• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit has broken his back leg

You see this kind of **** all the time with animals. People want them then don't want to be responsible for their proper care. :evil:

I hope these people did the right thing and did take the bunny in for help.
Hopefully he is ok with problem solved...

Hey Sophie, I know and understand that it is difficult when you are young with pets and they need treatment but there will be a way you can take your bun to the vet (and I truly hope you have managed to already). The PDSA will help you if your family are on income support etc and you mentioned a sister - are they over 16?, they can ring. Also ring up your local vets and explain the situation, they will work out an installment scheme with you that you can afford. Also if you REALLY and ABSOLUTELY cannot afford it, please try and find a rescue or the RSPCA that will take your bun in. I know it'll be hard but your bun simply must see a Vet.

Please do keep us updated, we all want to help you both.

XxXx

I don't mean to criticise as I know EVERYONE has their own financial situation, but honestly, if you were laying upstairs in your bed with your leg broken and twisted back, they would rush you somewhere IMMEDIATELY. It is no different with a pet.:cry:

Hi, unfortunately there are some people out there who think its ok to leave children in this situation so we shouldn't be surprised that some parents think its ok for the animal to be left like this. This girl has come on here asking for advice, its not her fault that her parents attitude is so negative, we need to try and encourage her as much as possible, otherwise she won't come back for more advice if she feels people hate her.
Sorry guys but I work with teenagers in care so have seen some pretty horrific cases and unfortunately the attitude from the parents is not uncommon.
Jess

My parent's were not being unfair at all, Bubbles is now at the vets and is recieveing treatment. I'm about 15 - 20 mins from Norwich. My mum was worring the whole time and she rushed him to the vets. We have had a very very hectic day today, me and my mum was up until 4.30am with one of our guinea pigs who just gave birth to four babies, making sure everything was ok, then I was in and out checking the rabbit whilst my mum rung the vets and PDSA (PDSA Couldn't help out!). The vet said that he done an x-ray and his leg is broken.
They are going to use a Splint and keep him in for a while to see if it heals.
We are worried about him, but the vet said he should be fine, so that cheered everyone up a bit.

Sophie :wave:

Last edited:
Well done Sophie, I'm glad you got her sorted and I hope the vet can fix her leg. Did they give you an idea of whether they thought it was broken or not?

Well done for getting him to the vets. We all just wanted to make sure your bunny got appropriate treatment and wasn't suffering from any pain.

Had bubbles broken his leg?

Well done Sophie, wishing Bubbles a full & speedy recovery...

Ive been begging my mum and dad and they really really can't afford it at the moment. Should I try and ring the PDSA, or will they not listen to someone of my age?

I think it was misunderstood that your parents weren't listening to you when infact you were concerned that the PDSA would not speak with a minor (someone under the age of 16)? I hope that they assisted you?

PS Have just read your updated post Sophie :wave:

Last edited:
glad to hear the bun made it to the vet okay!! how was it broken anyway, do you know? or just found that way?

wishing a speedy recovery!!

Well, we think he might of got caught in the door.
When we let the dog outside the rabbit runs up to her, circles her and follows her. So when she comes indoors the rabbits hops into the utility room and follows a couple of steps. Yesterday from what my little sister said who is 6, she thinks the rabbit followed the dog into the house while she was holding the door open, the dog came in and she was about to shut the door when she realised the rabbit had followed, and she didn't grab the door back in time because of the wind. So he could of got caught in the door, but if he was he would of still been trapped when we next opened the door, which he wasn't.
My dad suggested a fox, being that we live nr the woods, but there would of been blood if the fox caught him. There is nothing in our garden that he could climb up and fall off. We have a wide, but not really a high ramp going up into his cage so he can shelter in there. But that is too low to fall off and hurt himself on! :shock:

Does your bunny have free run of the garden then, day and night? You should never let him run around without being in the garden and watching him. Foxes can come into your garden at any time of day, even when you don't expect it. And I would not let the dog and bunny be alone together, either. Dogs can sometimes be a bit rough, when they play with other smaller animals.
Hope the leg heals again.

Does your bunny have free run of the garden then, day and night? You should never let him run around without being in the garden and watching him. Foxes can come into your garden at any time of day, even when you don't expect it. And I would not let the dog and bunny be alone together, either. Dogs can sometimes be a bit rough, when they play with other smaller animals.
Hope the leg heals again.

The Rabbit goes in his cage at night, and the area where he runs around is directly outside our kitchen window. I'm home ed and sometimes I do my work outside and watch him, or sometimes in the kitchen and then I keep an eye on him. The dog is watched as well when she goes out there. My dad separated part of the garden off for the bun so its safer for him. We are hopefully moving house to a place with lots more land so my dads going to build a huge shelter for him :D

Hi Sophie:wave: I'm sorry that your first day on the forum has been so fraught!
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Bubbles makes a full recovery. Rabbits are such fragile creatures, and I know that their ownership has been ,for me at least, a steep learning curve! Please keep us updated.:lol:

Hi Sophie:wave: I'm sorry that your first day on the forum has been so fraught!
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Bubbles makes a full recovery. Rabbits are such fragile creatures, and I know that their ownership has been ,for me at least, a steep learning curve! Please keep us updated.:lol:

Hey!
Thankyou very much :D

:wave: Sophie x x

How old is he? Do you have any pictures you can post up for us?

He is now four years old.
I Have a couple of pictures. I added effects to this one, printed it off on photopaper and put it in a frame :(
MyBubbles.jpg

Back