• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bladder flushing?

I'm so heartened to hear this Ruth :)

It's awful when our little ones are poorly x

Thanks so much mightymax, he’s really turned a corner over the last 24 hours and has his full appetite back even eating his pellets! It’s such a relief.. :)

He’s also sort back of using his litter tray and puppy pads, no more dribbling all over the carpet. Although he’s still got a slight red tinge and he’s still doing smaller wees, not bigger ones but hopefully this will come in time!

Thanks everyone again for all your support xxx

Great to read this great update on your little boy Ruth, such a bad time he had. Such a relief he is is making big improvements now. (and breath!!) xx

Great to read this great update on your little boy Ruth, such a bad time he had. Such a relief he is is making big improvements now. (and breath!!) xx

Thanks so much Nicky, I know right.. scary times but hopefully he’ll be okay from now on.

Sorry to be a pain but do you remember how quickly Oliver stopped the spot weeing? As bailey still hasn’t done a big wee, but he’ll happily do loads of smaller ones. I also took a sample of one yesterday and it looked quite thick as if sludge was present.. although I can’t be sure. I’ll be speaking to the vet shortly when they open to see what they think? but do you possibly remember if Oliver was doing ‘normal’ big wees straight away? Xxx

Hi Ruth, sorry Bailey still is spotting :( Oliver pretty much stopped spotting as soon as he had his flush. He had had a baytril prior to his flush to make sure no infection was present (I know you don't want to think of another flush at this point but when he needs another flush hopefully months and months away, a course of antibiotics prior to the flush could maybe prevent the bad time Bailey had. I know his urine was tested and no uti showed not that long before his flush so you couldn't have known he had an infection .) so I think his spotting could be due still to current infection imflamation and swelling in his bladder or urethra. That's just a guess. Hopefully by his vet check on Thursday this will have improved more. Bailey is bound to feel more comfortable now without all the sludge. Strange his pee might show sludge still. The vet said they flushed Oliver bladder until the water ran clear and I never noticed sludge after the flush. I hope your vet can give you some answers xx

Last edited:
Thanks so much mightymax, he’s really turned a corner over the last 24 hours and has his full appetite back even eating his pellets! It’s such a relief.. :)

He’s also sort back of using his litter tray and puppy pads, no more dribbling all over the carpet. Although he’s still got a slight red tinge and he’s still doing smaller wees, not bigger ones but hopefully this will come in time!

Thanks everyone again for all your support xxx

Is he still on the Metacam Ruth? As Nicky said, could be residual inflammation and Metacam will help with that.

I am glad he is peeing and doesn't need catheterisation. Well done Bailey :D

Hi both,

thanks so much :love:

Yes, he's still on his metacam and this has been extended for another 5 days.

I also mentioned the sludge to the vet, and they assured me when flushing his bladder it was done until the water run clear so they're very confident it got rid of all the sludge. They believe it may be calcium from what he's eaten since having the flush and although I may think it looks like sludge, because I use puppy pads it more likely chalky calcium instead. Probably from the dandelions and plantain he's had which I've stopped giving him now.

They've also had his test results back from the culture which didn't show anything which is annoying but we're going to carry on with the Baytril for 10 days and see how he goes.

I asked about the spot weeing and they think it's just a case of him still being sore and perhaps as he's been spot weeing over the last few months, he may have got used to doing it. Not sure if I believe this, but we'll continue with the metacam and baytril and see how he goes.

His check up is on Thursday afternoon and they've already put aside extra time for him to have another ultrasound so they can have a look at his bladder. (fingers and toes crossed!) xxx

Hi both,

thanks so much :love:

Yes, he's still on his metacam and this has been extended for another 5 days.

I also mentioned the sludge to the vet, and they assured me when flushing his bladder it was done until the water run clear so they're very confident it got rid of all the sludge. They believe it may be calcium from what he's eaten since having the flush and although I may think it looks like sludge, because I use puppy pads it more likely chalky calcium instead. Probably from the dandelions and plantain he's had which I've stopped giving him now.

They've also had his test results back from the culture which didn't show anything which is annoying but we're going to carry on with the Baytril for 10 days and see how he goes.

I asked about the spot weeing and they think it's just a case of him still being sore and perhaps as he's been spot weeing over the last few months, he may have got used to doing it. Not sure if I believe this, but we'll continue with the metacam and baytril and see how he goes.

His check up is on Thursday afternoon and they've already put aside extra time for him to have another ultrasound so they can have a look at his bladder. (fingers and toes crossed!) xxx

Does he have to have any sedation for the ultrasound Ruth?
It really sounds like you're in good hands with your vet :)

Everything crossed here for the little chap xx

Hi Mightymax, I've literally just come off the phone to them.. when I went home at lunchtime there was 2 patches of thick sludge on the carpet :cry:

They are really hoping it's perhaps some residual stuff that is coming out.. but they can't be sure! No luckily he doesn't need any sedation, they just clip back some of his lower belly fluff and place the probe on him.. he's usually pretty well behaved for it!

They'll also do a blood test and full profile to see how his kidney's are?

Either way, it's still quite concerning as he certainly shouldn't be spot weeing and we definitely shouldn't be seeing lumps of sludge! :cry:

Tom will also discuss with me about possibly putting him on long term meds like a diuretic drug to help him urine more or even using a supplement which we'll sprinkle on his food to help break down calcium..

