• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New concerned parents attempting bonding......

Mark1

Young Bun
Hi there, new parents first post!

About 6 weeks ago we inherited a 6 year old male that has wry neck, he's fine on the ground, can get around and eat / drink no problem. It only causes issue with balance and tail spin when you pick him up so we minimise handling. He is naturally a quiet reserved bunny. We have now rescued a 4 year old female English Spot to keep him company. She is very playful and may be a bit boisterous. They are in pens next to each other and were able to smell each other for a few days, we then inserted a kissing gate where they rubbed noses and made all the right signs.

We have now started putting them together for a couple of hours a day in a neutral space, they are very docile together and no fighting, so docile we can even have to lay them next to each other.

My concern, probably just over protective, she pulls large chunks of fur from him, mainly his rump. No blood, no fighting, just looks very dramatic and because of his condition it can put him off balance. Are we being over protective new parents and should we just let her / them get on with it and build up longer sessions aor because of his condition are we going to have difficulty with this bond?

Thanks Mark

Hi there, new parents first post!

About 6 weeks ago we inherited a 6 year old male that has wry neck, he's fine on the ground, can get around and eat / drink no problem. It only causes issue with balance and tail spin when you pick him up so we minimise handling. He is naturally a quiet reserved bunny. We have now rescued a 4 year old female English Spot to keep him company. She is very playful and may be a bit boisterous. They are in pens next to each other and were able to smell each other for a few days, we then inserted a kissing gate where they rubbed noses and made all the right signs.

We have now started putting them together for a couple of hours a day in a neutral space, they are very docile together and no fighting, so docile we can even have to lay them next to each other.

My concern, probably just over protective, she pulls large chunks of fur from him, mainly his rump. No blood, no fighting, just looks very dramatic and because of his condition it can put him off balance. Are we being over protective new parents and should we just let her / them get on with it and build up longer sessions aor because of his condition are we going to have difficulty with this bond?

Thanks Mark

Welcome to the Forum Mark :wave:

I think when one of the rabbits is not in the peak of health, but the other one is, I wouldn't just leave them to it. I would monitor very carefully as there can be several reactions that a healthy rabbit may have to one that has a weakness.

You probably know this info already, but in case there's something here that might help you, I thought I'd post these links:

http://rabbit.org/the-most-important-word-in-bonding-is-patience/

http://rabbit.org/introducing-rabbits-in-a-group-situation/

http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/information/bonding-bunnies/ (good for pair bonding)

http://www.fatfluffs.com/info/bonding/

http://www.actionforrabbits.co.uk/bonding.html

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...How-I-do-rabbit-bonding&p=6934868#post6934868

Book in RWAF shop:

https://shop.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/product/bonding-rabbits-by-fiona-campbell/

Mischief and Tinker’s Mum
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?462466-How-I-bonded-my-trios-videos!

All read thoroughly, so I believe the non-wounding fur pulling to be normal, even though it looks aggressive to us? Should we let this go on for seconds / minutes or perhaps use the water bottle method to discourage it?

We may try the fruit juice on the head method to encourage grooming, as other than the fur pulling they pretty much ignore each other even when laid side by side.

All read thoroughly, so I believe the non-wounding fur pulling to be normal, even though it looks aggressive to us? Should we let this go on for seconds / minutes or perhaps use the water bottle method to discourage it?

We may try the fruit juice on the head method to encourage grooming, as other than the fur pulling they pretty much ignore each other even when laid side by side.
It looks horrible to us but yes. It's a completely normal part of the bonding process.
I normally let it happen for a few moments, they normally stop at their own accord after a few plucks. If she doesn't stop and he's becoming stressed just slightly move her away from him. (Wearing thick gauntlet type gloves or using a towel).

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

It looks horrible to us but yes. It's a completely normal part of the bonding process.
I normally let it happen for a few moments, they normally stop at their own accord after a few plucks. If she doesn't stop and he's becoming stressed just slightly move her away from him. (Wearing thick gauntlet type gloves or using a towel).

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

They are usually good at stopping, unless it escalates into a fight (rare). But our pair were fur pulling for two-three weeks after they first met, with it becoming more intermittent, even once they were fairly good friends. Another option rather than getting involved might be to distract them slightly - e.g. an unexpected noise (close the door slightly more forcefully, drop something, perhaps have a noise up on your phone) that makes them both stop to go "What was that?" Fur pulling certainly isn't anything to be worried about on its own :)

With grooming, by all means give it a go, but beware it may not work! I tried putting jam on foreheads a couple of times, and all it got me was jam all over me and some dirty looks :D My two have been together a while now (six weeks?) and still won't groom each other, so that may not happen. There are other positive signs to look for, though. Lying side by side is good, as is sharing food or, when the time comes, toys. Just ignoring each other can sometimes be a good sign too! I got really discouraged by the lack of grooming at first, but it just isn't "them", so try not to get too hung up or feel bad if it doesn't happen :D

Good luck!

I have never used 'stuff on the head' for bonding/grooming!

Fur pulling is perfectly normal during a bonding process but as I said before, I would be concerned if one rabbit is being 'picked on' and can't run away or defend themselves.

I have bonded severely disabled, deaf, blind rabbits before .. but personality is very important. It's especially important if one or both of the rabbits are 'vulnerable'

Looks like we're just going to be more nervous than the bunnies during this process- thank you for your guidance and reassurance.

Looks like we're just going to be more nervous than the bunnies during this process- thank you for your guidance and reassurance.

That's often the way!

I have nerves of steel and a zen disposition when I bond rabbits, but I've done hundreds without failures :)

Quite often a healthy rabbit will bully a sick/weak rabbit so you must take this into account as you don't want your head-tilt bunny being bullied as he has enough to cope with. Hopefully this fur pulling stage will quickly pass.

Quite often a healthy rabbit will bully a sick/weak rabbit so you must take this into account as you don't want your head-tilt bunny being bullied as he has enough to cope with. Hopefully this fur pulling stage will quickly pass.

Hope so too.

I often do telephone consults :D

Noted, thanks.

So we've been having them together for a few hours a day in a small pen while I finish the new shed. All good, even been leaving them alone for short periods, they do lay together, sniff and a small amount of grooming, mainly, they just ignore each other. Today, we introduced them to their new home ground floor, measures 6ft x 7ft, been in there an hour or so and all normal so left them to it. Returned a about 15 mins later to find that the English spot had pulled a fair amount of fur from the other ones rump and they we're sat apart, no blood or bites that we could find but it must have been a bit mad as they were both wet and the water bowl overturned.

All was going so well, why this in the new bunny hotel?

So we've been having them together for a few hours a day in a small pen while I finish the new shed. All good, even been leaving them alone for short periods, they do lay together, sniff and a small amount of grooming, mainly, they just ignore each other. Today, we introduced them to their new home ground floor, measures 6ft x 7ft, been in there an hour or so and all normal so left them to it. Returned a about 15 mins later to find that the English spot had pulled a fair amount of fur from the other ones rump and they we're sat apart, no blood or bites that we could find but it must have been a bit mad as they were both wet and the water bowl overturned.

All was going so well, why this in the new bunny hotel?

Its new territory which can make one bunny feel the need to reassert dominance - its quite normal. I expect they'll settle. Keep a close eye on them though x

Nerve-wracking stuff this bunny bonding - for the parents I mean.

Thank you, can't wait to post once they are finally together and bonded.

Last edited:
Have not left them alone over night, have been gradually leaving them alone for longer periods during the day.

Could you elaborate why you would be worried?

Back