• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Holiday bunny

capel

Warren Veteran
My friend has asked if I'd be able to look after her giant housebun here while she is on holiday. Floss and Bournville are now outside fulltime so won't be in the house anyway. I've a couple of questions:
How are housebuns with a change of environment? Could there be any behavioural problems as she'll be in a strange house with people she doesn't know? She'll be bringing her rug,litter tray, feeding bowl etc with her.
She would be here for a week..how long will her scent remain in the lounge and hall area...will a good hovering all round with a carpet freshener in the vacuum after she's gone help mask her scent..I'm just wondering how F&B might react later when they come in.
How do I persuade O/H that this is a great idea???? :)
Her owners generally have a housesitter for her or take her with them, but neither of these options is possible this time.

Aww a big bunny. Sorry I'm no use with the housebun scenarios, but hopefully you will get good advice.

I think bunny should be fine on holiday in your house, though not sure how to 'de-smell' the house unless you fancy the old bit vinegar pong in your rooms!

Fiona x

Hi Fiona..yes, she's a big girl..nearly 18lbs! I do hope someone with some experience of this comes along soon with some advice. If it's do-able(is that a word??) then I'll discuss it with O/H.

I don't know about de-smelling your rooms, but I have a free-range house bun that I have taken to stay at other peoples houses and she is fine. Settled in really quickly both times - just hopped around very curiously until she know where everthing was then lay down with her legs stretched out :D We took her vet bed, litter tray etc and set it up in a corner and litter training was mostly transferable too - just the odd currant left around which I guess is normal in a new place.

This was at Christmas when the only option was to take her with us - we had about 4 days at each of two houses with a car ride in between and she seemed fine in both houses and was fine when we got home too. I guess it would depend on the bun - Asta is very chilled out.

Tell o/h you're really missing your buns being in the house and by having her for a week it will help alleviate this and then you wont want to bring yours back in (for good!) :lol: :lol:

:lol: Thanks for the replies. Millie is a very chilled out giant and I'm assured that she doesn't dig at the carpets, chew wires or furniture or do very much in particular apart from sit on your feet and demand grooming!! Oh, and she snores!! Her one awkward "issue" is that she is very difficult to catch and actually actually screams when you go to pick her up, which I find unnerving but Jen is used to that now and just ignores it! She knows nothing about her history apart from the fact that she was found in a very neglected state at the side of a road, so goodness only knows what the poor thing suffered to make her so frightened of being picked up. I've got till Thursday to make a decision so any more views would be welcome. :)

Hilda go for it :D ... Couldn't you you let her have free range in the hall,bathroom ? I know shes a big girl but you hall is big enough for her to still have the space... If you do have her I'll pop up to see her :D ..

:lol: Hi Karen. I forgot to mention her other quirk...won't/can't put a foot on shiny woodblock flooring!! I'm happy for her to sprawl around in the lounge, but the problem will be picking her up to shut her in the b/room when go to bed! If I do get her on loan you'll have to come up and admire her..she makes Bertie look tiny!

Back