• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gutted for Xena. Finally some good news for my strong girl. :)

We've managed all sorts of long term and reoccurring ear infections at the rescue. Thankfully both the bunnies who suffered recently we managed to find off licence antibiotics or ear drops following swabs that curded them after months, has a swab been taken?

No, not yet but I did overhear the vet mention it so may well be an option. She's going back after this lot of abx has been given for a follow up. She is absolutely fine in herself, which I'm surprised about because she looks a bit of a mess.

Xena went for her checkup today. It's not good news. Her ears are no better.
My vet cleaned her ears out and said that she would open up her ear canals. I told her no. I don't want to out her through surgery when she's only got about 6 months left. :,( My vet agreed and said it would be very risky anyway with her existing problems.
She's given me some canaural for now and I'm to keep an eye on her. I asked about doing a swab but my vet didn't seem to think it would make much difference, however, she said we could do one if I wanted but we'd have to wait 7 days because of the abx.
After 7 days I'm going to make an appointment with the rabbit vet and see what she says. I don't really think there is much else we can do. The abx were the strongest and have done literally nothing to clear her ears up. They are still squelchy and the vet got quite a bit of yuk out of her ears.
I just feel so gutted and sad. Nit really sure where we go from here. :(

My vet cleaned her ears out and said that she would open up her ear canals. I told her no. I don't want to out her through surgery when she's only got about 6 months left. :,( My vet agreed and said it would be very risky anyway with her existing problems.
She's given me some canaural for now and I'm to keep an eye on her. I asked about doing a swab but my vet didn't seem to think it would make much difference, however, she said we could do one if I wanted but we'd have to wait 7 days because of the abx.
After 7 days I'm going to make an appointment with the rabbit vet and see what she says. I don't really think there is much else we can do. The abx were the strongest and have done literally nothing to clear her ears up. They are still squelchy and the vet got quite a bit of yuk out of her ears.

I am sorry that there has been no improvement. Did the Vet clean out the pus again yesterday ?

I certainly agree with you re not wanting to put Xena through surgery. The procedure is brutal, even for an otherwise 'well' Rabbit.

I am sorry that there has been no improvement. Did the Vet clean out the pus again yesterday ?

I certainly agree with you re not wanting to put Xena through surgery. The procedure is brutal, even for an otherwise 'well' Rabbit.

Yes she cleaned her ears out and gave me some ear drops as a last ditch attempt. What would you do in this situation? She's ok in herself but has been scratching her ears and damaging them a bit, so they're definitely bothering her. Vet doesn't think she's in pain but deffo in some discomfort. I'm gutted. :(

So sorry to her this :(

Yes she cleaned her ears out and gave me some ear drops as a last ditch attempt. What would you do in this situation? She's ok in herself but has been scratching her ears and damaging them a bit, so they're definitely bothering her. Vet doesn't think she's in pain but deffo in some discomfort. I'm gutted. :(

The Canaural contains a steroid aswell as abx so it should act quickly to reduce the inflammation/irritation. She may not like having the drops put in, but if you massage the ear base well after applying it, it can help. I'd have a look into each ear after you have applied the drops as sometimes it brings a huge amount of gunk out. You'd need to gently wipe it away with a bit of cotton wool.

The Canaural contains a steroid aswell as abx so it should act quickly to reduce the inflammation/irritation. She may not like having the drops put in, but if you massage the ear base well after applying it, it can help. I'd have a look into each ear after you have applied the drops as sometimes it brings a huge amount of gunk out. You'd need to gently wipe it away with a bit of cotton wool.

Would I need a scope to do this? I just checked on her and she does look a mess. Her ears are really squelching so I think the drops have softened the wax and pus up. I massaged her ears but she pulled away, shaking her head and ears and flicking her feet at me. She's still very enthusiastic about her food but she was sat hunched up in the corner before she noticed me. :(

Sending the hugest of hugs and lots of vibes. You are doing the best you can for her, as always xx

Would I need a scope to do this? I just checked on her and she does look a mess. Her ears are really squelching so I think the drops have softened the wax and pus up. I massaged her ears but she pulled away, shaking her head and ears and flicking her feet at me. She's still very enthusiastic about her food but she was sat hunched up in the corner before she noticed me. :(

An otoscope is a very useful tool, but it is important to exercise extreme caution when inserting anything into the ear canals, especially when there is already active infection. The head shaking will dislodge some of the gunk and it can actually fly out of the ears !! The canaural is very oily, so if a lot gets on the fur then the Rabbit will look very bedraggled. It can also cause the 'squelchy' sound from the ears. Trying to strike a balance between applying enough canaural/dose to be therapeutic, but not too much so that loads leaks back out can be tricky. We want to minimise the amount of canaural the Rabbit may ingest when they groom themselves.

