• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help Wot Do I Do?

dddanb

New Kit
I have had a very long tearful conversation with the person who runs Eastbourne Rabbit Rescue :cry: She was so upset about things that are happenin an is having such a hard time with things an has said that she is gonna have to close her doors :cry:
Wot i would like to find out from ppl is where will that leave the ppl who foster rabbits for her as i currently do an also all the rabbits which come to her from East Sussex an surrounding area. If she isnt open wot will become of these needy buns?????

Hi the situation is very sad but if she isn't coping then I think her decision to close is for the best.

Lets hope someone else with a lot of rabbit knowledge and space and resources...:shock: ....opens up a rescue in your area....
.....until then if any rabbit is at risk..you could always take it and ask other recues nationally if they can take it when space allows:D

i dont know if this is the same place but im fostering a long haried bun to soon he has had babys who are now 10 weeks old

Help

If there were rescues in the area to take rabbits then there would b no need for Eastbourne Rabbit Rescue in the first place. She has a waiting list so obviously this proves that the need is there for her.
An as for me taking on extra buns as u should know as a rescue the time an money that is required for some of the buns to need the rescues in the first place is something i cant provide:cry:
This is the reason for me trying to help some needy buns by being a fosterer :) So explain how am i supposed to help an wot happens to all the hard work an money that she has put in to rescue buns from bad situations! I think she is a special person an think that it is a real shame she has chosen to make this decision an think she could do with a bit more support from ppl she thought would help!!!!!

Sorry but you asked for my opinion..I was only suggesting a way you may have been able to help one or two desperate buns in the future...

There is a need in all areas for decent well-run rabbit rescues..but sadly for the rabbits, not every area gets one.

I think lots of advice has been offered but not necessarily taken....as I said before it's a sad situation....

Last edited:
advice

:evil: :cry: Well as I say i have foster buns as it is an takin anymore is not an option as i do not have the funds to cope with more or the accomodation to have anymore buns.
I feel that Eastbourne Rabbit Rescue has done well by all the rescued buns that she has taken in an alot of the rabbits which she has rehomed have done well out of her being a rescue an they would have ended in different ways if it wasnt for her!!!!!
In my opinion i would say there isnt enough caring ppl out there who would do wot she has an take on the challenge she has an i think sje should b praised for wot she has done an think she needs to keep her doors open otherwise there are a lot of buns in need out there who will not have a future!!!:evil:
An i think if she had a bit more support from ppl it would make that difference an not have ppl sayin things behind her back :censored: Since I adopted my 4 buns from her i have had nothing but the greatest support from her an dont like the fact that the number of buns in need will go up due to her havin to close her doors :censored: :evil: :censored: :cry:

I think no matter how many rescues there are in an area there will still not be enough room for the amount of bunnies that need help :cry:

And if its gotten to the point where she cant cope anymore then maybe its best she does stop? I dont know the story here or anything but I do think that rescues can only take so many buns in and be able to cope.

We only have one animal rescue over here, they take in bunnies but know nothing about them really but I think its the same situation in many areas. I cant open a rabbit rescue at the moment but like to think im helping a little by sending them a hay experts parcel each month, going to cuddle their bunnies when I can and hanging out by the bunnies in pet shops telling people how important hay, vaccinations and a suitable hutch and run is. Its nothing compared to what rescue workers do but someone might listen ;)

Is there another animal rescue you could foster for? Ours dont advertise the bunnies they have in but they probably get in more buns than they do cats or dogs so maybe its worth seeing if you can continue fostering for another rescue?

:evil: :cry: Well as I say i have foster buns as it is an takin anymore is not an option as i do not have the funds to cope with more or the accomodation to have anymore buns.
I feel that Eastbourne Rabbit Rescue has done well by all the rescued buns that she has taken in an alot of the rabbits which she has rehomed have done well out of her being a rescue an they would have ended in different ways if it wasnt for her!!!!!
In my opinion i would say there isnt enough caring ppl out there who would do wot she has an take on the challenge she has an i think sje should b praised for wot she has done an think she needs to keep her doors open otherwise there are a lot of buns in need out there who will not have a future!!!:evil:
An i think if she had a bit more support from ppl it would make that difference an not have ppl sayin things behind her back :censored: Since I adopted my 4 buns from her i have had nothing but the greatest support from her an dont like the fact that the number of buns in need will go up due to her havin to close her doors :censored: :evil: :censored: :cry:

