• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

eating hay

All I have seen my rabbit eat today was hay. Not sure she may have gotten a small bit of greens left over from last night. I can't get her to eat anything now. She will not eat her pellets or greens I've given to her. She peed on herself. Is it ok that all she has eaten is hay?

It is ok that your rabbit only ate hay, but it is any change in eating habits that is a worry.
Rabbits try and hide any pain or illness, it is the minor changes that tell us something is wrong.
Is she still eating hay? Will she eat grass? Is it she still pooing?
Hopefully someone will be along with more knowledgeable soon

Richard

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Hi Emily :wave:

As Motty has advised, any change in eating habits is a sign that something is not quite right with a rabbit. Looking at her output is also important to determine whether her poo looks normal, as a gut slowdown would be indicated if her poos had become fewer in number, smaller and darker.

Similarly if she has peed on herself and that is not her normal behaviour, this is a further indication that all is not well.

If I were you, I would get her examined by your vet asap.

It might be that she has a UTI which could put her off her usual food. Or is she feeling broody now it is Spring, this sometimes puts them off certain foods but not necessarily weeing on themselves.

All I have seen my rabbit eat today was hay. Not sure she may have gotten a small bit of greens left over from last night. I can't get her to eat anything now. She will not eat her pellets or greens I've given to her. She peed on herself. Is it ok that all she has eaten is hay?
dear emiy bassett,-not to fret,there is a lot to know about the bunny,s diet.-medical problems can be avoided with the correct diet.--grasses[-timothy,orchard]-make up 70%of a bunny,s diet-they are strickly herbivoures-requiring non digestible fibers,-there teeth constantly grow,[chewing is a must]-the gi tract must never stop[stasis]-there are two types of items from the bum-the round poop and cecotropes-which look like a very small cluster of grapes.--besides grasses they need-a quality pellet for vitamins and food,[digestible fibers]-and-lots of water,then the treats-there are good treats dandylions are very good,and yes they can eat the entire plant/root and all-[just wash off all greens first.]--there are websites which will give you heads up on good-[safe] vegys/weeds/tree branches/twigs--and always check out and be aware of the bad-[poisonous]- vegy,s/weeds/branches/twigs.-- http://medirabbit.com sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa:love::wave:

Last edited:
Bunnies hide their pain or illness, so it is good you are monitoring her eating, drinking,pee,and poo habits to catch problems when you and your vet can still address the issue.
Did your bunny eat anything new? Can you feel or hear gas?
Do not wait too long before contacting vet if bun does not improve soon.
Please read some of the information on RU .

Bunnies hide their pain or illness, so it is good you are monitoring her eating, drinking,pee,and poo habits to catch problems when you and your vet can still address the issue.
Did your bunny eat anything new? Can you feel or hear gas?
Do not wait too long before contacting vet if bun does not improve soon.
Please read some of the information on RU .
dear bunny momma,-yes,unfortunately prey animals[lagamorphs]- do hide their pain very well-,i always kept my bunz indoor -for early diagnosis-medical problems,your advice is very good.--rabbits also grind their teeth,and -based on the severeity of the pain-,and you never want to hear a rabbit scream,.-sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa:love::wave:-

Last edited:
Back