Personally I'd want the Vet to take another look at Xena's ears in the next couple of days. Keeping on top of the pus/gunk build up is important and at one stage I was having to flush Morse's ear canals out daily. Otherwise the canaural would just sit on top of a huge plug of thick pus.

My Vet did show me how to use an otoscope safely and how to clean out as much pus/gunk as possible. But if any 'deep cleaning' was needed I left it to my Vet, sometimes Morse needed to have it done under sedation.

Yes, my vet got me an otoscope for this very purpose :)

She also showed me how to use it safely, so if you've access to some help I would go for it.

You're doing brilliantly with her x

Thank you all. Regarding the canaural, I'm putting a drop in each ear twice a day. Fortunately, she's not very good at cleaning herself (probably the reason she has got ear infections) so I'm not too worried about her ingesting it. I'm keeping an eye on her and she seems to be sitting in the corner a lot. :( I gave her a fibafirst stick and left her hopping about to find the perfect place to eat it. She soon perked up when food was involved. I'll see how she is after a few days on the canaural and pop ber back to the vets if she isn't improving at all. One if my friends on Facebook said that her bun with ear infections didn't respond to penicillin but responded to baytril, funnily enough. I think I'll get swabs done. I'll have a chat with the vet. I really don't want to have to make a decision about her quality of life yet. :(

Thank you all. Regarding the canaural, I'm putting a drop in each ear twice a day. Fortunately, she's not very good at cleaning herself (probably the reason she has got ear infections) so I'm not too worried about her ingesting it. I'm keeping an eye on her and she seems to be sitting in the corner a lot. :( I gave her a fibafirst stick and left her hopping about to find the perfect place to eat it. She soon perked up when food was involved. I'll see how she is after a few days on the canaural and pop ber back to the vets if she isn't improving at all. One if my friends on Facebook said that her bun with ear infections didn't respond to penicillin but responded to baytril, funnily enough. I think I'll get swabs done. I'll have a chat with the vet. I really don't want to have to make a decision about her quality of life yet. :(

From what you have said about her thus far I dont think you are anywhere near that stage yet. TBH I would probably not have swabs done now, not after her having Canaural. You could ask the Vet about trying her on Baytril whilst continuing the Canaural. As I have mentioned, keeping on top of any pus build up is as important as the abx treatment.

Yes, oddly, although I would've normally expected the penicillin to work best, I have also heard of a few cases that have responded to Baytril, so I can honestly say I don't dismiss it out of hand now :)

I agree with you about the swabs, that's what I would do, if your vet recommends them. My vet has in the past :)

Good luck with Xena x

Woke up today with a migraine. Slept it off but when I got up, Shadowfax wasn't eating. I don't know if I can deal with all this. :( Given her some pain relief but I bet I'll have to take her to the vets...not that I can really afford it.

Woke up today with a migraine. Slept it off but when I got up, Shadowfax wasn't eating. I don't know if I can deal with all this. :( Given her some pain relief but I bet I'll have to take her to the vets...not that I can really afford it.

Oh no :cry: Sending vibes for SF and for you xx

You don't need this :(

Vibes for you all today xx

Thanks. She's eating again now. I think I caught it early and the pain relief kicked in. Keeping an eye on her because she is a dental bun and I was panicking that she needed a dental. She's gone over a year..maybe more without needing one so it's likely she's due. Fiver is at the vets tomorrow for his acupuncture so might get the vet to check her teeth.
Xena looks a bit brighter. I'm wondering if the canaural is helping. I've been checking her ears and can't see any gunk but I don't have a scope. I'll pop her to the vets next week, I think, to have the rabbit vet have a look and ask about baytril. I need some more zantac for her anyway.
Struggling to afford all this atm. My money I'm making from dog walking is literally being passed straight to my vets!

Thanks. She's eating again now. I think I caught it early and the pain relief kicked in. Keeping an eye on her because she is a dental bun and I was panicking that she needed a dental. She's gone over a year..maybe more without needing one so it's likely she's due. Fiver is at the vets tomorrow for his acupuncture so might get the vet to check her teeth.
Xena looks a bit brighter. I'm wondering if the canaural is helping. I've been checking her ears and can't see any gunk but I don't have a scope. I'll pop her to the vets next week, I think, to have the rabbit vet have a look and ask about baytril. I need some more zantac for her anyway.
Struggling to afford all this atm. My money I'm making from dog walking is literally being passed straight to my vets!

I am glad that SF is doing better now and I hope she wont need another Dental. The Canaural may well be helping calm the inflammation in Xena's ears . Hopefully it will be getting on top of the infection too.

What with all this and Fiver's Acupuncture too I can understand how your Finances are being drained :cry:

Well done you for being on the ball :)

I'm sorry these buns are draining you dry. It's really difficult ...

Back