• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Whisper and Dusty. Just had operations!

Morning everyone. Sorry I've not been on for a while but we have swapped computers.

So... Dusty and Whisper!

When we first got them Dusty was cheeky mischievous and curious. Whisper was very timid and shy. Now it seems its reversed. Dusty will only come out very gradually where as Whisper is behind the sofa, looking up the stairs.... you really have to see where she is, as she's still only small!

We separated them a while ago, as Dusty was trying things with Whisper and it looked like Whisper was getting annoyed and nipping at his legs. My dad built a divide in their run so they can still see/smell/hear each other. But when we came back Dusty was in Whispers side! So we put him back and went to school.... came back and they were together. My dad bought a pet camera and set it up.... we watched it and laughed as Dusty scaled the divide in a crazy scrabble to get with Whisper. We now have a complete lid that goes over his side, which works.

So onto litter training.... Whisper is amazing and does 1&2's in her tray 99% of the time, the odd occasional poo pops out but she's very good. Dusty on the other hand is good with 1's but poo's everywhere! and soon much!!! How can a rabbit produce so much. We took it in turns to clean up before school but in the end my dad bought a small vacuum so we just suck them all up now! he he.

Something my mum and dad is curious about that i kind of understand, but would Dusty (the male rabbit) leave scent marks? small patches off wee? for Whisper to smell? He seems to wee in his tray, but all along the divide there are small stains, smaller than his wee's but there are quite a lot and look stronger in colour. Is this him weeing again or scent leaving like a dog does on a tree?

Overall they are settling in well and causing trouble with my dads OCD.... there is hay/straw everywhere, even in my bed! He has adapted/changed/fixed/made to try sort it, but its impossible.

They were born on October 26th so we are having both done on April 26th. We will keep them next to each other, make the runs smaller, but do you think I should take the stairs out as this is where Whisper goes to sleep. Will this hurt her stitches as she sometimes jumps up, or will this disturb her pattern and scare her.

Many thanks, Milla.

What very lucky bunnies you have to have such lovely caring owners !!!

And yes - some male bunnies will 'spray' and mark their territory with wee. Cats do this as well. Once he has been seen by the vets in April he will stop doing this - but it will take a few weeks though. And he will become better at using his litter box too. Boys can have their operation before girls though - Dusty is 4 months old now and he may be ready now or within the next 4 weeks. Maybe you can take him to your vets to check. The earlier you have his operation done - the quicker he will stop leaving the wee wee marks. It's better to get the bunnies operations done as soon as they are ready.

Your poor Dad - bunnies are just messy animals I've afraid - all of us bunny owners laugh about how hay ends up EVERYWHERE!

It may be better to remove the stairs for Whisper - she could hurt her stitches. You can probably remove the stairs before April so she gets used to not having them before her operation.

Your rabbits are very lovely - and they have a wonderful home which is so good to see.xxx

Milla I am amazed at the wonderful things you and your Dad (and family?) have done for your rabbits. They don't realise how lucky they are to have come to live with you :love:

You seem to be doing everything right, and hopefully they will begin to be litter trained once they are neutered. It may take a bit of time after they are neutered for all the hormones to settle down, possibly even two/three months, but you will get there.

They are lucky buns to be so well loved :love:

Thank you everyone. Yes my mum does a lot also, mainly the fresh veg and helping me research. My dad is more of a builder make things. He works at the fire station so has more days off than my mum as he sometimes works nights so he will do the medicine . I have my brother also, but he's only 7 so likes to play more than look after.

Whisper is still in her hutch and we gave her it at 9am. Hers is the right side of the runs, that goes in the hutch and up the stairs. My dad separated the bottom in the middle with clear plastic so they can see each other but Dusty can't go from his left side through to Whispers side. When they are better and the weather is a bit warmer, my dad is putting a hole and cat flap in the wall and a tube so the rabbits can go into the garden when they want. It will have a secure pen with wire sides and roof.

So my question..... get Dusty done now ( 4 months ) and get Whisper done at 6 months, or get both done together to help recovery and to keep them happy.

Many thanks Milla.

Thank you everyone. Yes my mum does a lot also, mainly the fresh veg and helping me research. My dad is more of a builder make things. He works at the fire station so has more days off than my mum as he sometimes works nights so he will do the medicine . I have my brother also, but he's only 7 so likes to play more than look after.

Whisper is still in her hutch and we gave her it at 9am. Hers is the right side of the runs, that goes in the hutch and up the stairs. My dad separated the bottom in the middle with clear plastic so they can see each other but Dusty can't go from his left side through to Whispers side. When they are better and the weather is a bit warmer, my dad is putting a hole and cat flap in the wall and a tube so the rabbits can go into the garden when they want. It will have a secure pen with wire sides and roof.

So my question..... get Dusty done now ( 4 months ) and get Whisper done at 6 months, or get both done together to help recovery and to keep them happy.

Many thanks Milla.

As Dusty is currently on antibiotics too then it is probably not a good idea to get him neutered just yet. I am sure that your Vet will advise you as to when it will be OK to have him done. Hopefully it wont be too long to wait. Having Whisper done at 6 months sounds like a good plan as long as she is 100% well by then :)

You and your Family are providing a wonderful home for Dusty and Whisper. If only all Bunnies were as lucky as your two. Your Dad sounds to be a real treasure with both his building skills and his Bunny medicating skills !!

This is such a lovely thread to read!
Dusty and Whisper are gorgeous rabbits and you are doing such a great job with them. They will have a wonderful life with you!
Xx

Keeping them separate makes them both so sad, so we try and put them together as much as possible, but this needs me to watch Dusty all the time as he can't be trusted!

