• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Grooming brush recommendations please

Clair071085

Warren Scout
Help everyone. I’m looking for grooming brushes/combs or devices please. I’m new to this so haven’t a clue lol. I know you get the basic ones in pet shops but they look sharp. Bellas had matts & I need to groom her & the new bunny of course. Also should you do a brush them on a daily basis? Bella struggles to clean under herself & round the back end so will need extra brushing & care so she doesn’t get matts or tugs down there. Both are not long haired breeds. Thank you for reading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a double sided metal dog comb for nearly all my furries (long haired - cats, guinea pigs, rabbits).

I use a flea comb, tangle teazer (human), zoom groom & toothbrush. I've still not found the ultimate rabbit brush & I've had house bunnies for nearly 30 years

When I had bunnies I found the best type was a slicker brush. It seemed the best at getting loose hair.

I use a double sided metal dog comb for nearly all my furries (long haired - cats, guinea pigs, rabbits).

Hi, thank you shimmer. I thought they would be to rough lol but glad they are ok. I didn’t have a clue to be honest xx

I use a flea comb, tangle teazer (human), zoom groom & toothbrush. I've still not found the ultimate rabbit brush & I've had house bunnies for nearly 30 years

Hi, sounds great [emoji846]. Would have never thought of a toothbrush but what a great wee tool to get into small bits. I will check out these. Are free combs are they like nit combs lol? Thank you xx

Does it hurt the rabbits getting out tugs & tangles like it would on a small child? Or is it different. That was my worry hurting them xx

Rabbit skin is very thin, so you have to be careful not to pull knots or mats too much. The best thing is to cut them as far down as you can see with sharp scissors or a seam unpicker (preferably away from the skin and up into the fur so you can't accidentally cut the skin), then tease them out gradually. You need to get down to skin level when grooming to stop mats forming. Brushes tend to only skim the surface, which is why I use a comb.

Rabbit skin is very thin, so you have to be careful not to pull knots or mats too much. The best thing is to cut them as far down as you can see with sharp scissors or a seam unpicker (preferably away from the skin and up into the fur so you can't accidentally cut the skin), then tease them out gradually. You need to get down to skin level when grooming to stop mats forming. Brushes tend to only skim the surface, which is why I use a comb.

Ok thank you so much for this. I have had to cut a couple very small ones before. I hadn’t realised you needed to do under belly etc but do now thankfully. I will definitely get a comb & do this. Bella can’t groom well on her behind & under & chest. This is due to a Dunlap I think it’s called. The big puffy but that looks like fat under chin. I only discovered what this was tonight while looking online. She has a very big one so it stops her being able to. It also came to me that I think this is possibly why she can’t eat the cecals. It’s such a shame for her so she needs extra help & care. I also read that apparently it develops more in unspayed females for nesting. This worried me because Bella came from people previously before we took her from my mother who got them from the people. They said both were spayed but no proof & this was years ago. I’m now worried what if she isn’t & it can cause diseases etc in female rabbits I read. I’m thinking the only way to find out if she is is an infrasound as I saw old posts on here while looking that that can show if she is. I feel this needs checking & I need to know. I honestly thought as she was really overweight when I got her that it would go as thought it was fat. It has gone down & she’s at a healthy weight but it’s still big. Poor thing had a sad life before I took her but not anymore thankfully. She’s the sweetest loving girl & had her at vets a few times since only getting her in may [emoji22]Xx

I also think it might be why she got matted on her chest as it can get wet I read & cause irritation. I feel terrible not knowing this but I do know & trying to learn as much as I can for her so I can groom & help her properly. I always used a bowl but may need to get a water bottle as it says it can help it not get so wet. Xx

Here’s a pic of her below where you can see the Dunlap under her chin. She is shaved a bit there from vets. She’s also been scrapping my curtain lol as she’s in the living room xx
16ac40d0d6049a6524947ae8db31683e.jpg

00b40465a5eb099e482611ccfbab9243.jpg

089c17f6f16a3148007d6b475905b33c.jpg

4eabe7fe7711b0deee82a6d8fa407f60.jpg

Awww, she's pretty :love:

I have a semi disabled bunny in my lounge who needs SO much grooming. Fortunately she loves it. There are very few areas she can clean for herself & she's been like this a long time now (she was too old & wonky to rebond after losing Rudey). The skin is so delicate. Mouses fur kind of clumps together & I tease the hairs gently apart with my fingers (it makes a sort of light raspy noise) in sections then go over with a comb - wider side first. I so agree with Shimmer getting to the base of the hair growth is so important. I used to groom Mouse loads but wasn't getting to skin level & whereas her coat looked ok the entwined hair at base level left her with little lumps all over. Just matted fur but it felt like cysts

I have a semi disabled bunny in my lounge who needs SO much grooming. Fortunately she loves it. There are very few areas she can clean for herself & she's been like this a long time now (she was too old & wonky to rebond after losing Rudey). The skin is so delicate. Mouses fur kind of clumps together & I tease the hairs gently apart with my fingers (it makes a sort of light raspy noise) in sections then go over with a comb - wider side first. I so agree with Shimmer getting to the base of the hair growth is so important. I used to groom Mouse loads but wasn't getting to skin level & whereas her coat looked ok the entwined hair at base level left her with little lumps all over. Just matted fur but it felt like cysts

Hi, thank you [emoji3590]. She’s the sweetest. That’s great to hear she loves her grooming & your taking care of her bless her. Belka liked getting brushed until I got to chest. That was because she had matting [emoji22]. That’s how I realised as would never have thought she would get matts. Learning do much lol. I know what you mean about the lumps. I’d never have known their skin was so delicate. Thank you for sharing these tips. Time for Bella to become accustomed to daily pampering lol. Well let’s hope she sees it that way. Xx

Bellas an older girl also xx

I just wanted to say that you should avoid furminators on rabbits due to their delicate skin. They can cause wounds :cry:

Does it hurt the rabbits getting out tugs & tangles like it would on a small child? Or is it different. That was my worry hurting them xx

Rabbit skin is very fragile and tears easily. So matts and tangles of fur need to be carefully trimmed out, not brushed/ combed out.

Back