• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Has anyone experience of a rabbit with a blood glucose reading of as low as 1.5?

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
I'd be grateful for any input or insight as to diagnosis/diagnostics/prognosis/outcome etc.

Vet (not rabbit savvy and rather useless) gave an extremely poor prognosis, which I accepted at the time but I'm now questioning. I'm just gathering information before coming up with another plan.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you've a sick bunny BB. I've no experience to impart but I'd be erring on trusting your instinct over a useless vet. I honestly just thought really low blood glucose was severe anorexia & would have assumed if you could get bunny eating again prognosis (based on BG alone) would be better. Lots of vibes for bunny & you x

Thanks. I'm wondering too about that being the cause. I'm wondering about doing a blood glucose myself if I can get to Lloyds for a monitor (the one I have has strips about 2 years our of date). I've never managed it before but knowing the reading would mean a lot to me. Plan B is to get S to check on Monday.

Thanks Jane. Will read more thoroughly later but the thread Marie Kubiak posted on makes me feel more positive. My girl is too precious just to give up on.

Thanks. I've just realised Rudy one weekend had a speculative diagnosis of liver tumour and a very poor prognosis and he went on to live another 3.5 year... he didn't have a liver tumour but had a probable liver torsion. So, yeah, maybe this is transient and given how much energy she put into escaping the burrito at feed time *maybe* she's feeling a bit better today.

Last edited:
Dinky is very poorly today

Her blood glucose reading is 2.6 today and the probable diagnosis stands but she is otherwise very ill and fighting for her life... at the moment I am fighting with her.

Oh no I'm so sorry you've lost Dinky [emoji17]

You always fight so hard for your bunny and I'm so sorry Dinky wasn't able to pull through [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am so sorry to hear of Dinky passing. You did all you could for her and I hope she passed peacefully. Binky free little one.
Sending hugs to you x

Back