• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Good enough bunny mummy?

BinkyBun

Wise Old Thumper
Do you ever doubt yourself and question am I good enough? I know i suffer from teh dreaded d so it probably doesn't help these reflective moments...but today i keep wondering if I'm good enough. Do you get like this too?

I know I always take my babies to the vets if I'm worried about anything and they're fine and healthy. I clean their areas and stuff everyday. Feeding of course!! I don't know if its the keeping the two pairs in separate rooms thats making me feel this way. I'd love all 4 of them bonded together like the pic below and running throughout the flat together. I constantly worry do they feel loved enough? But then maybe thats me putting my feelings onto them? Do you do this too??

I used to but the longer they go on happy and healthy as they are, the more confident you get that you must be doing something right :)

YEP.

I'm a fairly anxious person. Never used to be, but became that way about a year ago... When I recently decided to get Barney a friend, I ended up having to search in places I had not before. And had to have a home visit from the RSPCA. I was in floods of tears, telling my mum I didn't know what I'd do if they came, said that no, I wasn't offering a suitable environment for a new rabbit. Because that would mean that I'd let Barney down. I think my poor mother thought I'd flipped. What's worse, I often wonder if I did all I could for my previous two rabbits. And I currently worry one rabbit feels more loved than the other...

So you're definately not alone in feeling that way. ^^

Yep, I sat on the phone crying one night because I was convinced that I wasn't good enough because I'd just got Charm and couldn't tell if he was improving or worsening. I wasn't used to him yet. Thank god for my bf he cheered me up.

i do all the time. To be honest i think its mostly forums like this that do it! There so many do's and dont's and it can get quite confusing at times! Also sometimes i find myself in a group discussion, and i am the minority, which makes me question myself ALOT.

YEP.

I'm a fairly anxious person. Never used to be, but became that way about a year ago... When I recently decided to get Barney a friend, I ended up having to search in places I had not before. And had to have a home visit from the RSPCA. I was in floods of tears, telling my mum I didn't know what I'd do if they came, said that no, I wasn't offering a suitable environment for a new rabbit. Because that would mean that I'd let Barney down. I think my poor mother thought I'd flipped. What's worse, I often wonder if I did all I could for my previous two rabbits. And I currently worry one rabbit feels more loved than the other...

So you're definately not alone in feeling that way. ^^

Thank heavens I'm not alone!! I even tell myself I'm being stupid but I still worry sometimes. Thats why I really wanted to have 4 bunnies so they all had a partner to cuddle up to as I didn't like Annie being left out sometimes. I have to keep reminding myself that I am good and my buns are healthy and happy - they binky enough!!

I couldn't sleep last night so was surfing the net when I came across an article about a "animal collector" which is basically someone who has too many animals to cope with - believes they are doing really well for them and keeps them in squalid conditions and never takes them to the vet. Now I know this isn't me because, (1) I always take them to the vet for nail and teeth checks and any other thing I'm worried about them at the time:rolleyes: (2) clean every day (3) I can't have anymore than 4 bunnies as it really is my max (4) i'm always questioning myself and checking in rabbit books or on this forum. BUT still I'm getting anxious because I read that article and now worry that other people might think I'm like that for having 4 bunnies.. I also worry because no matter how much I hoover and sweep up - when someone comes to visit or deliver a parcel there is always hay and rabbit poopies on the floor and I worry they think thats "sqaulid" :cry:

Thank heavens I'm not alone!! I even tell myself I'm being stupid but I still worry sometimes. Thats why I really wanted to have 4 bunnies so they all had a partner to cuddle up to as I didn't like Annie being left out sometimes. I have to keep reminding myself that I am good and my buns are healthy and happy - they binky enough!!

I couldn't sleep last night so was surfing the net when I came across an article about a "animal collector" which is basically someone who has too many animals to cope with - believes they are doing really well for them and keeps them in squalid conditions and never takes them to the vet. Now I know this isn't me because, (1) I always take them to the vet for nail and teeth checks and any other thing I'm worried about them at the time:rolleyes: (2) clean every day (3) I can't have anymore than 4 bunnies as it really is my max (4) i'm always questioning myself and checking in rabbit books or on this forum. BUT still I'm getting anxious because I read that article and now worry that other people might think I'm like that for having 4 bunnies.. I also worry because no matter how much I hoover and sweep up - when someone comes to visit or deliver a parcel there is always hay and rabbit poopies on the floor and I worry they think thats "sqaulid" :cry:

Awww hun xx

Seriously as long as you know your animals are all looked after thats all that matters ;) People always say to me but why do you have to have four of them, and I just say because I can offer four of them loving homes so why not :D Im always behind a bunny sweeping up and whenever someone knocks on the door there is going to be a bit of hay or a bunny poo on the floor somewhere in the house :lol: I dont really care to be honest, if anyone comes round I always say excuse the mess the bunnies are in the house even if its only one piece of hay on the floor but its not like the place is dirty, they mostly use their trays and hay just gets everywhere :lol:

i have the same fear! cos someone came round the other day i saw my bunny garden, and was amazed! They thought it was lovely, the fresh new turf, hutches, runs etc,and i asked them why they were shocked. and they were like 'oh i didnt think they were like this'. i just was like...what you thought i kept them in tiny hutches and never playd with them?!?!