So for the moment we'll continue on his baytril and metacam until Thursday and then see what that brings.. (thanks for all your support so far!) xxx

Hi Mightymax, I've literally just come off the phone to them.. when I went home at lunchtime there was 2 patches of thick sludge on the carpet :cry:

They are really hoping it's perhaps some residual stuff that is coming out.. but they can't be sure! No luckily he doesn't need any sedation, they just clip back some of his lower belly fluff and place the probe on him.. he's usually pretty well behaved for it!

They'll also do a blood test and full profile to see how his kidney's are?

Either way, it's still quite concerning as he certainly shouldn't be spot weeing and we definitely shouldn't be seeing lumps of sludge! :cry:

Tom will also discuss with me about possibly putting him on long term meds like a diuretic drug to help him urine more or even using a supplement which we'll sprinkle on his food to help break down calcium..

So for the moment we'll continue on his baytril and metacam until Thursday and then see what that brings.. (thanks for all your support so far!) xxx

Oh gosh your heart must have sunk when you saw those patches of sludge on the carpet :(

A full blood test is a good idea. Best to get all checked to see how everything fits together.

Aw Ruth sludge already :( poor Bailey, I hope the vets can find some answers. Good boy that he sits for his belly trim. I found this link below which may or may not be of help. It talks about using liquid magnesium for sludge. I remember showing it to my vet but she wasn't keen on using the magnesium as she said she didn't want to upset Oliver electrolyte balance. So we didn't. I don't know if it's an option for Bailey or not but thought you might be interested in reading it.

Mighty Max have you ever heard of liquid magnesium being used for sludge? Any thoughts on it?? Safe??

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/LiquidMg/Liquid_magnesium.htm

Aw Ruth sludge already :( poor Bailey, I hope the vets can find some answers. Good boy that he sits for his belly trim. I found this link below which may or may not be of help. It talks about using liquid magnesium for sludge. I remember showing it to my vet but she wasn't keen on using the magnesium as she said she didn't want to upset Oliver electrolyte balance. So we didn't. I don't know if it's an option for Bailey or not but thought you might be interested in reading it.

Mighty Max have you ever heard of liquid magnesium being used for sludge? Any thoughts on it?? Safe??

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/LiquidMg/Liquid_magnesium.htm

Hi Nicky :wave:

You've reminded me of something that I delved into many years ago for a bunny.

Having read your link again just now, I can't see any contra-indications and I think it might be worth a discussion with the vet for Ruth maybe?

Ruth, what do you think about it?

Thanks so much both.. and yes I’ll be sure to mention this tomorrow when we go to the vets. I’m just hoping and praying it’s not his kidneys.. but i know we’re running out of suggestions and this is looking most likely isn’t it? :cry:

He’s going to be 4 in June/July time so he’s still only young yet..

I’ve come home again to more sludge, so yeah I’m willing to give anything a go to try and help him..

Last edited:
So we’re finally back home. He’s had his blood test and ultrasound!

Blood test results are due back tomorrow. They are keen to start bailey on a diuretic and the amount will depend on his results tomorrow. I asked about the liquid magnesium and they have heard of it before but it’s personally something he wouldn’t recommend. He’s known rabbits to have it, but it also affects the levels of other chemicals and would be worried about bailey having it until we’ve found out what the problem seems to be.

We’ve gone through his diet again and with him having selective science pellets they do contain Alfalfa. So I’ve now brought some oxbow Timothy hay ones to see how he likes them. Otherwise he isn’t having anything with excess calcium. Instead we need to try and increase his water intake with wetting all his coriander and broccoli beforehand.

With the ultrasound, not the best news! :cry:

It showed quite abit of sludge present in his bladder which was a complete shock considering he was only flushed last Wednesday. It also showed his bladder wall was quite thick, which we believe is linked to the infection or perhaps he’s still sore from the flush. It’s quite obvious when he’s weeing he’s not emptying his bladder instead just peeing in small amounts which is why it’s building up!

I asked about his kidneys and the vet agrees we certainly can’t rule it out.. :cry:

As soon as they have the blood test results, they’ll let me know and they’re hoping this should help determine what the problem is.. so no real update today but a worrying night ahead for us..

Thanks again for all your support and we’ll see what the results show tomorrow xxx

Last edited:
So we’re finally back home. He’s had his blood test and ultrasound!

Blood test results are due back tomorrow. They are keen to start bailey on a diuretic and the amount will depend on his results tomorrow. I asked about the liquid magnesium and they have heard of it before but it’s personally something he wouldn’t recommend. He’s known rabbits to have it, but it also affects the levels of other chemicals and would be worried about bailey having it until we’ve found out what the problem seems to be.

We’ve gone through his diet again and with him having selective science pellets they do contain Alfalfa. So I’ve now brought some oxbow Timothy hay ones to see how he likes them. Otherwise he isn’t having anything with excess calcium. Instead we need to try and increase his water intake with wetting all his coriander and broccoli beforehand.

With the ultrasound, not the best news! :cry:

It showed quite abit of sludge present in his bladder which was a complete shock considering he was only flushed last Wednesday. It also showed his bladder wall was quite thick, which we believe is linked to the infection or perhaps he’s still sore from the flush. It’s quite obvious when he’s weeing he’s not emptying his bladder instead just peeing in small amounts which is why it’s building up!

I asked about his kidneys and the vet agrees we certainly can’t rule it out.. :cry:

As soon as they have the blood test results, they’ll let me know and they’re hoping this should help determine what the problem is.. so no real update today but a worrying night ahead for us..

Thanks again for all your support and we’ll see what the results show tomorrow xxx

With the blood test are they checking for EC titres too ?

Back