• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Squidgy poos

So I've just spoken to Trinity - they don't think it has anything to do with meds but have recommended probiotics which he'll be started on tonight. They reckon it can have an impact quite quickly. I'll report back!

So I've just spoken to Trinity - they don't think it has anything to do with meds but have recommended probiotics which he'll be started on tonight. They reckon it can have an impact quite quickly. I'll report back!

:thumb:

Will he eat brambles ? If so they may be helpful too xx

Are you putting the probiotic in the water or syringing it?

I think we may end up syringing (although I'm yet to suss out the dosage). Harry has a keen nose for sniffing out food or drink which has ben messed with so I suspect adding it to water might result in him drinking less water.

I think we may end up syringing (although I'm yet to suss out the dosage). Harry has a keen nose for sniffing out food or drink which has ben messed with so I suspect adding it to water might result in him drinking less water.

Yes I agree, that's why I never put any meds or supplements into water x

I would only as Mark advised me to since in a bowl of water they don't get a lot of it and you can't overdose!

There should be instructions on the pot.

http://www.vetark.co.uk/pages/Avipro-Plus_4.aspx

You can't overdose, though it would become expensive if you did :shock:

ETA

When using AVIPRO PLUS ‘in/on feed' use 1 generous pinch per kg of animal or bird for routine use, or a third of a flat teaspoon per 10kg of animal.

Hi all, we've been syringing probiotic into Harry as he flatly refused to drink water that was spiked (and in this weather, that ain't good). The squidgy poos are no more. Hurrah! Now need to try and get my big pasteurella-suffering lop on board with the idea of being syringe fed as she could definitely use some extra help, bless her. Thanks all for your help - brilliant as always xx

Hi all, we've been syringing probiotic into Harry as he flatly refused to drink water that was spiked (and in this weather, that ain't good). The squidgy poos are no more. Hurrah! Now need to try and get my big pasteurella-suffering lop on board with the idea of being syringe fed as she could definitely use some extra help, bless her. Thanks all for your help - brilliant as always xx

Thanks so much Hannah :)

I'm glad to hear the probiotic has helped with Harry.

How does your lop need help?

Thanks so much Hannah :)

I'm glad to hear the probiotic has helped with Harry.

How does your lop need help?

My big floppy loppy is a pasteurella bun. When we rescued her she had a mad ear infection, the classic snuffly breathing and was covered in sebeacous cysts (we counted around 30 all over her body, that ranged from the size of a pin head to a pea). She initially had a long course of penicillin plus ear drops which she responded well to. As her lifestyle has balanced out and her diet is really good, all of the cysts have popped and she hasn't had any new ones since she arrived home which was about 8 months ago now. She does, however, seem quite prone to infection and has had a handful of flare ups in the time we've had her. Trinity vets don't want her on long term penicillin for obvious reasons so all we can do is give her the best defences to stay healthy. Along with a balanced diet and happy lifestyle, they suggested a probiotic might help. Molly doesn't agree :lol:

I dont know if echinacea will be of any good to her. I have snuffle buns and as soon as i hear a sneeze or snuffle they get fed a A vogel echinaforce tablet for about 2 weeks. Touch wood we have not had a major flare up since starting the tablets. My buns take them like treats and beg for more.

I dont know if echinacea will be of any good to her. I have snuffle buns and as soon as i hear a sneeze or snuffle they get fed a A vogel echinaforce tablet for about 2 weeks. Touch wood we have not had a major flare up since starting the tablets. My buns take them like treats and beg for more.

Ooooh! Worth trying for sure. Where can I get them?

Back