• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

U/D Vibes for Henry please -New 6th FebU/D after vet

Firstly, you are a great bun dad. Most definitely. And secondly, I’m very glad the vet has agreed to let you give him metacam twice a day, it definitely helped Frosty when he was in pain with mouth ulcers after his dental.

Hopefully you will feel more at ease now and Henry will feel much better soon. Sending lots more vibes and hugs xx

agreed.
thankfully still doesn't appear to be a break and from your description of his activity at the vets isn't in too much discomfort.
you're doing the best anybody could. i'm sure in a week or two he will be a lot better & on to the next thing to worry you.
xxx

I'm pleased you've had reassurance from your lovely vet. Soft tissue injury certainly does take a while to heal in humans, so I can't see it being any different in rabbits. Greater coverage of Metacam should make him feel more comfortable.

Really hope you are feeling calmer now, and Henry will soon be all healed up bless him. Your vet sounds brilliant, and you are a wonderful bun dad, you buns are so lucky to have you and your OH to love and care for them xxx

Good boy Henry showing up your bunny dad at the vets.

We loves you Henry and sending all the paw healing vibes in the world. Keep calm and nom on!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

bless him. Hope the hurty stops soon. As others have said, you're a top bunny dad. Its really useful to have 2 pairs of eyes on a situation - it just means he has a caring bunny mom too. All good x

You’re a fantastic bunny dad. Going to the vets was of benefit as now he can have more pain relief, so even if you had had to pay the extra charge it would have been worth it. Obviously, the vet has been unable to resist Henry’s charms and so he has her quite rightly wrapped around his (none hurty) paw! I don’t have children, but I’m sure all the parents out there will know that feeling of taking your poorly child to the doctors as they’re very off colour and then when you get to the doctors they’re full of beans! It appears bunnies are no different. I hope Henry continues to get better and doesn’t milk the sympathy for extra treats too much!

How's bun-bun doing this morning Craig?
And how are things in the Hillian Household?

Good morning MM - and everyone else. Henry and Hillian are under the table (as is now customary). Lillian had a strop earlier and picked up the (heavy) ceramic food bowl that we'd put out (cause she was chewing files which is her way of saying "get me food hooman"), and chucked it about. Never seen her do that before. Earlier, she and Henry had been sharing noms in the bowl and it was nice and comforting to see Henry tucking in - or as best he can with a big hairy floof shovel in the way. Henry is still clearly lame and in a few minutes it's wrestling time as we try to give him a partial dose of metacalm. I may as well just get the syringe and squirt it over my clothes and run a rake over my shoulder - it'll save the ensuring battle royale that's about to commence:lol:
I reckon Lillian is frustrated because Henry isn't tearing off up the garden and she's sort of stuck because she wants to be with Henry and is probably frustrated that he's housebound and she won't go outside without him. As I said, he's her rock. They've tucked into some cabbage as well so at least he's eating which removes some stress from me regarding stasis.
As to everything else, I've done a few jobs already - cleaned the buns area out, hoovered, ironed the first 2 loads of washing, put a 3rd on, changed the bedding and made O/H sandwiches for next week and made evening teas for monday - wednesday. And in a moment I'll go to the supermarket and get some bits and then I've got my car to hoover out and I've got to wire in my new dvd/freeview player that I got for xmas and figure out how that works before binning the current cable tv contract - which is getting too expensive. But on the other hand, all I wan to to do really, is sit down, grab a duvet all afternoon and watch films on the telly, eat chocolate and watch the world go by. But that seems a waste.
Thank you all for thinking of Henry - it means a huge amount to him (and me).
Craig xx

