• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Timothy Hay Co

I’m really interested in the quality of this hay, I don’t mind paying a little more for hay that I think the buns will enjoy more and possibly create less waste from. Sometimes I really struggle to find good quality hay that is actually green and fresh smelling. Would you mind taking some photos of the hay when it arrives? :)

Eh, do it at your own risk! I bought some as a 'treat' probably about a year ago now and now my lot refuse any other hay. I'm not kidding, they're thoroughly spoilt :roll:
I can't say I've had a bad batch yet and as I say I go through about a bag a week! Some are greener than others but it's generally quite green. Miles above anything I've seen in pet shops.
I'll definitely get you a picture when it turns up :thumb: I'm hoping it'll be here Monday or Tuesday

Oh wow, you're right Loobers, it's not on there anymore! Surely they can't be out already?
MM: Yeah, they had it in the product information iirc.. As Omi said they said it's not stalky as it's the first cut but I ordered it anyway, we're too desperate to wait :p
Oddly I ordered it Thursday night and although I got an order confirmation e-mail I haven't had a dispatch e-mail yet. Usually it's sent the next working day, so now I'm slighly worried!

Eh, do it at your own risk! I bought some as a 'treat' probably about a year ago now and now my lot refuse any other hay. I'm not kidding, they're thoroughly spoilt :roll:
I can't say I've had a bad batch yet and as I say I go through about a bag a week! Some are greener than others but it's generally quite green. Miles above anything I've seen in pet shops.
I'll definitely get you a picture when it turns up :thumb: I'm hoping it'll be here Monday or Tuesday

Oh wow, you're right Loobers, it's not on there anymore! Surely they can't be out already?
MM: Yeah, they had it in the product information iirc.. As Omi said they said it's not stalky as it's the first cut but I ordered it anyway, we're too desperate to wait :p
Oddly I ordered it Thursday night and although I got an order confirmation e-mail I haven't had a dispatch e-mail yet. Usually it's sent the next working day, so now I'm slighly worried!

Edit: Ah, I should have read the rest of the thread before posting :oops: Wow that sold out quick! I'll keep an eye on it on post if I see it available again.
And yeah, regarding the oat hay, the bag we've got now is very thick and straw like. They love the seed bits but the thick straw bits, not so much :roll:

Edit (again):
Oh I can show you some older pictures of last years batch (if the date stamp's right from July last year).
You'll have to excuse the little thief in the middle; she actually jumped in there without my knowledge. If I recal correctly I'd just opened it but hadn't given it to them yet and I heard a noise, looked around for her and ultimately found her munching happily away.
Hopefully you can see the colour of the hay though. Apparently it's worth stealing

Last edited:
End of June. I've got some of the leafy stuff ordered and despatched, so should arrive today or tomorrow. I'll let you know what it's like.

I hope you aren’t going to try it personally:lol:

No, you've said it now, you've got to try it :lol:

Well it's arrived :thumb: And it smells good, is certainly a deep green colour and.......it tastes good to me :lol: It's not stalky, but it's not overly soft either.

My two have been stuffing themselves with Oat hay and forage for hours and have just settled down for a sleep. However, I've given them a handful to try and will see what happens.

I have a strange image in my head of you nibbling to test hay........

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I have a strange image in my head of you nibbling to test hay........

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

:lol:

Perhaps I should clarify :) It was one strand, taken fresh out of the new sack. I've eaten blades of grass before, but I was quite surprised at how much chewing it took to actually achieve a product I felt able to swallow. Rabbits' teeth must be much more efficient than mine and little wonder the action wears their teeth down :lol:

I bought the oat hay for Sonic to keep his teeth good until the new batch of Timothy was available... needless to say, we're having a battle of wills here now :roll: It's taking all my might to not increase his pellets because he's not eating as much hay!! He likes it, I know he does, but he doesn't like change...

Well they've had the new hay for 24 hours now and it's going down very well. It's not stalky, but it's quite rough unlike say meadow hay. Best thing about it is its smell. It's wonderful and the shed smells of it now :) The rabbits are certainly enjoying it and are eating it by the mouthful, not selectively picking choice bits out.

Thanks everyone for the pictures and recommendations.

I think I’ll go ahead and get a bag of the leafy green hay and buy another bag of the stalky stuff when that’s ready too :)
Now just to find a space to store 2 huge bags of hay and well as food and Fitch bedding :roll: I need an extension :lol:

Back