• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My Bunny Is Not Moving Around:( Help Me!

smiilez

New Kit
Something is wrong with my bunny:cry: . I was putting her in the cage and she was fighting and kicking and I believe her paw hit the side of the cage. Since then she has not been moving and she is sitting with her right paw tucked in close to her chest. I tried putting her food in front of her and her water and even offered her treats but she refused all. I am scared this will continue and she will later on get sick. Please help me with your suggestions, because I care and love my bunny alot.:(

--Thanks to all of you who replied this all happened about 3 hours ago and I had put some lettuce and treats in her cage. I went upstairs for a while and I just went to check on her a little while ago and half the lettuce and the treats were gone!:roll:
I hope this means shes okay but the only problem is that her front right paw is still tucked into her chest when she is walking around in the cage, she is not using it. So what to do........ :|:(

UPDATE----Thanks again to all that has replied, I just went to see her and did what the previous writer said to do which was to put her in a enclosed area and watched to see if she is in fact using the paw.......I appears that she isn't using the front paw, but she is running around a bit. It seems like she doesnt even seem to notice because the paw is bending in weird positions, and she isn't putting up a fuss about it. She doesn't seem to be in pain and seems calm.......I'm not sure if I should be happy that she is moving around or worried that she is not using the paw.:( :(

Last edited:
hi this sounds distressing for both you and your rabbit, as im sure you are aware rabbits need to eat regularly.... however dont panic...(does she have a run she can eat grass in? is she eating behind your back?) if she is stil not eating she can be tempted.. with treats and if all else fails you can give baby food(obviously it must be vegatable or fruit) when one of my rabbits didnt eat she was kept alive on this basically as advised by the vet we bought mylupa baby food in apple flavour n fed it on a spoon. of course the other thing u must not forget is is she in pain? (mayb uv heard her grinding her teeth? ) go to your local vet and seek help it could be painkillers are needed! as i can see you love your rabbit dearly! good luck hope bunny is ok!

Oh dear, I would give the vet a buzz. It will likely be closed but there will be an emergency number to call to speak to the vet and arrange it from there.

Sometimes my bunnies do strange things with their paws when they are sitting but it does sound likely that she has injured it and has pain, hence why she is not eating.

Fiona x

Maybe your rabbit has broken its leg, are you able to get to the vets? It is important your rabbit is seen by a vet as it may go into shock:cry:

if your rabbit has broken its leg it will be in shock and shock is a fast killer in rabbits if left untreated as it causes pain and puts them of their food, which can be deadly.

An emergency vet can check your rabbit and prescribe painkillers to see him through the night but you will probably need to have x-rays done tomorrow if it is a suspected break.

Thanks

--Thanks to all of you who replied this all happened about 3 hours ago and I had put some lettuce and treats in her cage. I went upstairs for a while and I just went to check on her a little while ago and half of the lettuce and the treats were gone! :roll:
I hope this means shes okay but the only problem is that her front right paw is still tucked into her chest when she is walking around in the cage, she is not using it. I feel so bad for her. So what to do........ :(

Last edited:
--Thanks to all of you who replied this all happened about 3 hours ago and I had put some lettuce and treats in her cage. I went upstairs for a while and I just went to check on her a little while ago and half of the lettuce and the treats were gone! :roll:
I hope this means shes okay but the only problem is that her front right paw is still tucked into her chest when she is walking around in the cage, she is not using it. I feel so bad for her. So what to do........ :(

I think it is essential that you take your Rabbit to a Vet TONIGHT.
She may have a broken leg :cry:

Janex

Well the vet is closed and she is eating and drinking, but is there anyhing else I can do for her and her front paw............:|

If it was my rabbit I would get her out, put her down somewhere safe and enclosed and watch her closely to see if she is actually using the leg/foot, if you have any doubts, you really should seek vet treatment tonight.

most vets have an out of hours emergency surgery, if you ring your vet there`ll probably be a number to call so you can speak to a veterinarian & get advice or arrange to take your bunny into see them.

If your bunny has broken her leg she will be in pain & unfortunately bunnies go into shock very quickly, so she really does need to see a vet asap.

Please let us know how you get on.

Su.x

Update--

Thanks again to all that has replied, I just went to see her and did what the previous writer said to do which was to put her in a enclosed area and watched to see if she is in fact using the paw.......I appears that she isn't using the front paw, but she is running around a bit. It seems like she doesnt even seem to notice because the paw is bending in weird positions, and she isn't putting up a fuss about it. She doesn't seem to be in pain and seems calm.......I'm not sure if I should be happy that she is moving around or worried that she is not using the paw.:( :(

I would be worried that she is not using the paw. I really advise you to contact an emergency pet better to be safe than sorry.

Is she inside? Make sure she is kept warm and comfortable. I also wouldn't give her too much room to move about in - if it is broken then it needs to be rested. Keep an eye on wather she is eating/drinking and pooing like normal.

I agree - I would get her to the vet as soon as possible to have it checked.

It's good that she's eating, drinking, and moving around. ^^ You did the right thing by tempting her with treats. If you know she's hit her paw, and is now not using it, then she's probably in pain. Rabbits are very good at hiding pain. When a rabbit is in pain, they sometimes stop eating and their gut slows down which can have other complications. Ideally, she needs to see a vet who will be able to tell if her paw is just sore, sprained or actually broken. I know it might be difficult to find an emergency vet...

to add to what others have said..it really would be best to get a vet to check her ASAP..leaving it could cause more problems for her..keep us posted

do you have a vet you trust? is she actually registered with one? i think you need to speak to one TONIGHT , mine are always happy to take a call at any time. they will likely say to bring her for an exam and /or Xray first thing in the morning.:cry: hope shes ok...i understand your anxiety about cost (if indeed thats your worry) but even i would be worried about such an injury. can you see if it is broken yourself? without hurting her obviously?

My bunny broke his leg, but we wern't sure if he had or not, and delayed taking him to the vets, because we thought maybe he was using it, or because he was prone to sores on the bottom of his feet, we thought those were bothering him. He was eating and drinking fine and seemed okay, but he still wouldnt' put his foot down 3 days later we finally took him to the vet, because he had often had his leg up for a day or so but not 3 days straight, and they said it was broken and because it was broken for 3 days they couldn't fix it and had to amputate it. So I would get you bun to the vet asap! Because my bun being old never managed to recover after that!

Back