Good morning MM - and everyone else. Henry and Hillian are under the table (as is now customary). Lillian had a strop earlier and picked up the (heavy) ceramic food bowl that we'd put out (cause she was chewing files which is her way of saying "get me food hooman"), and chucked it about. Never seen her do that before. Earlier, she and Henry had been sharing noms in the bowl and it was nice and comforting to see Henry tucking in - or as best he can with a big hairy floof shovel in the way. Henry is still clearly lame and in a few minutes it's wrestling time as we try to give him a partial dose of metacalm. I may as well just get the syringe and squirt it over my clothes and run a rake over my shoulder - it'll save the ensuring battle royale that's about to commence:lol:
I reckon Lillian is frustrated because Henry isn't tearing off up the garden and she's sort of stuck because she wants to be with Henry and is probably frustrated that he's housebound and she won't go outside without him. As I said, he's her rock. They've tucked into some cabbage as well so at least he's eating which removes some stress from me regarding stasis.
As to everything else, I've done a few jobs already - cleaned the buns area out, hoovered, ironed the first 2 loads of washing, put a 3rd on, changed the bedding and made O/H sandwiches for next week and made evening teas for monday - wednesday. And in a moment I'll go to the supermarket and get some bits and then I've got my car to hoover out and I've got to wire in my new dvd/freeview player that I got for xmas and figure out how that works before binning the current cable tv contract - which is getting too expensive. But on the other hand, all I wan to to do really, is sit down, grab a duvet all afternoon and watch films on the telly, eat chocolate and watch the world go by. But that seems a waste.
Craig xx

Gracious you're like a whirlwind Craig, but I guess you have to be, doing the household/domestic chores of two people.
I wish you could have an afternoon off too. You didn't get much free time at Christmas (if any?) and if anyone deserves a duvet and chocolate afternoon I reckon it's you.

However, onto the Henry. I'm sorry it's preventing Lillian going outside. It's mild and dry here and good bun running weather, but I don't know what it's like where you are?

I hope Henry can get some rest and recuperation. And you too, Craig x

Good morning MM - and everyone else. Henry and Hillian are under the table (as is now customary). Lillian had a strop earlier and picked up the (heavy) ceramic food bowl that we'd put out (cause she was chewing files which is her way of saying "get me food hooman"), and chucked it about. Never seen her do that before. Earlier, she and Henry had been sharing noms in the bowl and it was nice and comforting to see Henry tucking in - or as best he can with a big hairy floof shovel in the way. Henry is still clearly lame and in a few minutes it's wrestling time as we try to give him a partial dose of metacalm. I may as well just get the syringe and squirt it over my clothes and run a rake over my shoulder - it'll save the ensuring battle royale that's about to commence[emoji38]
Craig xx
Blimey you're organised! [emoji38]

Vibes for the lovely Henry [emoji7] x

Blimey you're organised! [emoji38]

Vibes for the lovely Henry [emoji7] x

Organised? Ha ha ha. It's called "I have to do it cause no one else will".
BTW, bought the furry monsters some carrots with tops on whilst out shopping, along with some fresh basil. Put the basil down and the floof monster turned her nose up at that. So, stupidly I put the rest of the goodies down (including the carrot tops) and by the time I'd grabbed the second bag and started sorting it, Lillian had decided to munch her way through the complete set on one carrot. And I'm talking stalks and all. I recall someone on the forum gave their rabbits 2 or 3 stalks and posted a picture the other day. Lillian scoffed about 6 strands and when I caught her, she had 3 coming out of her mouth. Henry had also decided to tuck in and was eating one strand. We've addressed that and hidden the rest of the carrots - Henry needs to eat this kind of stuff to help maintain his bodies repair mechanism.
Thank you for the vibes - very much appreciated.

Organised? Ha ha ha. It's called "I have to do it cause no one else will".
BTW, bought the furry monsters some carrots with tops on whilst out shopping, along with some fresh basil. Put the basil down and the floof monster turned her nose up at that. So, stupidly I put the rest of the goodies down (including the carrot tops) and by the time I'd grabbed the second bag and started sorting it, Lillian had decided to munch her way through the complete set on one carrot. And I'm talking stalks and all. I recall someone on the forum gave their rabbits 2 or 3 stalks and posted a picture the other day. Lillian scoffed about 6 strands and when I caught her, she had 3 coming out of her mouth. Henry had also decided to tuck in and was eating one strand. We've addressed that and hidden the rest of the carrots - Henry needs to eat this kind of stuff to help maintain his bodies repair mechanism.
Thank you for the vibes - very much appreciated.
Haha. That was my buns. They would happily scoff a mountain of carrot tops if they had the chance. They don't like basil either.

