• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Building a tall bunny run need advice

An inside 'gate' is useful to stop them running out when you go in :) Here's our playhouse one:

11313183_10101626008060608_8837799376624106146_o.jpg

Wonky but serviceable ;P

I’ve contacted a company for a bespoke one, that’s a really good idea to add in as they run over to me every time I go in the current run, I’ve asked for a hatch also for easy access to the garden for them, I’m going to put a tunnel in it.

I’ve been looking at Omlet, I really like the runs on there especially as you can add to them and change them, I’m just wondering if they are safe for the hutch to go in the run and be left open all night?

I’ve been looking at Omlet, I really like the runs on there especially as you can add to them and change them, I’m just wondering if they are safe for the hutch to go in the run and be left open all night?
No, a fox would scale them easily: foxes will scale most fences if there's easy food on the other side. unless you can roof it effectively. I do like the Omlet 'runs' though, I've always wanted that find of fencing but it's been too difficult to get hold of as a 'domestic' situation wanting a coupele of panels.

The Omlet runs are pricey though so I need to make sure they are the right option before we decide to buy one.
My bunnies literally got out of bed about an hour ago they would send all day in their hutch and play out in the evening.

I want them to be able to play out when they want to and not be worrying about them all night, we currently close them in their hutch every night, we spent a lot on the hutch so need something the hutch can sit in.

We have a space of 8ft by 6ft for them, their hutch is big though, it’s this one;
UipSQMS.jpg

I don’t know if to get a wooden enclosure built bespoke or buy the Omlet one, we are not construction people at all so can’t do it ourselves, what would you suggest?

The only other way I can think of is getting a side opening shed but I’d need some way of airing it.

Hmm, I've go the half-version of that hutch (mine's smaller too) and we attached a runaround/duct tube using a Runaround connector to the mesh on the end:

11864788_10101699959885558_8378621120350596012_o.jpg

Might be a bit hard to see there. It comes out of the run at high level hence the brick support. It's been like that 5yrs with no issue though :) Except triphazard. It's relatively easy to do with long tubes (I got all mine from building sites): some are more flexible than others. We connected a 4'x4' playhouse (£40 secondhand off Gumtreee, just needed assembly to a run to the hutch for 24/7 access: they also now have a dogcrate where that open-topped pen is with access from the bottom right door of the hutch.

11893749_10101699959880568_4030502373450480067_o.jpg

Unfortunately I’ve got young children one of which has autism, she often wants to see the rabbits as soon as she gets home from Nursery and will run out to the hutch to see them, I need the rabbits in a secure enclosure so that my daughters can see them whilst not scaring them.

I thinking of either getting the Omlet run and closing the rabbits into the hutch each evening or maybe getting an 8ft by 6ft shed and taking the side off, i could then put metal meshed On that side, my partners just worried about the support if I take the side off it, with the hutch being 7ft long I need something long enough for it to go in, I was hoping to get rid of the second hutch but they have now decided that the second hutch is there new toilet area...

I thinking of either getting the Omlet run and closing the rabbits into the hutch each evening or maybe getting an 8ft by 6ft shed and taking the side off, i could then put metal meshed On that side, my partners just worried about the support if I take the side off it, with the hutch being 7ft long I need something long enough for it to go in, I was hoping to get rid of the second hutch but they have now decided that the second hutch is there new toilet area...
You can still get rid of the hutch: they'll change their toilet habits totally when moved into a new area in all likeliness. The shed idea is great, have you considered a dog kennel? It's basically the same and you husband needn't worry about structural issues as it's designed like this:

Wilton-dog-kennel-and-run_1024x1024@2x.jpg

From https://www.ukkennels.co.uk/: they've got lots of different sizes and styles and come with an indoor area readymade :)

That looks great, we still need to house our current hutch but we could make it work, thank you so much.

Back