• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

*Warning Sensitive Subject * Not ALL Rabbits Can Cope With Extremely Cold Weather....

InspectorMorse

Wise Old Thumper
Do you agree ?

Over the last week I have seen numerous posts on Social Media where Rabbits have either become seriously unwell (stasis, hypothermic shock) or died as a direct result of hypothermia. In many cases the Rabbits were provided with outdoor accommodation that is well within the 'cold weather care' guidelines of both the RSPCA and the RWAF.

IMO the assumption that outdoor Rabbits can always cope with extremely low temperatures- ie sub zero, as long as they are provided with appropriate accommodation, is misleading. Is it time to change this message ? Should outdoor Rabbits be moved to an indoor environment over winter ?

Wild Rabbits live below ground, the temperature below ground won't fall to sub zero. Wild Rabbits live in groups, many people still have single outdoor Rabbits so they won't have other Rabbits to snuggle with to keep warm. Wild Rabbits are unlikely to live for more than 4 years. Pet Rabbits can live to be teenagers. Elderly Rabbits are far less likely to be able to regulate their body temperature

Opinions ?

I agree. And I think it depends a lot on their accommodation, too. In the past, I have brought outdoor rabbits inside when it’s been sub zero like this.

I personally don’t think so as bunnies can’t cope with changes in general so extreme weather I would say is a big no

I agree. And I think it depends a lot on their accommodation, too. In the past, I have brought outdoor rabbits inside when it’s been sub zero like this.

Some bunnies won’t like the change of being insider either but it’s the lesser evil I guess. Bunnies are so complicated. I loves em

I can only speak from experience. First winter I came here they predicted storm after storm, so Treacle and her brother came indoors, never went back out, apart from daytime in an outdoor run. Having said that, good waterproof accommodation could be heated. I don't know the answer, if there is one, but we are definitely seeing more extremes of weather, both ends of the scale.

It is thought that Bunnies can cope with temps as low as -5 and I have never experienced any problems at this temp, but below this and you could be right. Also the Rabbit's health and age has to be taken into consideration and whether he/she is a single Rabbit or not.

I think if heating can be provided, whilst maintaining good ventilation that is a different scenario. I suspect that those with heated outdoor accommodation are in the minority though.

I can’t base my opinion on experience as I have never had Rabbits who lived outdoors 24/7. But as I mentioned, over the last week posts on Social Media regarding Rabbits literally freezing to death makes me think that there needs to be a greater focus on the fact that with climate change we are seeing extremes of temperatures , both very cold and very hot and we need to take appropriate action re the advice given as to how best to house our Rabbits.

It depends - age and health of rabbit, companion(s), accommodation provided, additional winter measures taken, and the weather. I am ok with mine at mild frosts. When it looks like it's going to get to -5'C for any time, I get very twitchy. Bringing them inside has it's own issues, though. Some don't like it, there may not be a suitable safe space, it may be too warm relative to being outside normally, etc. Then you have to think about when to move them back outside again.

For instance:
A trio of healthy 2 year old rabbits in good size accommodation, weatherproofed & checked at least twice a day - shouldn't be an issue. Top up with extra hay, an extra cover, and maybe snugglesafe heat pad(s) for normal (for Yorkshire) cold weather (ie the odd night at -2-3'C).

8 year old singleton - seriously consider bringing inside to a cool room.
Anything in just a basic hutch and / or in areas of more severe cold / wet / wind - definitely need to make some alternative arrangements.

It is something that owners should take into consideration as part of owning a pet, though.

Thinking about it, there would be some points to consider:

Body size: The smaller an animal, the worse is the surface/mass ratio, with less body per square inch to produce heat that could be a limiting factor.
Fur types: A lot of pet rabbits have cute fur types that are not close to natural, and might not work as well as insulator. Good thing in warm times, not so much in winter.
Food: I feed quite a lot of calories, like root vegetables, in winter. Normally a small rabbit can live happily on hay and some greens, when it's cold they need a lot more energy - way more if weight and fur are already a disadvantage.
Water: Bottles are often used in those tiny outdoor pet hutches, those freeze imediatly and need to be replaced more then once per day. Even non insulated bowls freeze pretty fast when there's a little wind. I'm really a fan of electrically heated bowls. Not enough water can contribute to digestion issues, and fatal energy loss.

I don't worry about my 8-10lbs outdoor rabbits down to -15°, then I put a tarp over their overnight hutches. Now it had about -9° and there was no difference in behaviour, even my house bunnys are eager to get out in the morning.

When I had my stasis-prone bunnies, the reason I had to bring them inside permanently was because I frequently noticed stasis was happening as a result of a cold night. It didn't help that they were quite happy to sit outside in the run at a cold temperature, rather than snuggling up inside the hutch part. So it appeared that they weren't bothered by the cold, but then one of them would be in the early signs of stasis by the morning.

