• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sarah Pellet

I haven't heard anything more yet, I might ring tomorrow if Kiah (the vet) hasn't called.

The bond is now re-established. I kept him in the house overnight and put him out again with Toffee the next day, and they were fine together almost straight away, grooming and cuddling up, so heaved a sigh of relief at that! He's absolutely fine at the moment, racing about round my feet while I type this! He is still on medication, I'm mixing a drop of strawberry Ribena with his Baytril, as instructed by the nurse who discharged him. Apparently Baytril is bitter tasting, so a bit of Ribena takes the edge off.

I'm still optimistic, hoping for a good outcome. He's only young yet, I'm going to give him every chance.

Thanks again for your messages and good wishes, I really appreciate it xx

I haven't heard anything more yet, I might ring tomorrow if Kiah (the vet) hasn't called.

The bond is now re-established. I kept him in the house overnight and put him out again with Toffee the next day, and they were fine together almost straight away, grooming and cuddling up, so heaved a sigh of relief at that! He's absolutely fine at the moment, racing about round my feet while I type this! He is still on medication, I'm mixing a drop of strawberry Ribena with his Baytril, as instructed by the nurse who discharged him. Apparently Baytril is bitter tasting, so a bit of Ribena takes the edge off.

I'm still optimistic, hoping for a good outcome. He's only young yet, I'm going to give him every chance.

Thanks again for your messages and good wishes, I really appreciate it xx

I'm so glad to hear they are back together again :)

I hadn't heard of putting strawberry Ribena with Baytril. In fact I didn't know there was even a strawberry version of Ribena!

Praying also for a good outcome. I hope you get some news tomorrow x

Hi, I had a message on my phone today from Kiah to say the slide of joint fluid she took and sent to the lab has come back with no 'naughty' (her word!) cells on it, ie no cancerous cells, and no infection either, so the most likely reason for his problem is osteoarthritis. I'll ring and speak to her tomorrow (she's on a half day today) but I feel mightily relieved that there is nothing 'bad' in there. She said to just keep him on Loxicom for now, the minimum dose seems to be adequate. We are still waiting for a report from Sarah Pellet re the second set of xrays, but hopefully there will now be no bad surprises.

BTW strawberry Ribena is delicious! :lol:

Hi, I had a message on my phone today from Kiah to say the slide of joint fluid she took and sent to the lab has come back with no 'naughty' (her word!) cells on it, ie no cancerous cells, and no infection either, so the most likely reason for his problem is osteoarthritis. I'll ring and speak to her tomorrow (she's on a half day today) but I feel mightily relieved that there is nothing 'bad' in there. She said to just keep him on Loxicom for now, the minimum dose seems to be adequate. We are still waiting for a report from Sarah Pellet re the second set of xrays, but hopefully there will now be no bad surprises.

BTW strawberry Ribena is delicious! :lol:

This is a really good update P, and what with the buns making friends again, I hope you're feeling a bit more hopeful and happy.

I know there's some more to come, but hopefully you will be able to deal with what's happening and keep Parsley comfortable :D

Bit of an update today, I've kept Parsley on Loxicom every day, giving the minimum dose unless he seems uncomfortable, then I've upped it a bit. I went to help the lady who runs our local Rescue (I help out there at the weekends, cleaning out, etc) and she asked me how Parsley was (I got him from her) and I told her he seems ok most of the time, but I'm a bit concerned about keeping him on Loxicom long term as I'm not sure if it could cause kidney/liver damage. She said that if he was hers, she would get the leg amputated and get rid of the problem. She said if kidney damage is caused by the loxicom, then I will end up having him PTS and it'll be my fault for not addressing the problem. I'm quite upset by this, I don't want to have his leg amputated without good reason, but I obviously don't want him in pain either. He's quite young still, roughly two and a half, and quite a small bunny, about 2 and a half kg, and it's a front leg, so I understand he may learn to cope quite easily.

Has anyone else got a three legged bunny? I'd be pleased to hear others experiences with amputation of a front leg. I've sent a message to Sarah Pellet, but she's on holiday till the middle of next week.

Thanks in advance.

Bit of an update today, I've kept Parsley on Loxicom every day, giving the minimum dose unless he seems uncomfortable, then I've upped it a bit. I went to help the lady who runs our local Rescue (I help out there at the weekends, cleaning out, etc) and she asked me how Parsley was (I got him from her) and I told her he seems ok most of the time, but I'm a bit concerned about keeping him on Loxicom long term as I'm not sure if it could cause kidney/liver damage. She said that if he was hers, she would get the leg amputated and get rid of the problem. She said if kidney damage is caused by the loxicom, then I will end up having him PTS and it'll be my fault for not addressing the problem. I'm quite upset by this, I don't want to have his leg amputated without good reason, but I obviously don't want him in pain either. He's quite young still, roughly two and a half, and quite a small bunny, about 2 and a half kg, and it's a front leg, so I understand he may learn to cope quite easily.

Has anyone else got a three legged bunny? I'd be pleased to hear others experiences with amputation of a front leg. I've sent a message to Sarah Pellet, but she's on holiday till the middle of next week.

Thanks in advance.

He's ever so young to have an arthritis problem :(

You could start him on glucosamine and chondroitin - oxbow joint support? It will take a while to kick in, but may make a difference and allow you to reduce the Loxicom. Acupuncture is also very good for rabbits with arthritis, as is cold laser therapy:

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/laser-therapy-amazing/

Yes, there is a danger of kidney damage, but there's evidence (and also on this Forum) of buns being on it for 5 years or more with no issues. I am quite surprised by what she said to you, and I would be very upset too :(

Yes they can manage without a front leg, but is he using his leg OK at the moment and is it helping him or hindering? I personally would be in favour of keeping the status quo and keeping him on the NSAIDs for the time being.

I wonder what Sarah will say. I am sure she is optimising the effect of the Loxicom at the lowest possible dosage for him xxx

Last edited:
Thank you MM for your reply, I feel much better now! I can rely on you for your common sense approach and your extensive knowledge.

I was upset by her comments, she is a very good friend of mine, but she is a real 'Jack Russell' and sometimes I think she is vicious without realising what she is saying.

He is still using the leg, sometimes well but other times he looks as if it's sore. He binkies about and races up and down the garden, he's eating and pooping well, and takes the loxicom as if it's a treat, so I think I'm going to leave things as they are at the moment. He's due his VHD2 vaccination in October, so I'll discuss further with his vet then.

Thanks again, and thanks for the link

Best wishes, hope all is ok with you xx

Thank you MM for your reply, I feel much better now! I can rely on you for your common sense approach and your extensive knowledge.

I was upset by her comments, she is a very good friend of mine, but she is a real 'Jack Russell' and sometimes I think she is vicious without realising what she is saying.

He is still using the leg, sometimes well but other times he looks as if it's sore. He binkies about and races up and down the garden, he's eating and pooping well, and takes the loxicom as if it's a treat, so I think I'm going to leave things as they are at the moment. He's due his VHD2 vaccination in October, so I'll discuss further with his vet then.

Thanks again, and thanks for the link

Best wishes, hope all is ok with you xx

You're welcome :)

Yes it's hard to bite your tongue when it's a friend - they mean well, but it just came out a bit aggressive :)

Racing up and down the garden and binkying would be so much harder with a missing leg! I always think quality not quantity of life, for animal and human, so my view would be as yours, to leave well alone for the time being.

And as many times as I correct the spelling of Loxicom - the autocorrect goes right behind my back at the last minute and changes it to Lexicon :roll: Makes me look like a right loon! :lol:

Back