I am sorry that Caroline is unable to keep the Rescue going. However from HER posts on here it is clear that things are very difficult for her. Many people on here have tried to give constructive friendly advice and support but unfortunately it is always perceived as critisism. The Rescue currently appears to have some sort of disease outbreak, please see here

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=97735 Please read ALL of this thread

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=97494

In these circumstances ANY responsible Rescue would close their doors for a time. Taking more Rabbits into a disease outbreak is not 'Rescuing' it is putting Rabbits in danger :cry: I am certain that is not what anyone wants.

In view of the disease outbreak I would urge you to get your Foster Buns checked out by a Vet tomorrow.

This situation is very sad for all concerned :cry: :cry:

Janex

Last edited:

i dont think anyone is suggesting that she does not deserve support. however you must also understand that we are all trying in our own way to help out and rehome/foster/care for bunnies. mayb if you rallied your friends and neighbours you could get people local to you to help volenteer and to fundraise for her to help support her in that way? or mayb as i do understand that financial aid is difficult and all areas need bunny rescue centres and there arent enough , she could advertise for someone?or a group of caring local people to take on this huge task. hopefully fosterers will be able to care for buns in need until she finds the last lot homes. before finally closing. i understand the stress must be immense and she has obviously done her bit and should be proud of the acomplishments. and she must hold this dear to her. Also another thing to do would be a mass fund raising compaign to make more people aware locally about the situation and to possible take over the center for her? hope this helps. im sure everyones best wishes are with you and the buns... help however you can . as you alone cannot do everything. xx

also please dont see everything as a critism... everyone wants to help. and we all are aware this is very traumatic at present. but please listen and accept contributions as peoples opinions, and their way of giving advice and helping. as if you continie to be angry at people, they wil stop listening, sad as it is, you want compassion for the buns and rescue... give your fellow bunnylovers a chance to help by listening to advice given and not shoot them down we trying to help!

Last edited:
I will also underline Jane's comment that if anyone has foster bunnies form this rescue please keep them in quarantine conditions, get them vet chekced and DO NOT REHOME them for at least 3 weeks.

Again this is not being nasty ....this is trying to protect more rabbits from becoming ill and maybe dying:cry:

links

I have been following the threads that were mentioned. In reply to readin the threads about the problems that have been suggested to b linked to the wild cross rabbits which came from Eastbourne Rabbit Rescue. The illness that has been diagnosed has been ruled out in the case of her rescue an she did put this onto the forum cos i was there when she did it!!
I am really sorry an feel for the person havin to cope with the situation but it just seems as though ERR is being blamed when the cause has not been connected to her.
It just seems like alot of her stress is comin from this thread cos it is as though she is being blamed for summat that hasnt been proven:evil:
As for the suggestions of how to fundraise, rally round friends an family an try an either keep on or get the rabbits rehomed or taken on another way we have done alot of this anyway for the rescue to keep the donations in to keep it runnin an every which way we have gone there seems to b another problem :censored:
i know ppl are tryin to give advice but reading some of it i can c y it would b taken as criticism cos i dont think some ppl think about wot the person has tried or done b4 puttin things on here anyway!!

I have had a very long tearful conversation with the person who runs Eastbourne Rabbit Rescue :cry: She was so upset about things that are happenin an is having such a hard time with things an has said that she is gonna have to close her doors :cry:
Wot i would like to find out from ppl is where will that leave the ppl who foster rabbits for her as i currently do an also all the rabbits which come to her from East Sussex an surrounding area. If she isnt open wot will become of these needy buns?????

Ok firstly I think you need to realise you started this thread and people are not telling you what to do but are genuinely trying to help. I appreciate you are upset about the situation but taking it out on people on this forum is not going to help anyone or any rabbit.

