• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Grieving Bunny- upset tummy

beth_cf

New Kit
Hello,

I'd really appreciate some advice. Sadly, one of my bunnies had to be PTS on Sunday. She went downhill very suddenly within a couple of hours and the vet suspected something wrong with her gut but without scans etc. couldn't know for sure.

I've since been really worried about her mate Reg. He's stopped eating and has been hiding out at the top of his hutch obviously very confused about where his friend has gone. It's really sad to watch :( the only thing I've managed to get him to eat are tasty fruit veg such as celery, strawberries and kale. Unfortunately, he's now got diarhea.

I'm waiting to hear back from the vet as I'm worried that this could be the gut problem that my other bunny had- but he doesn't have the lethargy, runny eyes that she had. I think it might be the food I've been given him to coax him to eat.

He's not eating his pellets or his timothy hay. Is there anything I can get that's tasty/more solid to encourage him to eat proper food?

Thanks in advance.

brambles are really good, grass too. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I think your vet would be wise to ask you to bring your bunny in for assessment. Many get well vibes for him

brambles are really good, grass too. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I think your vet would be wise to ask you to bring your bunny in for assessment. Many get well vibes for him

I agree with all of this. In the circumstances I would certainly want the vet to examine my rabbit.

Sending him lots of vibes. I'm very sorry to hear that you lost your doe.

Hello,

I'd really appreciate some advice. Sadly, one of my bunnies had to be PTS on Sunday. She went downhill very suddenly within a couple of hours and the vet suspected something wrong with her gut but without scans etc. couldn't know for sure.

I've since been really worried about her mate Reg. He's stopped eating and has been hiding out at the top of his hutch obviously very confused about where his friend has gone. It's really sad to watch :( the only thing I've managed to get him to eat are tasty fruit veg such as celery, strawberries and kale. Unfortunately, he's now got diarhea.

I'm waiting to hear back from the vet as I'm worried that this could be the gut problem that my other bunny had- but he doesn't have the lethargy, runny eyes that she had. I think it might be the food I've been given him to coax him to eat.

He's not eating his pellets or his timothy hay. Is there anything I can get that's tasty/more solid to encourage him to eat proper food?

Thanks in advance.

I am so sorry to hear about your doe. And now poor Reg :(

I hope you've heard back from the vet and have some advice. It's best, if the vet advises, to take him in and get him looked over. He may need something to stimulate his gut whilst he is getting over the loss.

Vibes for you all xx

Thank you all for such quick replies. I've spoken to the vet and taking him in this afternoon- fingers crossed he'll be back to normal soon.

Thank you all for such quick replies. I've spoken to the vet and taking him in this afternoon- fingers crossed he'll be back to normal soon.

Thank you for coming back to us, and for taking him in.

Best vibes and please update when you can

Good luck xx

Thank you for the good vibes MightyMax. I really needed them this morning :) vet has given us some Critical Care which I've not used before but stinks so hopefully Reg will take to it. I've tried force feeding but got most of it round his face! I've had a search on this forum for some tips and it's been really useful so going to try again in a couple of hours.

Thank you for the good vibes MightyMax. I really needed them this morning :) vet has given us some Critical Care which I've not used before but stinks so hopefully Reg will take to it. I've tried force feeding but got most of it round his face! I've had a search on this forum for some tips and it's been really useful so going to try again in a couple of hours.

Good luck when you try again :)

What vets don't tell you is that a lot of rabbits really don't like the taste :roll:

I tend to mix some Ella's Kitchen (or other organic) baby food into it - possibly half and half. Mine usually love the banana and blueberries :) Or you can mix in some mashed banana, apple sauce, blended carrot, orange juice .. mashed parsnip - whatever goes down well.

Tried it with some banana this morning and so much better!! He even took a nibble at some hay this afternoon when I was pretending not to look :thumb: thanks so much for all the advice :)

Back