• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gi Trixie mini lion lop

Zoe99

New Kit
Trixi went to pdsa this morning who gave various injections for GI. 8 hours later She is currently a bit dopey managed a wee and little water but no food. She is grooming a little so tummy must be working? I don't want to force feed her as she will stress out but should I be worried if she is grooming and drinking water. As that must be simulating her tummy?

Hi, welcome to the forum and I'm sorry that Trixie is unwell :(

Do you know exactly what medication Trixie was given? Some pain relief will cause some bunnies to be very sleepy for several hours and it's possible that this is what has happened.

Is Trixie producing poos as well as wees? Do you know whether the vet ruled out a blockage?

What advice did the vet give you about her further management? If she is still very sleepy it's best not to attempt to syringe-feed, as there would be a danger of aspiration. You should be coaxing her to eat though as she will need food to stimulate her tummy. Does she like herbs? Sometimes bunnies will nibble strong-smelling herbs if you keep waving them in front of her face. It is a good sign that she is drinking water, as that will keep her well hydrated.

Hi it was 4 small injections for digestion and pain. It must be the pain killer still having effects ? one of my previous rabbits I would give baby colic medicine which would resolve her tummy but I didn't have any and myself just come out of hospital so took her to pdsa asap. Its the first time she had a tight tummy coming up for 6 months old and I've not had a rabbit which has had to have the injections for GI before. She just ripped a bit of newspaper and ate it - will try her with fresh pansy as she likes those.

Vet gave me metacam for tomorrow - but don't want to use it - seems a high dose 10ml?
dear zoe99,--gut mobility med[reglyn.?],plus pain med,-now more pain med[metacam],--my experience says[whats going on]-meloxicam[metacam]-0.3 to 0.6mg/kg-PO/SC-sid,bid--orally-once/or/twice daily,but I cannot advise this.-here is my link to sanity http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html and http://www.medirabbit.com rabbits[being prey animals]-hide their discomfort,pain-to the point of dying,you never want to hear that,it is the most helpless feeling ..--sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

Vet gave me metacam for tomorrow - but don't want to use it - seems a high dose 10ml?

Is it the 10kg dose on the syringe that comes with the metacam, rather than 10ml?
Is it cat or dog metacam? They come in different strengths, so you will need more of the cat one than the dog one for the same effective dose.
If you have been advised to give the meds, can you ring the vet in the morning and check the dose first?

What were you advised regarding feeding her?
It's good if she is eating for herself - you need to monitor her poo output as well, as that shows how her well guts are working.

I have tried Trixie with fresh pansies and mint that she will eat slowly but still no hay or pellets. I guess recovery from GI injections is very different and slow compared to using baby colic medication.

I hope your bunny has improved overnight, did your vet give you gut meds to give at home ? As Shimmer has said the metacam prescribed could be cat or dog metacam, and the syringe may be the kg marked syringe. I would get her back to the vet, especially if she is not eating for herself this morning and you haven’t got any gut meds to give her at home.

GI stasis is very serious. She may need oral meds for a week or more to keep her guts moving, and pain relief. If she isn't eating much, you will need to top up with syringe food - you can get powder to mix up with water, or soak her usual pellets and add a bit of fruit or veg baby food puree. Check with your vet that this is OK and she doesn't have any obstructions first. She will need top ups several times a day until she is eating and pooing normally by herself.

Thank you all for your help she is eating fresh mint and water I'm just waiting for her to poo which is a bit difficult as her fella Mr bunbuns likes to do sync pooing so I have to watch quick as to who does what!

Thank you all for your help she is eating fresh mint and water I'm just waiting for her to poo which is a bit difficult as her fella Mr bunbuns likes to do sync pooing so I have to watch quick as to who does what!
dear-zoe99,-excellent,[mint] will calm the tummy,water to wash it down.--we-will stay tuned--sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

Back