• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice please - won't eat pellets, otherwise fine

My old boy went through the ringer this year with various infections on top of an arthritis diagnosis. He spent a good chunk of time at the vets (where he was fed pellets, hay and veg), but came home absolutely refusing pellets. We tried all different kinds, all different flavours- nothing was going in! He's been checked over so thoroughly including xray and 2 or 3 blood tests that I can't think it's anything serious. At the risk of being completely shot down, we actually switched him to mix as we and the vets felt it was more important to keep him eating than to get too worried about mix vs pellets. Obviously I'd much prefer him to be on pellets, but at his age and after gawd knows how many bouts of stasis and hospitalisation for various issues, I'm happy with him eating anything he darned likes!

No shooting from me :wave:

I have heard of vets suggesting muesli for rabbits on occasions, and I'm with you, whatever he had eat is better than not eating. As the years go by it's sometimes harder to keep weight on a rabbit.

How old is your boy, Hannah?

No shooting from me :wave:

I have heard of vets suggesting muesli for rabbits on occasions, and I'm with you, whatever he had eat is better than not eating. As the years go by it's sometimes harder to keep weight on a rabbit.

How old is your boy, Hannah?

The vets are happy enough with him being on it, even though it's nobody's preference. He only has a small amount proportional to hay and veggies! Cuurent state of Harry? Check my latest thread entitled 'Squidgy poos'.... :shock: Would love your thoughts....

The vets are happy enough with him being on it, even though it's nobody's preference. He only has a small amount proportional to hay and veggies! Cuurent state of Harry? Check my latest thread entitled 'Squidgy poos'.... :shock: Would love your thoughts....

Just replied Hannah ;)

How old is Harry?

Just replied Hannah ;)

How old is Harry?

Thank you! Seen and replied in return. Harry will be 8 in August. He's a big boy though at 4.4kg and Trinity have commented before that his size may impact on life exectancy as organs will get tired sooner.

No shooting down here either :)

I'm going to order some different flavours to see if Tango can be tempted with something different. I'd been worried about reducing the fibre content as the SS adult pellets he's on are 25%, but as you say something is better than nothing! The Burgess adult ones are mint flavour so I think I'll see if he likes those, and their older bun ones are cranberry.

In theory, if he will eat something else that's equally crunchy and uses the same teeth/jaw motion then it would suggest his teeth aren't stopping him and it's something else?

In the meantime, he's still bright and happy, scoffing grass/hay, greens and dried treats like blackberry leaves, and eating his daily metacam on a strawberry leaf. Still won't touch pellets though, he doesn't even bother rushing into his house with Finx (his partner) at dinner time. He's booked in for a dental on Saturday if no positive change during the week.

Thank you! Seen and replied in return. Harry will be 8 in August. He's a big boy though at 4.4kg and Trinity have commented before that his size may impact on life exectancy as organs will get tired sooner.

Well you must've looked after him amazingly well for him to reach that grand old age :D

I know what it's like to have older buns. They are totally wonderful when they get old. My last bunny died at age 14 - I think she would've wanted to stay longer as well :D

I know this is a super old thread but what the original poster described is EXACTLY what my little bun is going through now. Did you ever conclude what the issue was? Did it resolve after the dental? Thank you!

I know this is a super old thread but what the original poster described is EXACTLY what my little bun is going through now. Did you ever conclude what the issue was? Did it resolve after the dental? Thank you!

I don’t think the OP visits this Forum any more so you might not receive a reply :)

Back