• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Selene and Elphie- ud Elphie again

Elphie and Selene now have the whole dining room.

I think Elphie's lost weight again. She's going through a horrendous moult too.

But today also happens to be her 7th birthday. (And Selene and Helios celebrated their 1st gotcha day earlier this month - but their gotcha day is the day after Galinda's death anniversary. :( ) So I bought and gave them some treats. March last year, I honestly didn't think she'd make it to 7.

Still take each day as it comes for these 2, but they are both still very happy in themselves.

Just thought I ought to write an update on these 2 as Iris has a thread of her own now too.

Happy Birthday Elphie :wave:

Love and hugs to all and you included tlc

Elphie and Selene now have the whole dining room.

I think Elphie's lost weight again. She's going through a horrendous moult too.

But today also happens to be her 7th birthday. (And Selene and Helios celebrated their 1st gotcha day earlier this month - but their gotcha day is the day after Galinda's death anniversary. :( ) So I bought and gave them some treats. March last year, I honestly didn't think she'd make it to 7.

Still take each day as it comes for these 2, but they are both still very happy in themselves.

Just thought I ought to write an update on these 2 as Iris has a thread of her own now too.

So pleased to read that Elphie and Selene are coping OK at the moment :)

Elphie is grateful for the birthday wishes. :)

The girls are at the vet tomorrow. Selene is due her nobivac. Selene's looking pretty good at the moment - and she's moulting for the first time in almost a year.

Elphie is still full of it, but looking very thin. I'm going to talk to the vet about putting her on pain relief permanently as I do believe her weight loss/gains coincide with when she last had metacam.

Sending lots of vibes for the girlies' vet visits today. I'm pleased they seem pretty stable at the moment.

Ok so appointment-

Selene is doing super in spite of the liver condition. Her spay wound is still visible (she was spayed March last year!) but she's finally having a moult. However that exposed her very yellow skin. Otherwise, she's great- teeth are fine, heart is good and strong, eating and pooping perfectly. Even ate a treat on the examination table. Greedy rex. She's up to 2.1kg! Ears are clear, eyes are mostly ok- 1 was weepy there and I just have to keep an eye on it as it was very new. If it worsens, eye drops. Just this :censored: liver condition which is affecting her. The vet reasserted the importance of quality of life over quantity. There's no doubting that there's quality of life right now. She had her nobivac and all was well.

Elphie. Not officially booked in but the vet kindly gave her a quick once over. Her weight is up since she had her nobivac but down from her peak at home. I asked about the correlation between weight and pain relief and the vet agreed she should be on metacam to help her quality. If it doesn't help her fill out, I might have to start thinking about 'those' questions. It's hard because she's her normal cheeky self, but obviously not in peak condition. It all makes me sad.

The vet also commented on how clear it was these girls loved me. That made me somewhat proud. :love:

Selene doesn't like me right now. She keeps thumping when I go in the room. And she's got more stubborn with the milk thistle extract. Both girls used to try and mug me for it. :(

The results from the vet appointment sound quite positive. Sending vibes for Selene. I hope she soon returns to taking her milk thistle extract without a problem.

Selene still hates milk thistle. Elphie loves metacam and milk thistle - tries stealing the syringes and everything. Elphie is much more full of it now which is excellent. Selene looks like a big healthy rex right now - if we didn't know otherwise, we wouldn't know she's ill.

They're both doing exceptionally well in the circumstances, aren't they. It really makes it all worthwhile.

Tan doesn't object to her Metacam, but she always goes and has a very long drink of water afterwards, presumably to get rid of the taste :)

Ok so appointment-

Selene is doing super in spite of the liver condition. Her spay wound is still visible (she was spayed March last year!) but she's finally having a moult. However that exposed her very yellow skin. Otherwise, she's great- teeth are fine, heart is good and strong, eating and pooping perfectly. Even ate a treat on the examination table. Greedy rex. She's up to 2.1kg! Ears are clear, eyes are mostly ok- 1 was weepy there and I just have to keep an eye on it as it was very new. If it worsens, eye drops. Just this :censored: liver condition which is affecting her. The vet reasserted the importance of quality of life over quantity. There's no doubting that there's quality of life right now. She had her nobivac and all was well.

Elphie. Not officially booked in but the vet kindly gave her a quick once over. Her weight is up since she had her nobivac but down from her peak at home. I asked about the correlation between weight and pain relief and the vet agreed she should be on metacam to help her quality. If it doesn't help her fill out, I might have to start thinking about 'those' questions. It's hard because she's her normal cheeky self, but obviously not in peak condition. It all makes me sad.

The vet also commented on how clear it was these girls loved me. That made me somewhat proud. :love:

What a lovely thing for your vet to say :love:

Of course, love is all you need. If you're a rabbit.

When you're a human, you need money to pay vet's bills, endless energy to keep up with changing demands, eyes everywhere to make sure they are OK all of the time ........................ and of course lots of love xx

When you're a human, you need money to pay vet's bills, endless energy to keep up with changing demands, eyes everywhere to make sure they are OK all of the time ........................ and of course lots of love xx
Yes, best wishes TLC :)

Selene was a bit flat this weekend gone. Gave her a small dose of metacam and she perked up. She's been ok since. But still, it's a stern reminder that there's good days and bad days.

Even so, so long as the good outweighs the bad, that's the most important thing.

Selene was a bit flat this weekend gone. Gave her a small dose of metacam and she perked up. She's been ok since. But still, it's a stern reminder that there's good days and bad days.

Even so, so long as the good outweighs the bad, that's the most important thing.[/QUOTE]

Exactly :D

On the matter of Metacam, Tan always makes a big fuss about having a big drink of water after her evening Metacam as though it tastes vile. I've noticed the past two evenings, Tethra has gone up to her afterwards and furiously licked her lips as there must be a little trace of it left :lol:

Even so, so long as the good outweighs the bad, that's the most important thing.

Indeed :D

You are so a writer, tlc. You express things so well :D

Indeed :D

You are so a writer, tlc. You express things so well :D

:oops: Thank you. That means so much.

I'm hoping to self-publish a novel within the next 2 years. I've always written fiction for pleasure. It's a hobby that costs nothing.

As for Selene and Elphie, there really isn't much to report. Selene feels nice and chubby. She's moulting, but she STILL has a shaved belly from her spay, which was virtually a year ago. Elphie is full of beans and charms everyone as always.

Selene has needed metacam two days in a row now. I know it's only two days in a row but still. I just hope I can keep her comfortable for a while longer. :(

Back