A few pics of them eating some greens and relaxing with each other.

They still hate their medication though.

I agree, happy in a relaxed way. Binkies are more of a happy excitable thing- do Whisper & Dusty binky?

I agree, happy in a relaxed way. Binkies are more of a happy excitable thing- do Whisper & Dusty binky?

Yes, Whisper jumps up when having a crazy 5 mins, where Dusty goes crazy, running up and down, bouncing off the walls.... but they've not done it since their medication really. Whisper always stays in her hutch and only comes out when Kale is there.

We are only a small way through the treatment.

makes me sad.

I get sad when my rabbits are sick too. I hope Dusty & Whisper get on well with their treatment & are running round like crazy really soon

Hello everyone. Thank you for asking, i'm sorry I haven't been on recently. Whisper has had all her medication, and hated it soon much. Dusty also hated it. My mum and dad are covered in scratches and our tea towels have been nibbled lots.
We are concerned over Whisper as she is not better and maybe worse. We have an emergency appointment at the vets at 6.30 tonight.

I have tried to take pics. She is happy and still kissing me and is still eating loads, including Dustys food when she can.

We have to put a lid on the run now as Dusty scrabbles over to get into Whisper (only when we have to go out)

This is Whispers nose.... Dusty's looks ok.

We shall see what the vet says.

Hello everyone. Thank you for asking, i'm sorry I haven't been on recently. Whisper has had all her medication, and hated it soon much. Dusty also hated it. My mum and dad are covered in scratches and our tea towels have been nibbled lots.
We are concerned over Whisper as she is not better and maybe worse. We have an emergency appointment at the vets at 6.30 tonight.

I have tried to take pics. She is happy and still kissing me and is still eating loads, including Dustys food when she can.

We have to put a lid on the run now as Dusty scrabbles over to get into Whisper (only when we have to go out)

This is Whispers nose.... Dusty's looks ok.

We shall see what the vet says.

Oh Milla, I'm sorry to hear about Whisper :(

Good luck at the vet's tonight. Please report back on what they say? x

Hi there, sorry its taken a while, I don't use the computer much.

The vet said that Whisper has snuffles and it looks like Dusty has also, but not as bad. The vet changed the medication from last time, and now my dad has to give 0.25 of something twice a day.

They are both booked in for their operations a week on Monday, so i'm really nervous for Whisper. The Vet said she wanted Whisper as healthy as possible before the operation so she has full strength.

She also said that it's very likely that Whisper and Dusty got it from her mum, from the breeders place, and that Whisper will most probably always have it now. I'm so cross with the lady we got her from but I love Whisper to bits and wouldn't change her at all.

She is becoming quite cheeky now, and if your in her way, she will push you with her head and then give whats in the way a quick nibble to say "move it!"....

They are still in high spirits and love the free space we try give them.

Dusty is spraying everywhere, rubbing his chin all over Whispers things and generally being a pain.

Thank you everyone, Milla.

Hi there, sorry its taken a while, I don't use the computer much.

The vet said that Whisper has snuffles and it looks like Dusty has also, but not as bad. The vet changed the medication from last time, and now my dad has to give 0.25 of something twice a day.

They are both booked in for their operations a week on Monday, so i'm really nervous for Whisper. The Vet said she wanted Whisper as healthy as possible before the operation so she has full strength.

She also said that it's very likely that Whisper and Dusty got it from her mum, from the breeders place, and that Whisper will most probably always have it now. I'm so cross with the lady we got her from but I love Whisper to bits and wouldn't change her at all.

She is becoming quite cheeky now, and if your in her way, she will push you with her head and then give whats in the way a quick nibble to say "move it!"....

They are still in high spirits and love the free space we try give them.

Dusty is spraying everywhere, rubbing his chin all over Whispers things and generally being a pain.

Thank you everyone, Milla.

Aww what a shame she isn't getting better, and now Dusty too :(
I'm sorry to hear that ...

I hope they will be well and strong enough for their ops.

Please keep in touch :wave:

Hi there everyone! :wave:

Well both Whisper and Dusty were both poorly, Dusty with sneezes and runny eyes, and Whisper was too poorly to have her operation. We left them another 9 days and tried some fresh air so they could hopefully get better. They had never been out in the open at all, so taking them onto the grass was a scary thing for them.

Dusty seemed to be having a good time though!

So we took the rabbits to the vets (must say Vets4Pets have been amazing) with a huge packed lunch and I went off to school. I came back to my dad saying all had gone well and we could get them at 5:30. When we got there, they said Whisper was quite poorly so she was being monitored for another hour. We looked around and then got Whisper and Dusty. Both in the same carrier and both snuggled and not moving. They were ok, but didn't want to move. I just wanted to cuddle them. :cry:

We put them in their new runs and let them come out in their own time. Dusty was first so we put him in his side and so we left Whisper over night to relax.

Whisper didn't eat anything all day Tuesday and never came out. The vets called us and booked an emergency appointment for today at 4pm. Whisper responded to some celery and cucumber (her favourite) and has seemed to have eaten her proper food this morning so fingers crossed.

Dusty is still mounting Whisper at every oppertunity so we still have to keep them separate. :(

Last edited:
Dusty and Whisper are absolutely gorgeous.:love:
You obviously love them very much and your dad deserves a medal for the housing he has built!
I have my fingers crossed for your vet visit and hope to get a positive update later.

Back