• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

An Opportunity to Help Rabbits and Make a Difference to their Lives

Snouter

Mama Doe
:wave:There was a previous thread on this subject, which many of us have read and responded to.

There is now a new Early Day Motion [EDM 58] regarding WELFARE OF FARMED RABBITS.

This is available via:

http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMList.aspx

Then click on No. 58 to look at the precise wording.

The Signatures button provides a list of which MPs have signed.

So, forum members can read the Early Day Motion and then, if they wish to do so, contact their MP to get them to sign.

Your MP can be identified via:

http://www.parliament.uk/mpslordsandoffices/index.cfm

This gives their contact details and email.

It can all be done without requiring a stamp!

My MP thinks that the existing legislation is 'adequate' so I need to email him again.

I hope that this is of assistance to everyone.

Last edited:
Here is the wording of the Early Day Motion:
That this House notes with concern the lack of detailed regulations concerning the welfare of domestic rabbits farmed in the UK; believes that farmed rabbits should not be kept in cages as this practice is not consistent with good welfare; notes that the welfare of farmed rabbits, including breeding does, is improved by housing in enriched group pens that provide greater environmental complexity, freedom of movement and opportunities for social interaction; further believes that rabbits should be provided with sufficient height and floor space to allow them to adopt normal postures such as rearing up on their hind legs and to carry out meaningful exercise such as hopping; supports a provision for solid flooring to reduce foot injuries in rabbits; further believes that all farmed rabbits should have access to environmental enrichment, including hay or straw and wooden sticks or blocks for gnawing, and improved housing design that allows for hiding and retreat; supports the work of the Four Paws organisation in this area; and calls on the Government to introduce regulations to phase out the keeping of farmed rabbits in cages and to make detailed provisions for their welfare.

My MP isn't listed as a signatory, so I have emailed her :)

Last edited:
You just need to say that you would be really grateful if they could consider signing this petition to improve the conditions for farmed rabbits. How much else you want to elaborate on is your choice, ie if you want to say why you think it's important in terms of what you know about rabbits and how sensitive and lovely they are as pets etc.

Do the links work?

Here is the wording of the Early Day Motion:
That this House notes with concern the lack of detailed regulations concerning the welfare of domestic rabbits farmed in the UK; believes that farmed rabbits should not be kept in cages as this practice is not consistent with good welfare; notes that the welfare of farmed rabbits, including breeding does, is improved by housing in enriched group pens that provide greater environmental complexity, freedom of movement and opportunities for social interaction; further believes that rabbits should be provided with sufficient height and floor space to allow them to adopt normal postures such as rearing up on their hind legs and to carry out meaningful exercise such as hopping; supports a provision for solid flooring to reduce foot injuries in rabbits; further believes that all farmed rabbits should have access to environmental enrichment, including hay or straw and wooden sticks or blocks for gnawing, and improved housing design that allows for hiding and retreat; supports the work of the Four Paws organisation in this area; and calls on the Government to introduce regulations to phase out the keeping of farmed rabbits in cages and to make detailed provisions for their welfare.

My MP isn't listed as a signatory, so I have emailed her :)

Wouldn't it be wonderful if they introduced this. Just a little bit of compassion could make such a difference to millions of animals.

I was thinking it would be fab if all rabbits had this! you need to copy and paste them into a new window

Oh right dohhhh:oops: I was being lazy and expecting them to take me through, I have an appt with my MP at the end of Feb so lets hope he signs it :lol::lol:

Wouldn't it be wonderful if they introduced this. Just a little bit of compassion could make such a difference to millions of animals.

But it's highly unlikely! I've signed millions of them and always get the same reply.. they've "considered" it but decided not to do anything :censored::cry:

I just wrote:

"I would like to draw your attention to Early Day Motion 58. Please consider supporting this important motion to improve the welfare of farmed rabbits."

Short and to the point :wave:

But it's highly unlikely! I've signed millions of them and always get the same reply.. they've "considered" it but decided not to do anything :censored::cry:

I know, but the more constituents they get hassling them to support something, the more they will 'consider' it ... probably.

