• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit has broken his back leg

Sophie_132007

Warren Scout
Hi everyone, Im new to this forum and was wondering if someone could help me...

I came downstairs this morning and my mum told me that our rabbit looks like he has broken his leg. So I went to see him, and looking at the leg closer, he has twisted it all the way round and can't walk on it.
Ive been handfeeding him and he's eating the food fine. I also gave him some water and he drunk that. I don't know what to do now, I have a feeling the vet bill is going to be massive! Is there anything I can do to help him?
Thanks

Sophie

Depending on how badly broken it is the vet will probably give you an option of getting it fixed or amputating it.

It could be that it's dislocated not broken..

Definitely get him to a vet ASAP!! Imagine sitting about with a broken leg, owwwwwwww!!

If you can't afford the vet fees then the PDSA or RSPCA may have a vet clinic that offers discounts. If you can't afford the treatment or find somewhere that will offer free/discount treatment you can afford then you need to sign him over to a rescue that can treat him. Rabbits don't show signs of pain like other animals do as they're pray species and don't want to attract predictors - however this doesn't mean he doesn't hurt. As his owner you have to make sure you do the right thing for him, even if that's pass him on to someone that can help.

my rabbit had her front foot twistd all the way around and i thought it was broken. she wasnt walking on it either. i took her to the vet and she said it was just twisted and to give it a few weeks. i hope its just twisted.....
good luck and keep us updated

Hi Sophie, sorry to read about your bunny. What part of the country are you from? Tamsin has given you some excellent advice.

I'm living in Suffolk.
I really think his leg is broken.
Its bent backwards and he's dragging it along the floor, I was sitting with him and he came over to me, so he is still walking on it. I'm going to ring the PDSA and see if they can help. Is there metacam you can get for rabbits?
Thank you for the advice Tamsin :)

Sophie :cry:

I really think you need to get your bunny to a vet asap, he really could be in lots of pain. You can use Metacam for buns (dosage depends on weight of bun I think), but it isn't licenced for their use so I really would advise you see a vet tonight so they can make your bun comfortable.

I would class this as an emergency situation as if I had a suspected broken leg I'd want it sorted sooner rather than later! :shock:

Please take your bunny to see a vet...

Please, please get this little bunny to the vet, it sounds as if he really, really needs to be seen ASAP. Could you imagine sitting about with a possible broken leg, ouch:cry:

The reason it is a life and death emergency is because rabbits die from infections from broken bones, and even too much pain from something can kill them.

Thankyou Mad Bunster for the links.
I'm going to ring the vets first thing in the morning & take him in as an emergency. My sister phoned the vets earlier and they said its £14 for a vet to see him, which is fine, then they will decide what to do.

you really shouldn't wait until the morning for somehting like this..he needs a vet immediately
I'm not trying to offend but is was this morning that you noticed his leg..he has been left all day..he needs a vet NOW!

Back