• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit labour

farrah

Young Bun
was wondering how to tell if my rabbit is pregnant shes 6 months old i do not mean to breed btw but her and her brother has been mating she has built a nest but its mainly his fur? i do not know if its a false pregnancy she is very moody and her belly moves more than it did before she lays down more and is very lazy she has lost some fur on her ears also she has built her nest under my bed there is a nest box in the cage they are both free range bunnies so the cage is just for emergencies she refuses to use the nest box and keeps gping under the bed where the buck can acsess is it dangerous for the male to accessthe nest

Last edited:
was wondering how to tell if my rabbit is pregnant shes 6 months old i do not mean to breed btw but her and her brother has been mating she has built a nest but its mainly his fur? i do not know if its a false pregnancy she is very moody and her belly moves more than it did before she lays down more and is very lazy she has lost some fur on her ears also she has built her nest under my bed there is a nest box in the cage they are both free range bunnies so the cage is just for emergencies she refuses to use the nest box and keeps gping under the bed where the buck can acsess is it dangerous for the male to accessthe nest
Hopefully someone with more knowledge can help you soon, but I'm pretty sure you want to separate the male away so he is not near the female or the nest at all.

Will you be neutering the brother and sister soon? :) I wouldn't let either of them have any contact now until after they have both been neutered.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :)

You might find some useful info here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?327923-Accidental-Litters-and-Taking-on-Babies

http://www.rabbit.org/care/babies.html

http://www.curiousbunny.com/newborn_rabbits_detail.pdf

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/accidental-rabbit-litters/

She is almost certainly pregnant and the thing you need to understand most of all is that as soon as she has had her babies the male can get her pregnant straightaway. Obviously I hope you don't want this to happen as it is a big strain on the Mummy bunny. In order for this not to happen you must separate male and female now. Make sure everything is very clean for Mum and babies and let us know how it goes.

yes the vets said they arent old enough yet though so i have to wait.
Okay, I'd definitely separate them now until they can be neutered then :) best for them both and the babies x

She is almost certainly pregnant and the thing you need to understand most of all is that as soon as she has had her babies the male can get her pregnant straightaway. Obviously I hope you don't want this to happen as it is a big strain on the Mummy bunny. In order for this not to happen you must separate male and female now. Make sure everything is very clean for Mum and babies and let us know how it goes.

what shall i do about the nest?

what shall i do about the nest?

Leave it. If she is pregnant then she will have to have a nest to give birth.

will that break there bond

Possibly/probably, but after you have had them neutered/spayed and once the babies have been weaned and taken away from mum, you can re-introduce them - you will probably need professional help to do this as you can't just put them back together as they might fight. They have to be reintroduced very carefully and slowly.

Possibly/probably, but after you have had them neutered/spayed and once the babies have been weaned and taken away from mum, you can re-introduce them - you will probably need professional help to do this as you can't just put them back together as they might fight. They have to be reintroduced very carefully and slowly.

ok thanks

i have just attempted to palpate an dfeltsome lumps like grapes on one side off her stomach, what is this:?

i have just attempted to palpate an dfeltsome lumps like grapes on one side off her stomach, what is this:?
Probably babies, I think it can be hard to tell though even for a vet, I'd leave her nest alone, remove male from the area and just keep an eye on her and the nest :) let us know how it all goes

Probably babies, I think it can be hard to tell though even for a vet, I'd leave her nest alone, remove male from the area and just keep an eye on her and the nest :) let us know how it all goes

do u know when she could give birth from what i have said

yes the vets said they arent old enough yet though so i have to wait.

I don't think much of your Vet then. You said your rabbit is 6 months old so she is definitely old enough to be pregnant. I would definitely err on the side of her having babies.

I don't think much of your Vet then. You said your rabbit is 6 months old so she is definitely old enough to be pregnant. I would definitely err on the side of her having babies.

the only other vet around me is 4 hours away so i can only really take them to the one that says 7months, what do you mean err ont the side off her

her nest is the size off two pillows she keeps adding hay! theres a big hole wich she burrows in, she just did some and she ran out flopped over andwent to sleep, is this normal?

her nest is the size off two pillows she keeps adding hay! theres a big hole wich she burrows in, she just did some and she ran out flopped over andwent to sleep, is this normal?

Did you read the links I sent? Were they helpful? Hope so :)

Back