• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please help me - agressive Rabbit

Littlebobo

New Kit
Hi there,

Please help me i really dont know what to do :cry:

I have two lop eared rabbits who i love dearly but recently one of them has become VERY agressive she has always been quite grouchy and has taken to biting me and has drawn blood on two occasions.

I have had them checked by vets for ailments and they are both spayed.

I have seperated them and now in the process of getting a larger hutch - please bear with me as i am still learning LOTS about bunnies and was really lied to about the pet shop that sold them to ( we wont go into that one)

I really would like to get them both mates but obviously i think that this behavior needs help and I work full time so not sure i have the time to devote to Much 100 % but no way do i intend on giving her up !...can anyone tell me if there is someone out there who can help ?..

Also can anyone recommend a good Hutch maker/some who can help with shed conversion.

Please help me I feel like i am being cruel to my bunnies as Poppet has had to be seperated from Munch as Munch is so agressive and must be scared of something :(

I do know that there has been foxes about in the past so perhaps this could have scared her?

Did you separate the bunnies because they were fighting with each other or because one became aggressive with humans?

Have you had bun fully checked out by a vet? Aggression could be caused by pain - & it may not be easy to spot. I'd have her back & teeth checked & make sure bun is eating fine & normally. Tumours etc can cause abnormal behaviour. An incomplete spay led one of my buns to be hormonal & not her usualy friendly self. Vet could check with a scan or by opening bun up again.

it could also be territorial - is she aggressive in her cage or run? It might be a case of limiting handling in "her" space

fear can cause it too - so loud noises or seeing/smelling a fox or sommat unusual could set her off.

If bun is lonely or "angry" with being separated from her friend, that will cause her to be unhappy - or if bored or not getting enough exercise.

Never shout at or punish bun with your hands if they are aggressive - they'll see them as a threat & may "attack".

I have an aggressive bun. He's fine with other buns, just not with humans. He liks nose rubs, but on his terms, so mostly I handle him wearing thick layers of clothing & oven gloves :roll: :D

Is Munch an albino (red eyed white) ?

Wondering is the aggressiveness could be due to poor eyesight, causing her to bite because she if frightened when people approach :?

I have 2 males & they are both are aggressive i took them from a farm & they was only about 5 weeks old, they was never handled & left out in a old made box with wet straw to live on, i took them & put them in a wendy plus had a hutch & run made for them & took them straight to the vet who then castrated them both did the teeth & had the injections, but from day one they have been aggressive towards me, i can't let my son handle them or anyone else for that matter as they have made me bleed so many time plus i had to go to the doctors as one of them had taken a piece from inside my nose when i picked him up with his nails, the vet said it is because no body handled them or really bothered with them from the start & they will always be like this...the one good thing for my two is that they have each other so really don't need me as they have each other & they don't fight at all which is a blessing.
God luck & i hope you can work something out, but i would if you already haven't, take her to be checked out by the vet just in case.

Hi :)

I wondered the same question, were they fighting? I would keep them together if they weren't. Reintroduce slowly and on mutual territory if its been a while.

How big is their current hutch and what exercise do they get? Do they have access to a run?
If she has been given the all clear on the health front it could well be that she is unhappy and feeling threatened due to being confined to an area that isnt quite enough for her :)

I think there are some threads on good rabbit housing in the rabbit chat section :)

Hi all,

Firstly her and her 'sister' ( i was told they were related but not sure to be honest) were seperated as they both fough quite badly.

One is currently in a very small hutch and run ( this is temporary as i am looking at getting one made ASAP) and the other is in a HUGE run as she is the more 'hyper' bunny ( the agressive one).

I think i will have to get them both a male as i have been told 2 girls would never get on, I have also had them checked by vets, I dont think she has bad eyesight as she gets very excited when she sees me walking down the path towards me and can often be seen running in a circle like a nutter lol .....

I was out with her this morning and manged to get her litter tray out without getting biten but have also heard that it could be that she feels i am invaiding her space and that she is a very clever bunny and knows that biting me will stop me going near ?...I do pick her up and cuddle her every day so she is used to being handled ...i really hope that i can get this to stop!!

Just realised how much i have waffled on sorry !!

Will check out the other areas for housing information ..thanks everyone and sorry i just feel so worried !

Back