• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP!! Poorly Bunny with eyes constantly scanning left to right and off balance

Today is the first day of not force feeding bailey and she got very excited to eat this morning! SO much so she fell over! Silly foofoo!! She's eaten pellets and hay and greens (is in love with radishes) and her poops are near enough normal size again. I've ran out of pain meds and vet said to continue with 1ml in morning and evening for 2 weeks (when I last spoke) so going to have to pick up some more as only 5 days on so a bit early to stop. Especially when she's eating herself I don't want anything to send her backwards

Yes I agree with keeping on with the pain meds :)

I am so pleased to hear of her excitement over her food - that's lovely :love:

She nearly knocked her husbun over this morning she was in that much of a rush to eat! Lots of pellets and hay and greens munched. As I'm not force feeding she's more hungry and has to feed herself and she is doing so that's good! Fingers crossed she keeps improving with the antibiotics and pain meds. Going to have to pick up some more pain meds today (they arnt cheap either) lucky she's worth it!
May even start on the bonding this weekend to make them a 3 some. Bailey has met the new bun Oreo already I let him out when I do her meds as he's a nice distraction and fussed over her. She puts her face under his chin it's cute ��

She nearly knocked her husbun over this morning she was in that much of a rush to eat! Lots of pellets and hay and greens munched. As I'm not force feeding she's more hungry and has to feed herself and she is doing so that's good! Fingers crossed she keeps improving with the antibiotics and pain meds. Going to have to pick up some more pain meds today (they arnt cheap either) lucky she's worth it!
May even start on the bonding this weekend to make them a 3 some. Bailey has met the new bun Oreo already I let him out when I do her meds as he's a nice distraction and fussed over her. She puts her face under his chin it's cute ��

I am glad that she is improving. Personally I'd hold off on the bonding until she has completed her treatment. Bonding is stressful and stress may set her back again. But of course that is just my opinion, you may disagree which is fine :)

Re the analgesia. I assume it's Meloxicam (Metacam/Loxicom/Meloxydyl ) ? You could ask your Vet to write you a prescription for it and then buy it online. It's a lot cheaper

https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/pres...-oral-suspension-for-dogs-10ml.html?q=metacam

So pleased to hear she has some spirit!

Yes, Metacam isn't cheap. I had a bunny long term Metacam and my vet wrote me a prescription. You have to pay for a prescription, which isn't cheap either, but usually it's valid for two 'uses'. I would reckon it's only worth it if your vet is considering longer term analgesia for her.

Good luck with the bonding :D

Got more metacam got a 32ml bottle that's plenty big enough. Vet charged me £5 just for collecting the medicine! When I only needed more medicine because they didn't give me enough last Saturday when the vet said she needed metacam 1ml in morning and 1ml in evening for 2 weeks and they gave me 10ml! So obviously that was only going to last 5 days bloody cheek! That's one thing I'll say about Ashleigh vets. They know their stuff but will rinse you for every penny they can get!

I am glad that she is improving. Personally I'd hold off on the bonding until she has completed her treatment. Bonding is stressful and stress may set her back again. But of course that is just my opinion, you may disagree which is fine :)

Re the analgesia. I assume it's Meloxicam (Metacam/Loxicom/Meloxydyl ) ? You could ask your Vet to write you a prescription for it and then buy it online. It's a lot cheaper

https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/pres...-oral-suspension-for-dogs-10ml.html?q=metacam

I may leave bailey out of the bonding sessions as her and Oreo are already friends and just bond the boys

Got more metacam got a 32ml bottle that's plenty big enough. Vet charged me £5 just for collecting the medicine! When I only needed more medicine because they didn't give me enough last Saturday when the vet said she needed metacam 1ml in morning and 1ml in evening for 2 weeks and they gave me 10ml! So obviously that was only going to last 5 days bloody cheek! That's one thing I'll say about Ashleigh vets. They know their stuff but will rinse you for every penny they can get!

So sorry about the cost, but glad you got the meds :)

Update on bailey after an eventful afternoon hopping and nibbling veggies she was practically trying to break out of her house at feeding time. Munched more pellets than I've seen the past 2 week. So glad she's back to eating and hopping. She still doesn't like medicine time �� Ops!

Update on bailey after an eventful afternoon hopping and nibbling veggies she was practically trying to break out of her house at feeding time. Munched more pellets than I've seen the past 2 week. So glad she's back to eating and hopping. She still doesn't like medicine time �� Ops!

Yaaaaaaaaay go Bailey Bunny !! :D

A top tip for you Bailey, after being given the pesky medicine it can be very cathartic to do a big wee down the front of your human slave :thumb:

This sounds great news :) Lots of spirit and attitude - that's what I like to hear :D

Yaaaaaaaaay go Bailey Bunny !! :D

A top tip for you Bailey, after being given the pesky medicine it can be very cathartic to do a big wee down the front of your human slave :thumb:

Oh yes bailey liked this one and it's for that reason I shoo her into the litter tray before I pick her up haha onto her!

Bailey update - she's got one more dose left on antibiotics and is back to normal eating drinking hopping and licking. SHes still a little tilted head wise to the right side and I have noticed she hasn't been upstairs in the 2 tier house once. Yesterday I helped her upstairs but she didn't come down and didn't look like she wanted to she had a look and then changed her mind and she wobbled over nearly once! Which she hasn't done in weeks. I guided her downstairs which she was grateful for and then she happily hopped down the step out the house and can hop back in easily. Just a bit concerned as at the end of the medicine and she doesn't seem 100%. Obviously I know it's only been 4 weeks and so may take a while for her head tilt to be fully straight. But do I need more antibiotics? I have recently stopped metacam so she will be getting used to that too. She doesn't seem in pain andbis very happy to eat and run around

Bailey update - she's got one more dose left on antibiotics and is back to normal eating drinking hopping and licking. SHes still a little tilted head wise to the right side and I have noticed she hasn't been upstairs in the 2 tier house once. Yesterday I helped her upstairs but she didn't come down and didn't look like she wanted to she had a look and then changed her mind and she wobbled over nearly once! Which she hasn't done in weeks. I guided her downstairs which she was grateful for and then she happily hopped down the step out the house and can hop back in easily. Just a bit concerned as at the end of the medicine and she doesn't seem 100%. Obviously I know it's only been 4 weeks and so may take a while for her head tilt to be fully straight. But do I need more antibiotics? I have recently stopped metacam so she will be getting used to that too. She doesn't seem in pain andbis very happy to eat and run around

I would certainly ask the vet about continuing the antibiotics, or possibly even changing them.

I'm glad to hear that she's made progress. Yes, you want to try and make sure she is as well as possible before stopping any treatment x

She's still eating normally and hopping around happily. Debating whether to take her to vet for check up or to see how she is over next week

Back