• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit has broken his back leg

The bun should have seen a vet first thing when this was discovered, or when there was a chance to get him to the vet (i understand the not being able to drive thing).

These animals do hide their pain very well as someone has stated before.. goodness, could you imagine trying to sleep with a leg broken and turned the wrong way?

Please, please take the rabbit immediately to the vet :cry:

I've noticed that this girl is only 13, so I doubt when the rabbit gets seen by a vet is actually up to her. But PLEASE plead with your guardians to take this rabbit immediately, just imagine the pain your bun must be in right now :cry:

I've noticed that this girl is only 13

Too true :( Which is why I understand it may be difficult as she obviously can't find transportation as easily as an adult could. Most of her friends (her age anyway?) can't either.. :rolleyes:

Please, please find a way to stress the issue than this bun needs to see a veterinarian immediately. :cry:

Ive been begging my mum and dad and they really really can't afford it at the moment. Should I try and ring the PDSA, or will they not listen to someone of my age?

If they are receiving Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit then they can get your bun treated for free by the PDSA.

If your parents won't listen I would definitely phone them and ask for some help. Or try calling a local vet who might be nice enough to help. Another alternative is to hand over your bunny to a rescue or the RSPCA where they can get him the medical treatment he needs. I know that would be a really horrible and very very difficult thing to do but you can't let him suffer :(

I'm sorry but it's very irresponsible of them to do this :(

The PDSA/vets will only speak to poeple 16 and above.

This is quite awful really, its not a case of not being able to afford it so hoping it will just go away. This rabbit has sat with a possible broken leg ALL day, its just not right. You owe it to the rabbit to offer it care, thats what owning pets is about. I'm sorry you are a minor and cant do anything about it yourself. If you cant afford the vets I'd suggest you call the RSPCA to come take the bunny away for some emergency treatment.

I don't mean to criticise as I know EVERYONE has their own financial situation, but honestly, if you were laying upstairs in your bed with your leg broken and twisted back, they would rush you somewhere IMMEDIATELY. It is no different with a pet.:cry:

Owning a pet is a privelege and a luxury, not a right :( And I know this is none fault of yours as you aren't old enough to financial and age-wise lawfully do these things on your own such as driving the rabbit to the vet and paying for it yourself, but your parents are responsible for the rabbit.

I would definately suggest contacting said organizations in order to save the bun's life..

I am sorry I know this may seem harsh but how selfish. Your parents took on responsibility for the rabbit and now they need to follow it through. I grew up with lots of animals and when they got sick and we were tight we had no shopping treats nor did my parents. I mean we just had enough for us to eat and we on many occasions ate beans on toast. Vets will allow u to pay a bit at a time as they would rather the rabbit wasn't suffering. Last year my cat had to be put down after a series of tests then my dog got bloat and I had just had to leave uni later being diagnosed with a rare heart condition. I was landed with a 400 pound bill and I paid it a bit at a time. No nice vet will refuse treatment. Show your parents this thread and hopefully they will realise how serious this is. PLS GET THE RABBIT TO THE VET HE WILL BE IN PAIN.

Last edited:
The RSPCA hotline is 0870 55 55 999, the aco's are on call 24hours. Someone would be able to collect your rabbit tonight to get him the treatment he needs.

What do they think will happen? That the rabbit will miraculously heal? I'm sorry but they need to get off their behinds and act responsibly. Goodness, I can't believe people can watch an animal suffer in that way...

That poor, poor animal.

GET THE BUN TO A VET NOW OR CALL THE RSPCA.

that poor bunny.i know money issues can be hard sometimes but when an animal is injured the first thing you do is get it sorted.they are part of the family at the end of the day.hope it goes to a vet today before its too late.:cry: xxxx

Sophie, can you pm me the town you are in in Suffolk, so I can see what there is available to you, who would be able to do something for this poor bunny NOW. We will try and help you, but you must stay on the forum so that we can do this.

This rabbit is in real danger of going into shock which is a fast killer. I cannot impress on you how important it is to relieve his pain before he stops eating and ends up in gu stasis. Painkillers are not expensive and if the ends of the broken bone are still aligned (unlikely after all this time) he may not need surgery just rest and recouperation.

In the meantime offer him his favourite foods, keep him warm and most importantly keep him restrained in a small box or cage to limit his movement (just big enough for him to move about and lie down). If he wont eat or drink you will need to syringe feed him baby food and water.

Has bun been to a vet yet?

It could actually wind up costing more if bun is left untreated, as break may get infected.

It's illegal to not get vet care for an animal that needs it. Not to mention cruel.

Can you please keep comments here constructive. Although the situation is distressing chasing someone away from the forum is not the way to help!

Admin

Tamsin, sorry if one of the posts you refer to was mine. Not meant to be hypercritical at all, just worried about the bun. Am in a bit of state re my bun and maybe that's why it came out that way.

I hope Sophie has managed to find a way to get some help for her pet.

Sophie – please let us know how it's going. There are some brilliant people here who can advise you.

Sophie, if your parents wont get her veterinary treatment, would they be prepared to sign her over to a rescue? As you are in Suffolk I doubt you are that far away from me, I am in Norwich. Although I am full at the moment I would be prepared to take her into the rescue, I would get her the immediate treatment she needs. I am sure you already understand this bunny must be in a lot of pain and needs treatment asap.

Back