8:30pm this evening, Henry decides he wants to go on the grand tour of the house! He's been subdued and loafed under the table all day, except for the occasional and rare trip to the loo and a 5 minute argument when he had his meds. I was sitting watching telly when this brown flash caught my eye - not Henry at full pelt of course, but I'd left the living room door open to let the heat out (drying the washing) and I noticed Henry was siezing his oppotunity. I hadto leap up and prevent the little rogue from going upstairs but he has a route where he likes to double back into the kitchen. And thsi is what he did. His movement was still very hampered by the paw problem - he holds it away from the ground almost all the time. But then, if it's painful, then I would imagine he would do that. It's interesting looking deeper into the structure of rabbits during this problem with Henry. Whilst many people dismiss rabbits on intelligence grounds, I observe Henry and conclude that they are considerably advanced. The fact that they behave in a similar way to us and other animals when injured - in this instance being lame, leads me to consider that their internal nerve network is clearly well developed and that their brains also posses the ability to identify and consider solutions to injuries. Observing Henry, he prefers to hold the paw away from weight bearing, but he also can use the injured paw to gently wash his face and attempt to wash his ears. It's not easy for him bless him, but he is trying to continue on.
Anyway, yes, he came lolloping past me and then set off in the direction of the kitchen before then doubling back and heading towards the stairs. That's a no no but it was extremely promising to see him wanting to explore, even though he doesn't have full use of the paws. The desire is there. He headed back to the hutch/sleeping area in the kitchen diner before the rustling of the cranberries caught his attention and he decided to take the opportunity to grab 2 cranberries - whilst in the distance, Lillian who was napping, also heard the crinkle and decided she wasn't to be left out. Both now under the table and Henry is having some dried pellets. We'll see what tomorrow brings but it's going to be some time before his paw is working properly. Thank you all again for the vibes. xx

8:30pm this evening, Henry decides he wants to go on the grand tour of the house! He's been subdued and loafed under the table all day, except for the occasional and rare trip to the loo and a 5 minute argument when he had his meds. I was sitting watching telly when this brown flash caught my eye - not Henry at full pelt of course, but I'd left the living room door open to let the heat out (drying the washing) and I noticed Henry was siezing his oppotunity. I hadto leap up and prevent the little rogue from going upstairs but he has a route where he likes to double back into the kitchen. And thsi is what he did. His movement was still very hampered by the paw problem - he holds it away from the ground almost all the time. But then, if it's painful, then I would imagine he would do that. It's interesting looking deeper into the structure of rabbits during this problem with Henry. Whilst many people dismiss rabbits on intelligence grounds, I observe Henry and conclude that they are considerably advanced. The fact that they behave in a similar way to us and other animals when injured - in this instance being lame, leads me to consider that their internal nerve network is clearly well developed and that their brains also posses the ability to identify and consider solutions to injuries. Observing Henry, he prefers to hold the paw away from weight bearing, but he also can use the injured paw to gently wash his face and attempt to wash his ears. It's not easy for him bless him, but he is trying to continue on.
Anyway, yes, he came lolloping past me and then set off in the direction of the kitchen before then doubling back and heading towards the stairs. That's a no no but it was extremely promising to see him wanting to explore, even though he doesn't have full use of the paws. The desire is there. He headed back to the hutch/sleeping area in the kitchen diner before the rustling of the cranberries caught his attention and he decided to take the opportunity to grab 2 cranberries - whilst in the distance, Lillian who was napping, also heard the crinkle and decided she wasn't to be left out. Both now under the table and Henry is having some dried pellets. We'll see what tomorrow brings but it's going to be some time before his paw is working properly. Thank you all again for the vibes. xx

well done Henry :)
being prey animals, i always assume rabbits are 10x worse then what they seem, but even so, i think Henry is looking OK. certainly hope so.
love to them both xxx