I know!! ...People are always very suprised and impressed that I have rabbits running around just like house cats would :lol: They seem to like their toy house even more though "you mean thats for the rabbits? they know how to play with it?" :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks guys you're really making me feel better.

With 4 bunnies you can hardly be called an animal collector. Most people here have several animals. Hoarders collect and neglect, but you keep your bunnies as your friends and spoil them. That's a big difference. I'm sure you spend more time with your bunnies than a lot of us. I am sometimes worried that I don't spend enough time with my foster bunny, because if it is a single bunny then he/she does not have any company. My own bunnies have themselves and seem to be quite happy with that. They don't need me to sit and talk to them all day. The only worry I have there is that I feed them too much, because with 3 it is hard to control how much each of them eats, and Luna seems to have her nose in the food bowl all the time. :lol: But she is still growing at the moment.

Thanks Bavbun. I just get worked up and worried about things. I wish I could swap my brain with a good working one!! :rolleyes:

Yeah, I feel like that whenever I think about Bob and how I let him down. I just think that maybe I shouldn't have these 5 if I couldn't make him better and that maybe they could do better than me for a mum. I know losing him made me learn a lot more about rabbits so that it wouldn't happen again but as the days go past I just dread losing another one because losing him hurt so much and I know I haven't got over him dying yet - it's too hard.

I try my hardest with them and I know I put them before myself all the time and take them to the vets if I think anything is wrong with them so I am trying but I just don't want to let any of them down again.

Don't doubt that you're a good mum though BinkyBun, it's clear that you love your buns more than anything and do the best you can for them :)

x

Last edited:
i think we doubt ourselves bcus we pushj ourselves so hard to do so much for them. With dogs, cats etc its in a way easier because all the information is there. Rabbits are so misjudged and as we all know not childrens pets etc so, not only do we have to cope with trying to be the best we can we have to learn for ourselves as most of the information out there is incorrect. It makes so much harder. x

i feel like that sonetimes :( because i cant have them running round the house becauswe ofthe dogs they can only have their room and the landing. i also feel bead as they dont like to be handled much so when i see pics of people cuddling their buns and that i always feel sad but i know my buns just prefer to go and do their own thing. they will tolerate being cuddled and held but they much prefer to just wander around and come and steal food from me :roll: :lol:

I think I'm good enough - if there's anything they need, I get them it. They've got both indoor and outdoor accomodation now, they're both vaccinated to date, neutered and live together so they're not lonely. They're brushed twice a day, they're given bromelain tablets just incase they've swallowed any fur (but only every 2 days), they're eating a high fibre diet, they're insured, they stay with Kayj when I go away even though she lives a fair bit away from me - but I want the best for my bunnies, they have a whole day of play time, and are brought in to the kitchen a few times a day for a massive run around, they have 4 different types of hay, presented twice daily and updated when needed, they have fresh water day and night, they have cleaned out litter trays once a day, they have loads of toys for stimulation....

... but some people may argue this isn't enough, but my rabbits are clean, healthy, fed, bonded and happy... so I'm happy that I am good enough =]

I'm sure the biggest majority of the people on here are good enough too... all rabbits need are love, some time (but not as much as dogs, etc), space and, in a lot of cases, a friend =]

sometimes i wonder how they qould be if they were someone elses buns.:oops: just because i see how people have house rabbits, or how they know more than me and it makes me wonder

I do.

I can't hold my buns :oops: . They freak out and start twisting when i do. I get down on the floor with them instead and let them come to me for a groom. :shock: OMG! That's really bad isn't it!

Does anyone else have un-pick-up-able buns?

I do.

I can't hold my buns :oops: . They freak out and start twisting when i do. I get down on the floor with them instead and let them come to me for a groom. :shock: OMG! That's really bad isn't it!

Does anyone else have un-pick-up-able buns?

I never handle mine - except Benny who somehow needs his nails cutting and thank goodness is docile.

I can't believe you all doubt your abilities so much - the fact you come on this forum, ask questions and take an interest makes you brilliant mums :D

Back