When I had my stasis-prone bunnies, the reason I had to bring them inside permanently was because I frequently noticed stasis was happening as a result of a cold night. It didn't help that they were quite happy to sit outside in the run at a cold temperature, rather than snuggling up inside the hutch part. So it appeared that they weren't bothered by the cold, but then one of them would be in the early signs of stasis by the morning.

This has happened with my boy Hamilton, too. If he gets too cold it can trigger stasis. But it only happens once a year, when the first cold snap hits and it's a shock to his system. After a couple of hours inside he is fine again, goes back out and it doesn't happen again, even if it gets way colder. It has only happened to him the past two years, but he is eight now, so I think it's age related. My other three are absolutely fine and don't show any signs of being cold. They love playing out in the snow too.

In response to Jane's question, I think the issue is more to do with neglectful owners, because owners who really care about their rabbits and love them will be able to tell if there is something wrong immediately, and will check on them several times a day, no matter the weather.

That being said, we are intending to move house within a year, because I'd much rather have them indoors in the winter. Our current house is far too small to have them inside, though.

I think there are just too many variables to make any blanket rule. Really it comes down to being a sensible pet owner who takes the time to really care. Not all outside bunnies are "outside" ie just in a hutch - mine are outside but their hutch is a summer house that is lined with relective plasterboard. I haven't heated it at all, though it has always been an option, because they just haven't needed it. Despite outside temps of down to -10, their water bowls have never frozen, so there is a very clear distinction between good unheated shelter and poor.
Access to movement is a big one as well - all animals can create warmth by moving, and those bunnies who have plenty of space and reason to explore it regularly ie a variety of feeding stations, hiding treats, food toys that move will stay warmer than those who have to stay in one spot in order to eat. We know in horses that they are often warmer outside with shelter, than in a stable, because of movement and being surrounded by cold walls and floor.
Flooring is a huge one, and probably overlooked - anyone who has camped in the cold will know that if you can block the cold from beneath you have a much better chance of staying warm than piling blankets on top. Hutches on stands are probably warmer than hutches on the ground, but many hutches will be placed on concrete I suspect, and just lifting thses and placing onto thick rubber matting could make a huge difference.
But at the end of the day it all comes down to people using common sense, observation, and meeting their individual animal's needs. Acknowledging that bunnies are warmer with a friend. Watching their weight closely as an indicator of energy requirements. And if you can't keep the water bowls from freezing, then I'd say the bunny is likely to be too cold too.

I think there are just too many variables to make any blanket rule. Really it comes down to being a sensible pet owner who takes the time to really care. Not all outside bunnies are "outside" ie just in a hutch - mine are outside but their hutch is a summer house that is lined with relective plasterboard. I haven't heated it at all, though it has always been an option, because they just haven't needed it. Despite outside temps of down to -10, their water bowls have never frozen, so there is a very clear distinction between good unheated shelter and poor.
Access to movement is a big one as well - all animals can create warmth by moving, and those bunnies who have plenty of space and reason to explore it regularly ie a variety of feeding stations, hiding treats, food toys that move will stay warmer than those who have to stay in one spot in order to eat. We know in horses that they are often warmer outside with shelter, than in a stable, because of movement and being surrounded by cold walls and floor.
Flooring is a huge one, and probably overlooked - anyone who has camped in the cold will know that if you can block the cold from beneath you have a much better chance of staying warm than piling blankets on top. Hutches on stands are probably warmer than hutches on the ground, but many hutches will be placed on concrete I suspect, and just lifting thses and placing onto thick rubber matting could make a huge difference.
But at the end of the day it all comes down to people using common sense, observation, and meeting their individual animal's needs. Acknowledging that bunnies are warmer with a friend. Watching their weight closely as an indicator of energy requirements. And if you can't keep the water bowls from freezing, then I'd say the bunny is likely to be too cold too.

This is really insightful, as I said, I have no experience of keeping Rabbits outdoors 24/7.

I think it is often assumed that providing blankets for extra warmth will help, but in fact they can become damp and freeze so can make things wore. Many people don’t seem to know that straw is a better insulator than hay.

As you mentioned, it comes down to doing research. The sad thing is that over the last few weeks many of the people who have lost Rabbits to hypothermia have apparently provided appropriate cold weather accommodation. The one thing about every loss was that they were all small Rabbits, no more than 2kg. Maybe size of Rabbit matters more than had previously been thought too.

My rabbits are indoor and often I get concerned about them being too cold because we don’t turn on the heating very often...however, I completely forgot that I set the thermostat so the heating will come on if it drops below 10, but that has yet to ever happen.

My thoughts have definitely been on outdoor rabbits last week, especially with our temperatures dropping to as low as -6 by dawn...