When you asked where that would leave you and other fosterers what exactly did you mean? I foster for a rescue that is about 45minutes away from me and help out by doing homechecks in this area and supporting the rescues work in this part of the country. If there is not another decent rescue near you perhaps you could look further afield and find one that is willing to support your area? I appreciate that this is not a long term solution, and ideally the situation with the rescue you are currently working with being resolved would be, but it is an option for now. It might not help as many bunnies but every life protected is worth it.

Like has been said already, most rescues are full to overflowing with waiting lists they cannot see the end of. Everyone like yourself has a limit to their resources and as much as other rescues might like to help there comes a point where they just can't stretch themselves anymore. I'm sorry there is no easy and clear cut answer to your questions. You can only do what you can do and until rabbits stop being mistreated and dumped to the extent they are now there is going to be a need that cannot be met.

So are you wanting us to say 'all is fine, keep taking in Rabbits' :?

I am sorry but IMHO that would be wrong. You asked for our opinions and I am sorry they dont appear to be what you want to hear. I KNOW there have been many people trying extremely hard to communicate constructive, FRIENDLY, non-judgemental advice to Caroline. Much of this is being done off Forum. But I cannot say what you apparently want to hear, that all is fine and nothing needs to change. This is not a personal attack on anyone. I really hope things can be resolved and that no more Rabbits become sick.

Janex

I didn't think there was any link at all between Caroline's rescue and Louise's rabbits current outbreak of disease - UNTIL Caroline herself said that a couple of her own rabbits had developed the same symptoms, and that her vet didn't really know much about rabbits.

I really think a rescue needs a vet that knows a lot about rabbits, or there will be problems treating animals that have already come from a bad situation - Often these neglected rabbits that are dumped in rescue have problems which normal, cared for pet rabbits don't have, so the vet needs to be extra aware, not extra ignorant.

None of this reflects badly on Caroline, who is just being a good samaritan taking these animals in the first place, and probably puts her faith in a vet being 'a professional', but it is something every rescue needs to ensure they have in place, for the sake of the animals they are trying to help.

If Caroline needs a quarantine period then that's life - it doesn't reflect badly on her so I can't see why she would be upset over suggestions that quarantine is neccessary at the moment. Obviously there are no end of rabbits needing rescue in any area - that's a sad fact of life - you can only do so much, and when you are at full capacity you must harden your heart or risk not being able to care for the ones you already have responsibility for. Caroline strikes me as being a very caring and soft-hearted person, which is maybe why she gets offended easily by comments. Only she can change that.

help

Ok firstly I think you need to realise you started this thread and people are not telling you what to do but are genuinely trying to help. I appreciate you are upset about the situation but taking it out on people on this forum is not going to help anyone or any rabbit.

I know i started this thread and i havent said that ppl are tellin me wot to do when it comes down to it i offered to foster the rabbits an Eastbourne Rabbit Rescue agreed an i would like to say i have helped her out with rehomin some buns :)

An if it seems as though im takin it out on ppl im not an would never dream of it! Its just a situation that could happen to any rescue i know but it just seems to b that one thing after another has happened which hasnt helped the rescues situation.

So are you wanting us to say 'all is fine, keep taking in Rabbits'

I would neva dream of takin in anymore rabbits as already said i dont have the funds or the accomodation to do this!
I wish i knew wot i wanted ppl to say im just so upset by the whole situation an i really dunno wot to say to her about it all she is absolutely devastated as her rescue is her life an to close her doors knowing that there is so many needy rabbits out there is a v v big decision that she has had to make.

It is a big decision, and I really feel for Caroline having to make it.

I don't really know the background to what's happened, but perhaps one way of looking at it is that a 'quarantine' period would be a good chance for Caroline to take stock and also, take a bit of time out from the rescue (in the sense of not taking anymore rabbits in for, say, a month) and then - when she's feeling better and rested - then she might feel more confident about making a decision about the future of her rescue.

Im confused....has she just stopped taking rabbits during the quarantine period OR is she stopping for good? There seems to be conflicting opinions on this??

closin

Y would she need a quarantine period when there is no diagnosed illness?

An closing her doors for good!!!:cry:

I thiought she has an outbreak of coccidiosis? Or had had rabbits there who had suffered from it later? Its a nasty disease which is very hard to kill, just look at how its spread through Louises poor bunnies :( Its not worth the risk.

Back