• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lavender - when is it too much?

Monty's Human

Alpha Buck
Long story short, we've been unavoidably getting flies in the flat, and having tried and failed to grow some herbs, I have re-potted herbs from outside in the hope they'll survive and this afternoon put them round/on the hutch. I was expecting Monty to gorge on the sage as he loves it, so I kept those to a minimum, but I had to re-pot an entire lavender bush (only two herbs we have). I know it's safe for bunnies or I wouldn't have brought it in, but contrary to all expectations, Monty so far is ignoring the sage and repeatedly going for the lavender, which he usually turns his nose up at. Should I trust he won'the eat more than is good for him or should I move it out of reach, but to where it would be less effective at keeping the flies away?

(Please excuse typos. Been ill all afternoon so I can't face a computer but my phone's autocorrect is really weird and constantly adds bits to the ends of words).

Has he had it before or is it a new food for him? If it's new, I wouldn't let him have too much at first. I don't usually give it more than a day or too though with new food, before feeding it liberally, as long as there are no issues.

If it's not new, then I would let him nibble as much as he wants (within reason obviously!). Lavender goes down very well here and they will eat quite a lot at a time.

Perhaps it's one of those plants that taste different to rabbits at different times of the year, or perhaps Monty's only just discovered it's quite yummy after all :)

I hope you feel better soon.

Long story short, we've been unavoidably getting flies in the flat, and having tried and failed to grow some herbs, I have re-potted herbs from outside in the hope they'll survive and this afternoon put them round/on the hutch. I was expecting Monty to gorge on the sage as he loves it, so I kept those to a minimum, but I had to re-pot an entire lavender bush (only two herbs we have). I know it's safe for bunnies or I wouldn't have brought it in, but contrary to all expectations, Monty so far is ignoring the sage and repeatedly going for the lavender, which he usually turns his nose up at. Should I trust he won'the eat more than is good for him or should I move it out of reach, but to where it would be less effective at keeping the flies away?

(Please excuse typos. Been ill all afternoon so I can't face a computer but my phone's autocorrect is really weird and constantly adds bits to the ends of words).

Bunnies usually choose what's best for them *except* where there is no choice and there's a food item sitting in front of them. I've known bunnies to gorge from boredom on something that's not good for them. Given a broad choice I don't think there's a problem. With limited choice I would be more circumspect and move it out of reach now.

More to the point - I'm sorry you've been poorly!!
I have your PM and we will get to grips with it when I've cleared out the dreaded Inbox :D

Thanks both! I just had a migraine, which happens two or three times a week, so nothing to panic about :)

It's fairly but not entirely new. I only remembered I had it about a week ago when it came to cutting and drying the flowers, but since then I've been giving him small amounts of the leaves/flowers with his sage to see if he liked it. Usually he leaves well alone until there's nothing else, but he's eaten it and no visible problems. I couldn't say 100% he's safe with it yet, but I'm confident he is (if that makes sense). I'm used to hamsters, where they'll pouch anything and everything and you have to be really careful, but if he's more trustworthy I think for now I'll leave it be and keep an eye on it. It's next to his litter tray and his lovely hay, so he won't ever have only that to gorge on, and once he got his nightly pellets and veg he started to ignore it anyway. Thank you! :D

Just to add, they can also have the stems, if you're going to be pruning it at any time :)

Thanks both! I just had a migraine, which happens two or three times a week, so nothing to panic about :)

It's fairly but not entirely new. I only remembered I had it about a week ago when it came to cutting and drying the flowers, but since then I've been giving him small amounts of the leaves/flowers with his sage to see if he liked it. Usually he leaves well alone until there's nothing else, but he's eaten it and no visible problems. I couldn't say 100% he's safe with it yet, but I'm confident he is (if that makes sense). I'm used to hamsters, where they'll pouch anything and everything and you have to be really careful, but if he's more trustworthy I think for now I'll leave it be and keep an eye on it. It's next to his litter tray and his lovely hay, so he won't ever have only that to gorge on, and once he got his nightly pellets and veg he started to ignore it anyway. Thank you! :D

If he's going for sage and lavender, he certainly likes the strong flavours! Perhaps he would enjoy thyme as well ;)

I hope you feel better xx

Back