I just wrote:

"I would like to draw your attention to Early Day Motion 58. Please consider supporting this important motion to improve the welfare of farmed rabbits."

Short and to the point :wave:

I didn't I wrote him an essay pleading with him to sign it :oops::lol: bet he can't wait to meet me:lol:

I didn't I wrote him an essay pleading with him to sign it :oops::lol: bet he can't wait to meet me:lol:

Me too!

he got this

I would be really grateful if you could consider signing this petition to improve the conditions for farmed rabbits.

As the owner of 5 rescues rabbits, I know that the Animal Welfare Act of 2007 requires the need of all animals(pets) to be met. The follow needs are stated in the act as
1. The need for a proper diet (including water)
2. The need for somewhere suitable to live
3. The need to be housed with, or apart from, other animals (as appropriate)
4. The need to express their normal behaviour
5. The need to be protected from pain, suffering, injury and disease

The RSPCA and the Rabbit Welfare Associaiton and Fund both recommend rabbits to be kept in a 6ftx2ftx2ft hutch and have permenant access to a 6ftx4ftx2ft run for exercise. They also recommend permenant access to hay or grass, and water.

However under farming laws most rabbits are kept in mesh cages with automatic food and water feeders, the cages are stacked in 2 or 3 tiers to utilise building space. The minimum area requirement for each breeding rabbit is arounf 2 ft.sq. Due to open wire cages those animal on the bottom levels are often soaked un urine, which can't be classed as a suitable accomodation.

I would like you to sign the EDM 58 and favour rabbits to be kept in a more natural surroundings with the ability to live in social groups as they do in the wild and as pets.

Me too!

he got this

I would be really grateful if you could consider signing this petition to improve the conditions for farmed rabbits.

As the owner of 5 rescues rabbits, I know that the Animal Welfare Act of 2007 requires the need of all animals(pets) to be met. The follow needs are stated in the act as
1. The need for a proper diet (including water)
2. The need for somewhere suitable to live
3. The need to be housed with, or apart from, other animals (as appropriate)
4. The need to express their normal behaviour
5. The need to be protected from pain, suffering, injury and disease

The RSPCA and the Rabbit Welfare Associaiton and Fund both recommend rabbits to be kept in a 6ftx2ftx2ft hutch and have permenant access to a 6ftx4ftx2ft run for exercise. They also recommend permenant access to hay or grass, and water.

However under farming laws most rabbits are kept in mesh cages with automatic food and water feeders, the cages are stacked in 2 or 3 tiers to utilise building space. The minimum area requirement for each breeding rabbit is arounf 2 ft.sq. Due to open wire cages those animal on the bottom levels are often soaked un urine, which can't be classed as a suitable accomodation.

I would like you to sign the EDM 58 and favour rabbits to be kept in a more natural surroundings with the ability to live in social groups as they do in the wild and as pets.

Thats brilliant do you mind if I nick it?

lottie louise -can I pinch yours too please?
(though clearly not copy and paste as I do not have any rabbits!)
I was just going to say this

Please could you tell me if you intend to support Early Day Motion 58-Welfare of Farmed Animals, as the Welfare of animals, (and rabbits in particular,is of importance to me?

I am now going to go with the polite request style of yours & see if his signature appears on it.

Thank you for finding this out.:D
I've always said changes in the law are the way forward but not known how to go about it.

There are thousands of UK members on this forum and if we all ask our MP's, hopefully this law will go through ?.:D

-sue:wave:

I have sent it now

When you go to look for No 58 just click on the forward arrows to go back to no 58

Last edited:
Due to other pressures, I have still got to write my second email to my MP asking him to support this EDM.

I intend to copy/paste/modify some of the suggested text on this thread. However, I think that I will also include a section to address the "I believe the existing legislation is adequate" argument that many MPs have used to several other people (including me) as an excuse to not sign.

I intend to ask the questions, "Have you actually read it yourself or have you just relied on 'advice' from others to make that decision? and "Do you know what the existing legislation actually means for conditions for rabbits?"

But very politely worded, of course.

MPs don't like to admit that they have not, personally, read, understood and scrutinised proposed legislation - that's supposed to be one of their main jobs as an MP.

Back