Quick update on Henry for you all. Sunday - Still no significant change in Henry. He is limping noticably and no real sign of any improvement. And that's hard for me to watch. In my mind I've got the vets advice from Friday saying "allow a couple of weeks for soft tissue injury", but on the other hand, looking at the interweb, I'm finding incidents of sprained paws that heal in a couple of days. And Henry has been like this since last Tuesday when we first noticed. So I'm concerned that he's not showing any significant improvement based on what I read. But the vet said a couple of weeks so she is far more expert than I.
However...He is eating and interested in food, just no interest in movement. But that's a benefit because he's not putting any un-necessary pressure on the injury and saves me having to confine him to a hutch or cage as some interweb advice suggest.
Observing Henry, he holds the paw up when he sits up so it 'hangs stright down' and is reluctant to put any weight on it unless he has to. The problem appears to be at the 'ankle' joint where the paw meets leg - if that makes sense. He can straighten the leg voluntarily but when he sits, the paw seems bent under him. And this got me thinking about the injury. And whilst I will never know how it happened, and with the vet pretty sure there's no break that she can feel, I think I have determined what his injury is, given the lack of any significant improvement.
I think *and I'm open to anyone suggesting alternatives), that he has torn the ligaments in his ankle. I think what he's done is that he's landed from something and as he landed, his little paw went under itself and bent, straining the tendons and ligaments that support the joint making it weak. Does this sound plausable to anyone?
I guess I'm just impatient and a bad worryer and want him zooming round the place again as he should be - not moping under the table. But then again, at least he's forced resting and he's able to do what I can't.
Thank you all again for your vibes and thoughts for Henry. I'll post a photo of him later in the pictures section - I tried to get his paw but it wasn't easy.
Craig x

Quick update on Henry for you all. Sunday - Still no significant change in Henry. He is limping noticably and no real sign of any improvement. And that's hard for me to watch. In my mind I've got the vets advice from Friday saying "allow a couple of weeks for soft tissue injury", but on the other hand, looking at the interweb, I'm finding incidents of sprained paws that heal in a couple of days. And Henry has been like this since last Tuesday when we first noticed. So I'm concerned that he's not showing any significant improvement based on what I read. But the vet said a couple of weeks so she is far more expert than I.
However...He is eating and interested in food, just no interest in movement. But that's a benefit because he's not putting any un-necessary pressure on the injury and saves me having to confine him to a hutch or cage as some interweb advice suggest.
Observing Henry, he holds the paw up when he sits up so it 'hangs stright down' and is reluctant to put any weight on it unless he has to. The problem appears to be at the 'ankle' joint where the paw meets leg - if that makes sense. He can straighten the leg voluntarily but when he sits, the paw seems bent under him. And this got me thinking about the injury. And whilst I will never know how it happened, and with the vet pretty sure there's no break that she can feel, I think I have determined what his injury is, given the lack of any significant improvement.
I think *and I'm open to anyone suggesting alternatives), that he has torn the ligaments in his ankle. I think what he's done is that he's landed from something and as he landed, his little paw went under itself and bent, straining the tendons and ligaments that support the joint making it weak. Does this sound plausable to anyone?
I guess I'm just impatient and a bad worryer and want him zooming round the place again as he should be - not moping under the table. But then again, at least he's forced resting and he's able to do what I can't.
Thank you all again for your vibes and thoughts for Henry. I'll post a photo of him later in the pictures section - I tried to get his paw but it wasn't easy.
Craig x

What you've said about how he injured his paw sounds perfectly feasible to me.
I am hoping that rest and everything else you're doing meds wise will help a lot, and that in a few days you'll see much more of a big improvement. I am hoping so, fingers crossed x

Craig x

If he has injured a tendon it could take up to 3 weeks to heal, it does so in humans

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/tendonitis/

If it is a damaged ligament it can take up to 6 weeks, depending on the severity of the injury itself

https://physioworks.com.au/Injuries-Conditions/Regions/ligament-injury

So it looks as though Henry will be stuck on the touchline at the Footie matches for the next few weeks !

Topping up the vibes for him xx

If he has injured a tendon it could take up to 3 weeks to heal, it does so in humans

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/tendonitis/

If it is a damaged ligament it can take up to 6 weeks, depending on the severity of the injury itself

https://physioworks.com.au/Injuries-Conditions/Regions/ligament-injury

So it looks as though Henry will be stuck on the touchline at the Footie matches for the next few weeks !

Topping up the vibes for him xx

Oh my good grief. Thank you Jane for this. I'm a complete dunce looking for stuff on the interweb. The links you sent are really helpful as is your timescales.
I guess we've all been there with nursing our pets when they are not well and we just want them back as they were and the fact we can't magic that, means we bear the emotional baggage that this brings.
You have all made me feel so much more reassured that there is nothing I'm missing so I extend my gratitude once more for all your vibes and support. Such wonderful kind caring people - thank you so much.
Craig (and Henry) xx

Back