I definitely second on the flooring and things. I’ve slept on a air mattress in a house in winter and been freezing despite a duvet and about 3 blankets - and I am very used to sitting in my own home at around 13-15 degrees in winter even now. I’m always of the mindset of put in more clothes if you’re cold...fluffy socks are brilliant...stems from being a student with little money...

The minute I moved to the couch (it was a teeny 2 seater and I’m a tall girl) I was so much warmer! I imagine having multiple levels is amazing to keep them from getting too cold.

Insulating the walls is another thing to consider! Think I read above about someone putting plasterboard type stuff in the walls? maybe putting those insulating, silvery shiny sheets in the walls too? Will help. Like the emergency blankets you get that are basically like tinfoil.

Close off entrances to outdoor runs seeing as some crazy bunnies seem to like to sit out there and get extra chilly! A cosy bedroom per bunny and one extra for snuggling off ground and filled with a good quality bedding. You can get those heat pad things that you stick in the microwave....only wish I had a microwave. [emoji28] I guess it would be wise to do this maybe at dusk and then again just before bed too?

Extra calories too keep them warm...generating body heat means more energy expenditure so more calories needed.

You could put a digital thermometer in their housing to get a good idea what temperature it is in their domain. I think heating their living area is potentially dangerous without monitoring if they have no place to go if they feel too warm?

I think housing like those I’ve seen on Instagram - Lopslodge/Harrydaisybunnies is something to aim for. They both have several levels for the rabbits to be on, a cosy bedroom (of more in the case of lopslodge)...

I read lopslodge had instances of the bottom floor freezing over (I think it’s carpeted or something?) which is something to hugely consider.

So given all this [emoji3595], I have to wonder how much is due to cold weather and how much is due to the wrong set up? I know individual bunnies have individual needs - size, fur type, age, etc all play a role too but there are things we as owners can do to combat some of this.

Maybe there should be better information on how to house outdoor rabbits instead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
We have a home office outside. It's insulated and cost a lot to make, but is really a glorified shed. I think it has to be better insulated than your average bunny enclosure. There was a whole day and night over the weekend where it wasn't used, so remained unheated for 24 hours. By morning it was around 1 degree in there.

I just look at my two smallest Rabbits, Dara 1.4 kg and John-Joe 1.6 kg with a Rex coat and I cannot imagine them surviving outdoors in the temperatures we had last week.

This is really insightful, as I said, I have no experience of keeping Rabbits outdoors 24/7.

I think it is often assumed that providing blankets for extra warmth will help, but in fact they can become damp and freeze so can make things wore. Many people don’t seem to know that straw is a better insulator than hay.

As you mentioned, it comes down to doing research. The sad thing is that over the last few weeks many of the people who have lost Rabbits to hypothermia have apparently provided appropriate cold weather accommodation. The one thing about every loss was that they were all small Rabbits, no more than 2kg. Maybe size of Rabbit matters more than had previously been thought too.

Again, in equines it has been found that smaller ponies lose more heat than bigger horses because their internal organs are closer to the surface - hence why tiny ponies develop such ridiculously big coats compared to bigger animals! So yes, size is extremely relevant, I don't see why it would be any different for rabbits. Coat type coming a close second. And also whether you have a plonker of a bunny like Odin who drops half his coat in the middle of the -10 cold snap!

Again, in equines it has been found that smaller ponies lose more heat than bigger horses because their internal organs are closer to the surface - hence why tiny ponies develop such ridiculously big coats compared to bigger animals! So yes, size is extremely relevant, I don't see why it would be any different for rabbits. Coat type coming a close second. And also whether you have a plonker of a bunny like Odin who drops half his coat in the middle of the -10 cold snap!

Also smaller animals generally have a larger surface area to volume ratio, so lose heat much quicker than larger animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last winter we had one single occasion when, after several cold days, our elderly Harvey rabbit seemed to display signs of distress. So now as a rule of thumb if the overnight temperature dips below +5°C he goes in the shed for the night.
So yes, it can happen, in my experience.

Sonic lived outside for 9.5 years, and was fine. His coat was unbelievably thick, and he always knew when the weather would change before the weatherman! We tried over the years to provide him with warm spaces, which he regularly either ignored or ruined. He would dig through the hay and straw so he was sitting on the lino, and he would push any bedding to the side and refuse to sit on it. He would always have a sheltered space to sit, but you could guarantee he would find the place where the rain or snow would get in, and his outer layer would be soaking... super warm and dry inside though! The second he had the chance to come out and play in snow and rain, he'd be having the time of his life. He was near impossible to catch sometimes, and it was always when the weather was bad!

I don't think there's a black and white answer... a) I reckon it differs between breeds and b) some are just so bloody stubborn they will never think they're cold!!

Back