• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

Your pics are great :D You're forgiven for no pics of Wildies - they need to be shy as they live longer that way :)

Your foraging spots are lovely too. Your village must be super rural :love:

One of our Hawthorn trees got its top removed this afternoon, so Mr Openreach can get to the pole. Rabbits were very happy :love: Tui can definitely out-eat Tethra. He has to go and rest his overfull tummy now and again. She just keeps going on and on and on.....:lol: I don't think they'll be getting many pellets this evening.

Your pics are great :D You're forgiven for no pics of Wildies - they need to be shy as they live longer that way :)

Your foraging spots are lovely too. Your village must be super rural :love:

One of our Hawthorn trees got its top removed this afternoon, so Mr Openreach can get to the pole. Rabbits were very happy :love: Tui can definitely out-eat Tethra. He has to go and rest his overfull tummy now and again. She just keeps going on and on and on.....:lol: I don't think they'll be getting many pellets this evening.

I bet they were happy. So Tethra is not such a greedy rex - Joey is the same, the girls will not stop filling their faces til everything has gone but Joey normally leaves early & indulges in hay for desert.

I have dock leaf bunting :lol:

DIZ8Yxpl.jpg

I bet they were happy. So Tethra is not such a greedy rex - Joey is the same, the girls will not stop filling their faces til everything has gone but Joey normally leaves early & indulges in hay for desert.

I have dock leaf bunting :lol:

DIZ8Yxpl.jpg
[/IMG]

I consider Tethra still to be a greedy Rex. It's just that Tui is greedier :lol: She'd probably justify it by saying she's still growing :lol:

Your Dock leaves are ginormous:shock: Ours are probably a quarter of the size!

They are massive & very slow drying!!. Getting on my nerves now having slimy green hanky things hovering above my head . Boo likes it though as one occasionally drops off.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Dg4Yg88jCo7Na83r1
Just quickly, went on a little forage, would you agree this pic is of Sweet Cicely (pg 29 in twigs way book?)

I couldn't get the picture to load, sorry.

When I got home today, OH thought I'd bailed out because of the turn in the weather. Nope, it was because I'd already filled all my bags and couldn't carry anymore! Will have to stick some in the airing cupboard to dry when the indoor guys have their tea. :lol:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Dg4Yg88jCo7Na83r1
Just quickly, went on a little forage, would you agree this pic is of Sweet Cicely (pg 29 in twigs way book?)

That looks like Cow Parsley to me. It's also in the Twig's Way book.

Some people are nervous about picking Cow Parsley, in case they are mistaking it for Hemlock (poisonous). I find the easiest way to distinguish between the two is the stem. Have a look at this advice which describes the difference in the stems.

http://www.jackravenbushcraft.co.uk/hemlock-cow-parsley/

That looks like Cow Parsley to me. It's also in the Twig's Way book.

Some people are nervous about picking Cow Parsley, in case they are mistaking it for Hemlock (poisonous). I find the easiest way to distinguish between the two is the stem. Have a look at this advice which describes the difference in the stems.

http://www.jackravenbushcraft.co.uk/hemlock-cow-parsley/

Thanks Omi (again) I may just stick to dandelion leaves I’m not too good at this foraging :roll:

I have dock leaf bunting [emoji38]

DIZ8Yxpl.jpg
[/IMG]
Right. That does it! I'm coming to live with you! Dock leaf bunting? All my forage comes in packets! It's about time I upgraded my hooman slave.
Toby x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm really jelous of all your foraging skills :, (

Don't be. Learn ...we'll help you. Its really easy if you do it bit by bit. Some stuff is practically impossible to get wrong. Its a really good time to learn as you've got flowers & leaves to go on.

Your mission, set by King Joey, is to find some Hawthorn trees & post pics on here

Right. That does it! I'm coming to live with you! Dock leaf bunting? All my forage comes in packets! It's about time I upgraded my hooman slave.
Toby x

I'll swap ya - you can have mine, I'll try yours - Joe x

I'm really jelous of all your foraging skills :, (

Don't be. Learn ...we'll help you. Its really easy if you do it bit by bit. Some stuff is practically impossible to get wrong. Its a really good time to learn as you've got flowers & leaves to go on.

Your mission, set by King Joey, is to find some Hawthorn trees & post pics on here

Ok king joey, I will report back with my homework

I agree that the best tactic is to try and identify one plant at a time otherwise it's easy to get a bit overwhelmed by the sheer variety of wild plants and trying to work out what they are.

A couple of years ago I was a complete novice to foraging. I found the best way to build up my confidence was to start off with ones that I couldn't possibly mistake for anything else, such as goosegrass, dandelion and plantain and slowly built up from there.

Also don't forget fresh grass will be appreciated by a lot of buns. I've managed to stay one step ahead of the council lawn mowers and have been picking bagfuls of long stranded succulent looking fresh grass. Been going down a storm with my two!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found an awesome new spot to forage in.

Was wondering where I would go when I changed jobs but this place is perfect.

aa7gw8.jpg

Last edited:
Back