• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sick of tarp!

LittleEskimo

Mama Doe
What do you use to keep the rain out? I currently use an old holey piece of tarp that always blows around. I have no decent way of attaching it to the hutch apart from lots of heavy things...and it always just looks really messy and horrible.

Any ideas of what I could use instead?

So like shutters over the mesh...I would be worried about it getting a bit too hot D:

Personally I'm not bothered about that because whenever the sun is on it/it's really hot, then it's removed. It's only on when its really windy to stop the wind blowing the hay all over the patio and when its raining so it doesnt get soaked. Wasn't it only to stop the rain going in anyways though? So it wouldn't get hot because it'd only be on if it's raining? or am i getting confused?

Personally I'm not bothered about that because whenever the sun is on it/it's really hot, then it's removed. It's only on when its really windy to stop the wind blowing the hay all over the patio and when its raining so it doesnt get soaked. Wasn't it only to stop the rain going in anyways though? So it wouldn't get hot because it'd only be on if it's raining? or am i getting confused?

I am just thinking about if it is raining/windy during the night and then the next day it is quite sunny. Nevermind I get what you mean though lol :thumb:

All my runs have Perspex roofs when it's sunny I just put white sheets over the roof but they usually lay in their house by the door when it's warm :)

I am just thinking about if it is raining/windy during the night and then the next day it is quite sunny. Nevermind I get what you mean though lol :thumb:

Mine literally has 2 little strips of wood at the top and bottom then a little latch to swing down and keep it on, that way if it suddenly starts to rain and its off I can nip out and put it on - it only takes like a minute - or vice versa :thumb:

I've been wondering about that corrugated perspex stuff, but wondered if it would get a bit like a greenhouse in the sun?
Am I being silly?? :wave:

I've been wondering about that corrugated perspex stuff, but wondered if it would get a bit like a greenhouse in the sun?

I think it could, hence why I have bolts creating a shutter type thing, i think it could get rather hot though in the summer sun if it's on the whole time! the cattery my cats go to have perspex that they remove, it gets baking in the sun!

I just use this clear plastic stuff. It's like tarpaulin, only thicker and doesn't tear so easily. What's good is that it doesn't get too hot in the sun either. Our local pet shop and the hardware shop do it in rolls. It's £1 a metre and is folded in half so you actually get double for what you pay! :thumb:

If you only put it on the roof then no, it won't trap the air which will be constantly circulating underneath.

my lot have abit of everything! tarp, shower curtains, picnic rug, towels, bin bags!

At least someone else has this too! :lol: I only have the proper covers for one hutch! The rest are just covered in pieces of wood and garden waste sacks! I even put the remains of the christmas tree on the run to keep all the bits and pieces from blowing away :thumb:

I got sick of tarp too!

I now have a combination of shutters & corrugated plastic. My set up is in the shade all day and so I don't remove the plastic on the run lid. I made the shutters for the the winter really but I'm still using some at night & they're good for blocking out driving rain :thumb:

These pics might help
Without
BouncersnewhutchMay2011002.jpg

With!
Hutchshutters002.jpg

Septembergirls171211004.jpg

Fluffers I really like your hutch and it is exactly what i am looking for as my hutch is starting to show a lot of wear now. Please can you tell me where you got it from? it is such a pretty colour too!

I got sick of tarp too!

I now have a combination of shutters & corrugated plastic. My set up is in the shade all day and so I don't remove the plastic on the run lid. I made the shutters for the the winter really but I'm still using some at night & they're good for blocking out driving rain :thumb:

These pics might help
Without
BouncersnewhutchMay2011002.jpg

With!
Hutchshutters002.jpg

Septembergirls171211004.jpg

Where do you put your waterbottles? Do you attach them inside? Would love to do something like this. Just need to get some thick ply lol. Would somewhere like B&Q chop it down for you so you don't have to buy one huge sheet

Where do you put your waterbottles? Do you attach them inside? Would love to do something like this. Just need to get some thick ply lol. Would somewhere like B&Q chop it down for you so you don't have to buy one huge sheet

Hi :wave:

I don't use bottles, I use bowls :D It's a more natural way for them to drink, most prefer it and bowls are easier to clean :thumb:

I got the ply from a local timber merchant and they cut it to size for me :thumb:

Back