I don't really like doing it that way as I always worry there's a greater aspiration risk but it seems to be the only way he'll take it without a fight.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

A bit of variation then. I've always gone for the Snoopy method but recently found the Clementine & Atticus method actually works. I'd quite like to burrito him & try on the table but haven't yet owing to concerns he might not want to eat out of his familiar territory - nothing lost in trying though

Thanks for your replies

Always burrito Phillip and hold him semi upright when he needs feeding. The last time someone tried it with his paws on the floor they ended up with a mouthful of baytril :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aboleth was a cooperative-ish all feet on floor, no burrito, at her level, but she was so unwell she wasn't really feeling up to a fight :love: Lopsy has too much neck movement and can bury his face into his chest through our (rubbish) burritos.

I find all 4 paws on the ground to be the best method for most if not all interventions such as medicating and nail-cutting. I find having rabbits on my lap or worse wrapped up burrito-style freaks them out more, resulting in more struggles. I think it must to an extent depend on the rabbit though. With rabbits who are comfortable sitting on laps then maybe it's different.

I find all 4 paws on the ground to be the best method for most if not all interventions such as medicating and nail-cutting. I find having rabbits on my lap or worse wrapped up burrito-style freaks them out more, resulting in more struggles. I think it must to an extent depend on the rabbit though. With rabbits who are comfortable sitting on laps then maybe it's different.
You know I kinda agree with burritos freaking some buns out, it's weird none of mine need burrito'ing by me really, but I find with buns I don't know or buns who won't be touched or handled it's the best way to get it over and done with, making it less stressful for them.

I wrapped a towel round Atticus last time he was sick and being medicated, mainly so I didn't get covered in poop [emoji51] but he prefers no towel, but I couldn't give him fluids every hour without a towel barrier between us, I'd have run out of clothes very quickly [emoji38]

So basically unknown buns, or buns not used to it, burritos can work really well.. But once they know you and know the deal.. I think it's more scary for them to have a towel wrapped round them.. Clementine won't have a towel near her now, but she'll tolerate any medication or fluids etc it's like she gets it. At the vets though they have to burrito her and be careful, she takes lumps out of them :( makes me sad, she's never bitten me or my boyfriend, she's the sweetest, clearly her experience at that vets has scared her. She lunges at anyone who comes near her - at trinity vets she was sweet and inquisitive, I kept worrying she'd bite mark, but she was like a different bun! Buns are more intelligent than we give them credit for I think [emoji38]

Mousey's face during Mondays consult when she was burritoed was an absolute picture. I can only burrito Joey myself, the others are wriggling escapees . It does seem to calm them (mine) when its done right tho

I do find it bizarre Rudey will no longer eat off his bamboo spoon but will eat the same offering (made thinner) from a syringe. I dont even put the syringe in his mouth, just very near it.

I do find it bizarre Rudey will no longer eat off his bamboo spoon but will eat the same offering (made thinner) from a syringe. I dont even put the syringe in his mouth, just very near it.
I don't have answers but Atticus does stuff like that, one minute something is acceptable, next week it's all changed [emoji38] Idk why it happens!

Burrito but with paws on something solid. Dilly seemed to know a towel on the table meant he was being "done" and almost seemed to accept that. If his feet were not on something solid he would flick his body and he was to heavy for me to hold.

Bramble was the first bun I had to medicate regularly and she would just sit there on the worktop and let me do whatever was needed. She was a very unusual bun though, she even let the vets take blood from her without any sedation!
I find they like to have something grippy under all four paws such as a towel.
When bloke was here, I’d put bun on his lap facing outwards, bum against his stomach so they couldn’t reverse. He’d hold their sides and I could then kneel in front and do the necessary, we’d get a bit of head wriggling but usually managed.
I still tend to sit bun on a towel or fabric square on the sofa now and use the back and arm of the sofa to help keep them safe. Thankfully, I haven’t had to do it recently. *touches wood*

Bramble was the first bun I had to medicate regularly and she would just sit there on the worktop and let me do whatever was needed. She was a very unusual bun though, she even let the vets take blood from her without any sedation!
I find they like to have something grippy under all four paws such as a towel.
When bloke was here, I’d put bun on his lap facing outwards, bum against his stomach so they couldn’t reverse. He’d hold their sides and I could then kneel in front and do the necessary, we’d get a bit of head wriggling but usually managed.
I still tend to sit bun on a towel or fabric square on the sofa now and use the back and arm of the sofa to help keep them safe. Thankfully, I haven’t had to do it recently. *touches wood*

sorry:lol: :oops:

He's a good boy, if fickle. Neither Mousey nor Rudey were sedated for bloods - I didn't know they did that

dear joey&boo,--when syringe feeding a rabbit,-a burrito works well-on a table,providing you have access to the mouth and an excellent grip[all around the rabbit]--safety first,--the syringe is always intended for the cheek area-2cc per bite,then swallowed,-not directly down the throat[the response is immediate]-and negative--.-sincerely james waller-from the other kent-usa

Back